Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Light guard fitting and dealer prices (moved from For Sale)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

"I asked the 'light protector' seller a question yesterday , to which I haven't had a reply ....... ( what dealer un-fitted them, and how easy to re-fit .. etc etc )"

The front are easy but you have to drill the rear on the outside behind the light. There are brass threaded plugs which take the outside brackets. Slightly tricky.
I'd be surprised if they in the kit as they are a tight fit into the drilled hole. I would check if they are there!
 Discovery 3 'S' Bonatti Grey.  
Post #2548331st Oct 2005 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Roddy wrote:
"I asked the 'light protector' seller a question yesterday , to which I haven't had a reply ....... ( what dealer un-fitted them, and how easy to re-fit .. etc etc )"

The front are easy but you have to drill the rear on the outside behind the light. There are brass threaded plugs which take the outside brackets. Slightly tricky.
I'd be surprised if they in the kit as they are a tight fit into the drilled hole. I would check if they are there!

Thannks, but my point was to tease out an answe or not to see how geniune this kit was / is ..... Evil or Very Mad
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #2548931st Oct 2005 6:29 pm
kaney

you need a special spanner i've been told for the nuts and the dealer quoted £75 thats for an hours work Crying or Very sad

Post #2549931st Oct 2005 7:20 pm
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The only tool that is out of the ordinary is a Hex tool which is supplied with the kit.
Everything else is cross head screws.
 Discovery 3 'S' Bonatti Grey.  
Post #2550031st Oct 2005 7:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

kaney wrote:
you need a special spanner i've been told for the nuts and the dealer quoted £75 thats for an hours work Crying or Very sad

Hex spanners are ten a penny from any Motorist Centre.

Post #259072nd Nov 2005 8:58 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

[quote="BN"]
kaney wrote:

And most are made of monkey metal (as are the ones you get with flat pack furniture).

Worth spending a couple of quid on the standard size hex keys, or ideally hex sockets.

I know it's convenient, but being charged £75 to fit these seems like extortion! Even more extortion if you look at the 'official' dealer spreadsheet standard labour pricing. They quote 0.5hr to fit the front and 0.6hr to fit the rear, which at £85/hr labour rate comes out at £110 inc VAT. That's a lot of money.
Another example is the side body mouldings- £50 to fit them. They're only glorified stickers, for goodness sake!
£10 to fit the 'flexible loadspace protector'- it's a boot mat. How hard? Same for rubber mat set. £50 to fit! Seat covers too.

Sorry- got into a bit of a rant there.

It really staggers me that some people will pay good money for the most basic of work on their car. Most D3 accessories are meccano-like in that they simply bolt on to existing holes or connect to existing wiring connectors. Fitting instructions can be downloaded free from the LR Owners' site (not GTR). Help is freely available here too- witness the ongoing recent a-bar thread and tow ball storage posts.

I know that some have more money than sense, and others are worried that they are mechanically dyslexic. If I was so bad mechanically that I couldn't fit some of the basic accessories then I would really worry about taking the car off the drive!

[edit -oops! Mod has moved this thread and this post belongs to the 'ebay light guards. Sorry!]
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #259262nd Nov 2005 10:31 am
BN

England 

[quote="kevinlally"]
BN wrote:
kaney wrote:

And most are made of monkey metal (as are the ones you get with flat pack furniture).

Worth spending a couple of quid on the standard size hex keys, or ideally hex sockets.

I know it's convenient, but being charged £75 to fit these seems like extortion! Even more extortion if you look at the 'official' dealer spreadsheet standard labour pricing. They quote 0.5hr to fit the front and 0.6hr to fit the rear, which at £85/hr labour rate comes out at £110 inc VAT. That's a lot of money.
Another example is the side body mouldings- £50 to fit them. They're only glorified stickers, for goodness sake!
£10 to fit the 'flexible loadspace protector'- it's a boot mat. How hard? Same for rubber mat set. £50 to fit! Seat covers too.

Sorry- got into a bit of a rant there.

It really staggers me that some people will pay good money for the most basic of work on their car. Most D3 accessories are meccano-like in that they simply bolt on to existing holes or connect to existing wiring connectors. Fitting instructions can be downloaded free from the LR Owners' site (not GTR). Help is freely available here too- witness the ongoing recent a-bar thread and tow ball storage posts.

I know that some have more money than sense, and others are worried that they are mechanically dyslexic. If I was so bad mechanically that I couldn't fit some of the basic accessories then I would really worry about taking the car off the drive!

[edit -oops! Mod has moved this thread and this post belongs to the 'ebay light guards. Sorry!]

But for one job, you don't need over priced Snap On tools.

Post #261323rd Nov 2005 2:40 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:

No you don't. I've only got Snap On for 4,5,6mm hex - used to be a bike mechanic and they were heavily used.

Other sizes can be the 'cheaper' brands if necessary. Having looked at a D3 with light guards fitted, the fixings look to be something like a 3mm hex perhaps.
Disclaimer- check before you buy! I've not got the guards so can't check myself. The LR owners' site installation instructions should show it.

PS anyone want to sell me some light guards?
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #261483rd Nov 2005 4:56 pm
BN

England 

kevinlally wrote:
BN wrote:

No you don't. I've only got Snap On for 4,5,6mm hex - used to be a bike mechanic and they were heavily used.

Other sizes can be the 'cheaper' brands if necessary. Having looked at a D3 with light guards fitted, the fixings look to be something like a 3mm hex perhaps.
Disclaimer- check before you buy! I've not got the guards so can't check myself. The LR owners' site installation instructions should show it.

PS anyone want to sell me some light guards?

Have you asked Dom or Slimer, they appear to be the D3 spare parts department ?

Post #261513rd Nov 2005 5:16 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Are they hex or Torx? not looked too closely

Post #261563rd Nov 2005 5:31 pm
MVS

Snap on tools over priced and not much better that a lot around these days, apart from the likes of Draper stuff, which is good for about 3 jobs then chuck out.

I would suggest people look no further than Halfords Professional range I got some ratchet ring spanners a couple of years ago, thought they'd do an awkward job and maybe not last, but I use them regularly and hardly touch the Snap on spanners /sockets I have.

Post #261593rd Nov 2005 5:47 pm
BN

England 

MVS wrote:
Snap on tools over priced and not much better that a lot around these days, apart from the likes of Draper stuff, which is good for about 3 jobs then chuck out.

I would suggest people look no further than Halfords Professional range I got some ratchet ring spanners a couple of years ago, thought they'd do an awkward job and maybe not last, but I use them regularly and hardly touch the Snap on spanners /sockets I have.

Actually Halfords range is proving to be quite good now. The price for Snap On is for the lifetime guarantee I suppose.

Post #261613rd Nov 2005 5:50 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'll also back up the Halfords Professional stuff - we've got a full set at home and they are very very nice quality. The rachet spanners are particularly handy and well designed, especially useful on my 90 for every fiddly job Rolling Eyes

We did snap a Halfords Pro Allen key (the number stamped in it caused a stress raiser) but to be fair to Halfords they did replace it FOC from another set in the shop 8)
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #261623rd Nov 2005 5:51 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
The price for Snap On is for the lifetime guarantee I suppose.

Halfords Pro range is also covered by a lifetime guarantee Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #261633rd Nov 2005 5:52 pm
BN

England 

Martin wrote:
BN wrote:
The price for Snap On is for the lifetime guarantee I suppose.

Halfords Pro range is also covered by a lifetime guarantee Smile

Now that is good, didn't know that. Thanks need a few new tools so Pro Range here I come.

Post #261663rd Nov 2005 5:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >