Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Merits of Towbar Types
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
draughtsman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

A an aside to this thread. Does anyone know the merits/demerits to the two types of LR tow hitches available for the D3.

a) simple swanneck type.

b) multiheight adjustable.

sorry to interupt the manual/auto debate. Embarassed

Post #264646th Nov 2005 4:54 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

martin

maybe you could move draughtmans thread to a thread of its own so we dont get the too topics mixed up then we can discuss both threads without missing any comments

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #264656th Nov 2005 5:05 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thread split Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #264746th Nov 2005 6:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 

Q/R type:
Easily removed
Ball height 400mm above ground
Ability to attach other style of tow bars (e.g. US/Aus)
Need to store somewhere - vehicle storage block appears to be an extra cost if dealer-fit.

Multi-Height
Four towing heights possible (remember to stash torque wrench to adjust)
-from 350 to 500mm above ground.
Required for LR bike carrier (which allows carrier and use of tow ball)
Is more expensive (natch!)
Always protruding (unless use wrench as per above)

Leave you to determine whether points are pro or con.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #264776th Nov 2005 6:55 pm
Ecosse

Draughtsman - the swanneck is an excellent neat unit - very easy to fit & removes (although the plastic cover fro the electrics is flimsy & as well to keep a screwdriver for it) - HOWEVER, make sure that the height it is set at suits the trailer you will be towing, it is a FIXED height unit with no adjustment at all & I have found that it is set too low for large commercial trailers resulting in the rear of the car being lifted slightly by the trailer unless you deliberately make the trailer nose-heavy! Shocked

Post #264786th Nov 2005 6:56 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

hi draughtsman

i have the detatchable type and find it perfect, i do understand about the hight being fixed but i tow a 26.5 ft caravan and its fine the back end seems nice and level.

i purchased the storage compartment once i found i had no where to keep the towbar unit. it cost me £50 + vat and fits in the n/s/r boot compartment very neat and tidy. i would strongly recomend this because if you just kept it in the boot and god forbid had a bad accident if the towbar came into the car and hit you on the head it would cause serious damage as it is very heavy.

as for the plastic cover for the electrics i keep a 50 pence piece in the ash tray and find this works fine, but i thinkl land rover could of made a better job and fitted some sort of small lever/wing nut type thingy bob Embarassed

i personally don't like to see a fixed towbar on such a fine vehicle as i think it spoils all those perfectly designed clean lines.

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #264816th Nov 2005 7:28 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I find the ignition key is a perfect fit for undoing the cover clips
 The End  
Post #264826th Nov 2005 7:30 pm
MVS

Depends how much you tow.

I do a fair ammount with a twin axle trailer, & swan neck detachable was too low, as it would have been with my fathers caravan.

So my vote goes to the fixed adjustable one, its big & ugly but you can set the ball at the correct height & attach other bits & bobs easily (stabiliser / anti bump plate-although make sure sockets are clear/ bike racks, trial bike carriers etc,etc)

Mike

Post #264886th Nov 2005 8:41 pm
BN

England 

I have a fixed 'ugly' one and apart from its excellent qualities of keeping the rear safe when off roading and ploughing, it gives me the option of towing hitch height, from a tiny 6x4 trailer to a 3 tonne 3 axles unit.

In fact it can be removed very easily, but does need a couple of spanners to remove the brace bars. The rest is the same as the removeable, but no where near as heavy.

For general purpose and light industrial work, the fixed 'ugley' bar. For most caravans, nothing wrong with the removeable swan neck. Most caravans and trailers are 17.5 inches or 45 cms from the floor to the top of the ball hitch for your help. Don't forget the max tow ball weight is also important, so load is vital.

Finally, don't forget to hitch up a trailer and place 60kgs on the ball is about normal, but if you place a bike rack as well it could be illegal and dangerous.

Post #264926th Nov 2005 8:59 pm
draughtsman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for all the feed back.
We are considering the purchase of a caravan about middle of next year. I suppose the safest solution for me is to go for a dealer fit tow hitch once I know what caravan we are going for. I can then check the height requirement. My feeling is however that the detachable type would more than likely fit the bill.

Cheers

Post #264966th Nov 2005 9:13 pm
BN

England 

draughtsman wrote:
Thanks for all the feed back.
We are considering the purchase of a caravan about middle of next year. I suppose the safest solution for me is to go for a dealer fit tow hitch once I know what caravan we are going for. I can then check the height requirement. My feeling is however that the detachable type would more than likely fit the bill.

Cheers

The detachable is ideal for what you are planning. It does way a ton though and don't forget to make sure you have the stowage box fitted as it can be missed. I think Slimer can assist on this.

Post #265006th Nov 2005 9:33 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Can't assist but I do recommend you get it, easy to fit yourself if your dealer charges a fortune (as most of them do)
 The End  
Post #265036th Nov 2005 9:47 pm
DiscoMad

Ive just fitted the stowage unit to my rear aircon D3 and its a bit of a struggle but possible. Give me a ping if you would like some tips !

Post #265977th Nov 2005 3:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >