DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

smoke coming from under the bonnet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4
smoke coming from under the bonnet

hi all

on saturday morning i went out and drove about 1.5 miles, stopped for 1 hour then when i restarted the engine i noticed loads of smoke comming from under the bonnet so i turned the engine off. i lifted the bonnet to find this silver box on the n/s/f corner smoking i presume this is the wabasto heater everyone keeps talking about.

my question is what does it do, how does it work and why have i only just noticed it after 1600 miles. has it sudenly started working, should it be working as i have read that a lot don't work due to not having the right bits or something like that.

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #265357th Nov 2005 8:54 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

It was probably cold enough for it to run. If the ambient is too high, it remains an inanimate object, but once the temperature falls, the beast springs to life.

It, from Land Rover's perspective, has a single purpose: to assist heating the coolant temperature to provide faster cabin heating and quicker engine warm up. The exhaust discharges on the near front side.

Of course, whilst driving you'd be largely unaware of its operation; when it provides pre-heat for the cabin, before the engine is started, it is obvious from both the noise (pretty quiet) and exhaust smoke - along with a very noticeable smell of burnt gasoil.

All quite normal, then.

Post #265407th Nov 2005 9:30 am
BN

England 
Re: smoke comming from under the bonnet

shawn wrote:
hi all

on saturday morning i went out and drove about 1.5 miles, stopped for 1 hour then when i restarted the engine i noticed loads of smoke comming from under the bonnet so i turned the engine off. i lifted the bonnet to find this silver box on the n/s/f corner smoking i presume this is the wabasto heater everyone keeps talking about.

my question is what does it do, how does it work and why have i only just noticed it after 1600 miles. has it sudenly started working, should it be working as i have read that a lot don't work due to not having the right bits or something like that.

cheers shawn

Shawn, tons of stuff on this, yes it is the Webasto working when the temp gets to around the 6C or lower. It is the backup heater to assist the main unit. It will ease of the smoking as it gets used more, but it is the same as a house boiler using diesel, so a little smoke will always be there.

I am in the middle of converting the unit with Webasto to make it work on command which LR forgot for reasons best known to themselves.

Post #265417th Nov 2005 9:31 am
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

hi all

so when this heater cuts in how much quicker should this warm the cabin heater up will it get warm pretty much straight away on the cold mornings ahead of us

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #265627th Nov 2005 11:34 am
BN

England 

shawn wrote:
hi all

so when this heater cuts in how much quicker should this warm the cabin heater up will it get warm pretty much straight away on the cold mornings ahead of us

cheers shawn

Not necessarily quicker, but warmer. The heater takes about 30 seconds to start, then about another minute to start pushing out heat. Bearing in mind it heats the engine water as well to assist engine warm up faster.

If we can get it to start remotely, which is what we are trying to do after about 15 minutes the cabin should be quite warm and after 30 minutes it will be like toast as will the engine, so defrosted, with a warm engine in minus 5C, can't be bad.

Post #265647th Nov 2005 11:47 am
JAY

England 

At what temperature should the pre-heater kick in? Also is there any visual indication for when it is working i.e. I know there's a warning light in the console does this light up ?

Post #265997th Nov 2005 4:34 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

JAY wrote:
At what temperature should the pre-heater kick in? Also is there any visual indication for when it is working i.e. I know there's a warning light in the console does this light up ?

It will operate if the ambient temperature is less than 5°C and the engine coolant temperature is less than 75°C.

There is no warning signal/light for normal operation. The dash warning light relates to timed operation, that doesn't (work properly, that is).

Post #266037th Nov 2005 4:42 pm
JAY

England 

Thanks.. we had a 3degree Saturday morning and a cold engine but NO pre-heater... will keep an eye on this.

Post #266167th Nov 2005 6:00 pm
BN

England 

JAY wrote:
Thanks.. we had a 3degree Saturday morning and a cold engine but NO pre-heater... will keep an eye on this.

Was your journey a long one or just a few minutes?

Post #266187th Nov 2005 6:02 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Both Slimers & mine FBH's came on at 8 degrees t'other week

Post #266277th Nov 2005 6:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

With different operating methods too, TFCs on with the engine and mine using the 'radio trick'
 The End  
Post #266287th Nov 2005 6:57 pm
BN

England 

What we found was that the temp sensor was not too accurate, that is possibly why some of the guys car heaters controls are at different settings. My temp dial is at 20, but the car is about 26C according to a thermometer in the car. As a result it will effect the Webasto as it has a link to the external temp sensor and the cars internal temp sensors.

Post #266307th Nov 2005 7:02 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think the dials just dictate the temperature of air being blown into the cabin not the ambient temperature you want
 The End  
Post #266337th Nov 2005 7:05 pm
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
I think the dials just dictate the temperature of air being blown into the cabin not the ambient temperature you want

Apparently not, because that was another problem we have with the Webasto setup. It is far more complex than we thought. There is also a link, we think to the alarm system to close certain vents to stop air passing through when locked and activating the alarm. If only the heater was that simple, I would have been warm by now.

Post #266357th Nov 2005 7:08 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

the dials are for setting the interior temp, not the temp of the air leaving the heater, which is why on full auto, the fan speeds up when the temp is set high - to force hot air in quicker and boost the temp higher

Post #266367th Nov 2005 7:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >