DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Cheeky so 'n' so!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Wonky

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Cheeky so 'n' so!

Hi you Aussies and Kiwi's Razz

I wonder if any of you can help me with a bit of travel advice - absolutely not related to D3's?

I am visiting Aus in about 6 weeks and am flying from Perth to Melbourne, where I am picking up a car (hopefully a cheap one- can't afford to hire a D3!) to drive via the coast road to Sydney for four nights then flying off to Cairns for 5 nights (then back to Perth and rellies!)

My question is, can anyone recommend, firstly a reasonable hotel (economic) for the one night in Melbourne, secondly a reasonable hotel in Sydney for sightseeing and most importantly, where to go around Cairns? The last one is bugging me at the moment because we don't really want to stay in Cairns - looking towards Port Douglas or maybe Trinity Beach, but want to snorkel the reef and visit the forest (Karunda railway?).

Being completely ignorant of things over the east and north of Aus, I am hoping your supreme and maybe local (?) knowledge can help out a fellow D3'er!

All advice gratefully received. Maybe best by PM to avoid getting too far away from the reason for the forum!

Sorry mods if this post is inappropriate, please deal with accordingly

Martin W
 07MY TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey + Alpaca
No ugly kid glass!
Side steps (one with dent!)
BIG GRIN (although turned down at the edges)
Extremely empty wallet 

Post #25292730th Jan 2008 4:48 pm
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wonky,

What date do you arrive in Melbourne Question Smile

(and how many people) Question

Might be a good excuse to take off down The Great Ocean Road and show you some of our beautiful country 8)

Post #25299930th Jan 2008 8:36 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Wonky
What sights do you want to see in sydney, how long are you staying, could affect where you stay.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #25300430th Jan 2008 8:48 pm
Wonky

SKP wrote:
Wonky,

What date do you arrive in Melbourne Question Smile

(and how many people) Question

Might be a good excuse to take off down The Great Ocean Road and show you some of our beautiful country 8)

Hi SKP (or should I say G'Day?),

We (me, the boss and youngest daugthter) are arriving in Melbourne at stupid o'clock on 2nd April (around 5am). We are 'obliged' to meet up with people we know on that day/evening but are hoping to see some of the Great Ocean Road, probably using whatever car we hire (won't be a D3 though! Crying or Very sad ), and something of Melbourne. Looks like they willl be putting us up for the night so there's a cost saving!

Any info you can give will be gratefully received.

Martin W aka Wonky
No ugly kid glass!
Extremely empty wallet 

Post #25309130th Jan 2008 11:17 pm
Wonky

caverD3 wrote:
Wonky
What sights do you want to see in sydney, how long are you staying, could affect where you stay.

G'Day Caver D3 and thanks for your reply.

We're arriving in Sydney on the 4th April and staying 4 nights. Only thing we definately want to see and do is climb the harbour bridge, see the opera house, maybe a boat trip around the harbour and perhaps see the blue mountains.

Any advice is welcome! We have considered staying at 'The Rock' area but seems pricey? Shocked

Martin W aka Wonky
No ugly kid glass!
Extremely empty wallet 

Post #25309530th Jan 2008 11:22 pm
White Disco

Australia 

Try getting a hire car through your airline. It can work out much cheaper than "rack rate".
Pre pay & buy through Hertz??
Most companies here have small Hyundi Getz/ Toyota Yaris for around $50/day + bull S Censored t.
Even some car clubs eg R.A.C. can do discount O/S car hire (well RACV can here).
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #25309830th Jan 2008 11:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Wonky wrote:
Only thing we definately want to see and do is climb the harbour bridge
Suggest you book it now then as it's normally fairly booked up http://www.bridgeclimb.com Definitely worth doing Thumbs Up The End  
Post #25310430th Jan 2008 11:30 pm
andym

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Novotel Darling Harbour right on the waterfront and in the action - you cant go all that way and be out of it. Not too expensive and includes a good breakfast buffet.

I hired a big Nissan Patrol for the same price as a saloon they were desperate to shift them and if your driving to the rainforest you get to go through a few fords.Almost drove into a river on a night drive which had crocks dont expect warning signs that you are approaching a ferry.

Stayed at the Sheraton Port Douglas which was nice as you may not be able to swim in the sea or even paddle at this time of year - box jelly - although this may be at the end of the season The hotel could be booked reasonably enough but you wont be able to afford to eat there 50 quid for breakfast for 4 so eat out.

Daintree forest is a must.

Went to Cape (fear ) tribulation beach which was pretty spooky from the bones on the beach there's a campsite there with bungalows which I believe is owned by a brit.

Post #25310830th Jan 2008 11:34 pm
White Disco

Australia 

Best value for money boat trip is to buy an all in one public transport ticket that combines train,govt bus & ferries on the one ticket and go to Parramatta & back from Circular Quay. I reckon it's the quickest way to take in more of Sydney than any other method. You go under the coathanger, err.. sorry bridge. and then up the harbour to the Parramatta River.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #25311730th Jan 2008 11:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You could also check out the Ibis hotel in Darling Harbour (think its cheaper than Novatel and right next door)
Pacific International and Quest have self contaned apartments which are good if you want a little more privacy. Check out site like www.lastminute.com.au and you could save up to 70% on accommodation.

You can get a ferry from Darling Harbour to the Rocks and also take a trip from Circular Quay to Manly via ferry. Circular Quay is right next to the rocks and the Opera House.

The trip to the Blue Mountains is a full day, especially if you want to try some of the walks or side trips into places like Leura.

The Great Ocean road needs a few days, but maybe some of our members fron Victoria can give you info on that part of your trip.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #25313131st Jan 2008 12:37 am
MJC73

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There are a couple of websites that’ll sort you out for a hotel at last minute rates – www.wotif.com is the best known in Oz, but www.quickbeds.com will do the trick too.
If you only want to explore around the Harbour Bridge and the Rocks you might want to consider getting a hotel over in North Sydney or Milsons Point (it should be cheaper than Darling Harbour and you can walk over the bridge to get to the Rocks and Darling Harbour).
Definitely get the ferry everywhere (the trip to Manly is great as well as the ones that make all the stops). If you go to Manly be sure to head around to Shelley Beach, it’s a great spot for lunch.
We’re off to Palm Cove at Easter (it’s a little village north of Cairns, it’s cheaper than Port Douglas but still a great spot) – personally I always use www.tripadvisor.com to check out places before I book them. We booked the Sanctuary based on the reviews from other travellers on the website.
Have a great trip.
M.

Post #25313931st Jan 2008 1:29 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Wonky
We could put you up for a couple of days.
We are about 300kms south of Sydney on the coast.
Just need to know the dates Thumbs Up
 Pete  
Post #25314031st Jan 2008 1:33 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Wonky,

I recently stayed in Sydney CBD with my family at "The Windsor" for AUD$212/day for a double room. Included full buffet breakfast, underground car parking, in house movie every day, back-pack full of kids stuff. Not bad value for a 4 star hotel right smack in the centre of town, 10min walk to the bridge and 5 mins to darling harbour.... Check out their specials on their website... Gladly stay there again...

cheers
Moby
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #25314231st Jan 2008 1:56 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Wonky,
try Harbourside Apartments at McManns point. They are right opposite Luna Park and have a direct view to Sydney harbour Bridge and to the city. Just get a water taxi into the city.
Thumbs Up

Peter H
 regards
Peter

Post #25314531st Jan 2008 3:57 am
Neil Pettersen

If you like resort style hotels,then Palm Cove Grand Mecure at GBP135 for two bedroom p.n.
is worth a look...or the flashy Peppers Beach Club...both have wonderful lagoon pool complexes
Good spot for Trophy Wives.......make sure Mrs.M.W. brings a diamond Rolex...everything else is passe.
If you want to sea swim, there is a netted enclosure...works well enough.....I'm still kickin'.
This is all 25 mins north of Cairns CBD...lots of speed cameras....you've been warned !
Port is too far north of Cairns attractions (42 miles and 2/3rd single lanes) to be
bothered staying there.....Ok for a day trip. We go some Sundays for the open-air markets..worth a visit.
Fitzroy Island is a building site at the moment,so Green is the place to see(45min cat.GBP28 each)
The reef is sadly not what it was ......very decayed in places...this is cyclic and not blo Censored y global
warming.Saw it happen in the mid '90's for a few years before recovery.....now it's happening again...but it's supposed to be my fault this time,somehow......Go Disco Go !
There are a plethora of boats and cats to reef locations......take your pick.
If you go to Kuranda, it must be up by train and down by skyrail.....not the other way around.

Cheers,Neil.

Last edited by Neil Pettersen on 12th Feb 2008 7:09 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #25314631st Jan 2008 4:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >