Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Does Expedition Rack need roof rails to be installed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

eran48 wrote:
Thanks Piere for pointing me to the GTR website.Cheers

No Worries!

8)

The Large One - Nick are you from Yeoville?
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #24344311th Jan 2008 4:09 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello Wayne,

You can tell the brand of roof rails on a Disco3 just from driving past it? Shocked Shocked

Wow! Eagle-eyes Wayne 8)

I rang up Rhino Rack today and the lady I spoke to was very insistent that the roof rails be called roof TRACKS.

She promised to e-mail the dimensions sometime today but I haven't received anything. Rolling Eyes

I'll drop in to their office tomorrow morning and measure the darn things myself.

Cheers.

Post #24346211th Jan 2008 8:42 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

eran48
I have the Rhino Rack rails (ok tracks) What dimensions do you need.
If you are near the Nothern beaches you are welcome to look. Very Happy just PM
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #24346511th Jan 2008 9:09 am
PierreJ

eran48 wrote:
You can tell the brand of roof rails on a Disco3 just from driving past it? Shocked Shocked

Wow! Eagle-eyes Wayne 8)

Yip. LR Rails, oops.... tracks Laughing , sticks out about 2 cm from the rood, whereas the Rhino rails, oops... tracks Laughing Laughing , are more flush with the roof.

This can be easily spotted.

Cheers,
Pierre
Post #24389712th Jan 2008 12:06 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

BarryG wrote:
DG wrote:
You can cure the noise issue chaps Wink

How DG...? Dont have a rack.... but some day soon Whistle

Get hold of an electrical protection mat, cut a strip to fit between the roof and rack and self tap it in to the rack frame with the lower edge just touching the roof .....hey presto.. silence Mr. Green

21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #24389912th Jan 2008 12:18 am
eran48

Okay, I visited Rhino's showroom yesterday morning and had a good look at Rhino's rails, erm TRACKS Wink Maybe we should combine the two and call them TRAILS or enTRAILS Laughing

Even though the the open channel at the top of the rail is the same at 1.8 cm, the rest of the rail profiles are quite different ie height, internal channel width and external total width. I guess it IS still possible to force the Expo rack on but parts will have to be modified - and I'm sure both LR and Rhino will start screaming warrrantly, safety and liability issues.

While I was there, I had my first look at the platform rack - this is a completely flat rack that is about 3 cm thick which just bolts directly to the cross bars. Rhino also has a set of legs that are quite low profile - about 5 or 6 cm high.

This platform is slightly larger than the internal space with all the seats folded down. I remembered a thread on how some people had turned the interior of the D3 into a beautifully made double bed. I had a picture of TWO beautifully made up double beds - one in the the car and one on the rack. How's that for double decker luxury Very Happy Very Happy

Remember RTA's advice - stop and revive every two hours? Well, just pull up the side of the road, the D3 will self level, climb up on to your beautiful double bed on the rack and enjoy a nice snooze. No need to unpack the car at all. Thumbs Up

Come to think of it, this opens up all sorts of possibilities - how about a mobile motel? A playboy's ideal vehicle? Or a tour vehicle with a twist - imagine seeing the sights in the luxury of a double bed. If you do strap your mother-in-law to the roof, you can't be accused of cruelty anymore. Whistle

This rack also looks to be the same or lower in height than the Expo rack.

Total RRP of a three cross bar system and a 2100mm x 1240mm platform is just over a thousand bucks - less than half the price of the Expo rack.

The wallet is saying that I should take utility over form. Ditch the sexy Expo rack and go for the more utilitarian but stronger and more practical Rhino rack. Question Question

On Evil-bay, some local company is selling a steel rack that bolts directly to the D3 roof for $699. The rack has mounting spots for antenna and spotlights in front And has brackets for a spare tyre. Do a search for 'Discovery 3' and this item will pop up. They also have a smaller aluminium rack for the same price. Has anybody actually seen or owned these racks?

Cheers.

Post #24426713th Jan 2008 7:43 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Rhino also has a short track for the front of the D3 allowing you to put the full length Rack over three cross bars.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #24426813th Jan 2008 8:07 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

eran48 wrote:
On Evil-bay, some local company is selling a steel rack that bolts directly to the D3 roof for $699. The rack has mounting spots for antenna and spotlights in front And has brackets for a spare tyre. Do a search for 'Discovery 3' and this item will pop up. They also have a smaller aluminium rack for the same price. Has anybody actually seen or owned these racks?Cheers.

Aluminium http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Landrover-Disco...dZViewItem

Steel http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Landrover-Disco...dZViewItem

Wonder what the steel/aluminium pros/cons are? For one thing, aluminium is 15kg lighter, and looks a whole lot nicer IMO...

Anyon seen this brand in "real life"
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #24427013th Jan 2008 9:25 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sonny,
Managed to get a photo of the rack and rails on my phone, unfortunately cant download. But same rails as mine, original LR. Dont know if the Rhino rack was altered to fit.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #24428013th Jan 2008 10:27 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That steel rack seems very heavy for a "short rack" Exclamation

My short Tradesman steel rack weighs 25kg

Also, I wonder if the Alloy rack includes the cross bars Question

eran48, I put a couple of sheets of light ply over 10 x 50 L plastic boxes in the rear of my D3, double bed, with 360 picture windows Laughing

SKP

Post #24449313th Jan 2008 8:22 pm
PierreJ

Me thinks the fleabay ones are from this company:

http://www.powerful4x4.com.au
Post #24465814th Jan 2008 2:24 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

so much for
Quote:
RRP $1,299
when the importer is selling them for $799 via its website Evil or Very Mad Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #24466414th Jan 2008 3:00 am
eran48

Hello SKP,

I contacted the e-Bay seller of the racks and he said that both racks bolt directly to the roof and no cross bars or rails, oops TRACKS, are required.

I did wonder about the 45kg weight for the steel bar. It seems too heavy. I had a Rhino Steel mesh basket and it was only 14kg. Given that the D3 has a max cargo weight of 75kg, that steel rack does not leave a lot of leeway for storage up top.

Cheers

Post #24466814th Jan 2008 4:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >