Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Software update ? Any news?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Pelyma

England 

I'm up for writing a letter or two, let me know when and where!

Post #154517th Mar 2005 6:39 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I've just checked the build your own website, and never noticed before that the fuel burning heater is there.

If someone is willing to petition for the timer to be made to work I'll quite happily sign my name to the list. As if LR didn't want us to have these extras, which are not masked in any way, then these quite rightly should work on the grounds that the functionality or intended functionality came as part of the vehicle. Since this functionality is at fault and LR seem to now be stating that it was intended for a future revision then tough, they've already let the cat out of the bag.

Mine goes into the dealers tomorrow to have the climate control map updated so that the heating works wehn not set lower then 24C. I will remind them that when I went in it had FBH and Pre-Cool on the settings menu and expect them to still be there when I pick it up again, else I will consider withdrawl of functionality as theft.

Smile

Post #154917th Mar 2005 8:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

Gareth wrote:

It does not however mention the timer at all, and does not refer to it as a "Pre-Heater"

Unless anyone has it in writing, or can otherwise prove that it was sold as a timed pre-heater, then I think we are on dodgy ground if it came to legal action that could cost LR a lot of money. They will try to defend it on the grounds that it was never their intention to have the feature, and never advertised it as such.

That is precisely their argument - that it is not mentioned in the manual - however when buying the car there is no detailed spec. provided & they agreed that their sales literature is very generic - therefore after they have transferred title to the vehicle to us as purchasers upon us paying & taking delivery, we have bought & acquired the vehicle with the functions installed - & in this case it includes a cabin pre-heat & pre-cool facility. There are defects in the timer which are manufacturing defects & covered by the warranty. That's my view of it. Anyone got some names and addresses to send info of this problem to? + any contact names from other dealings with LR, the more the better & they might get the message - a new thread on the forum with these might be useful. I'd repeat my comment to watch out though on attempts to delete the function - best to get confirmation from the dealer that they know you have specifically not given authority for any work that involves deletion of existing functions.

Post #155017th Mar 2005 8:55 pm
BN

England 
Webasto Pre Heater

Hi, having just taken delivery of my new Disco 3, which I will be using for work (sorry people), I was very disapointed to find that the Webasto Pre Heater is fitted, very useful where I go, but not connected. I have a brilliant LR dealer and he put the computer on to the car and we went through the formats. No new software is predicted yet. Also it looks as if two vital wires are missing from the installation, this is odd to me. Why fit something that expensive but not allow it to be used? I spoke to a friend of mine who is a senior LR Experience team instructor and he is going to find out more, if he can. Does anyone else have any ideas on this silly situation. Finally, can anyone tell me at what setting they set the heater controls at, because mine has to be set at about 28 to get any warmth? Embarassed

Post #155518th Mar 2005 9:46 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The pre-heater issue is strange.

If there are two vital wires missing, how come it works as it should if you leave the radio on? Did you tell this to the dealer? Problem now is, its too warm to demonstrate to interested parties, as the weather is getting warmer, and the system only works if air temp is below 6 (or 8 - can't quite remember) degrees.

Post #155618th Mar 2005 9:52 am
Ecosse

BN - very interesting about the "2 wires" - can you confirm, have you tried to get it to function using the "radio on" trick ie program it on the settings screen, switch off & take key out BUT then switch radio back on (start time needs to be within an hour or two) - it may also be temperature related (although the 7c limit is certainly for the engine supplementary heating) so you may have to try this in the middle of the night!! Wink - ie what I'd like to know is, does the cabin pre-heater work on yours at all without these 2 wires & therefore what does the dealer think the extra 2 wires will do? - & quite frankly if there are 2 wires missing, can the dealer not try to fit them (if you can identify which 2 wires I'm sure I can get someone to try it!!) You could also try the cabin pre-cooler function & see if it brings on the fans?
Keep us all posted!

Post #155718th Mar 2005 10:07 am
DiscoMad

BN,
The fuel burning heater does work !

It has two uses; the first is to provide rapid heating of coolant to the engine when it is less than 5degC outside and the coolant temp is less than 75degC (well it says that in the service manual Smile)

and

as we all know, can preheat the cabin when the radio is on, or as a friend says, LR now provide hot music.......

What did your dealer mean I wonder and can I add the two wires ?

With regard to the heater, although not often discussed here, there is a problem with the climate control air blend system that misuses the information from the internal and external air temp sensors.

Version 7 LR software update was supposed to fix this but on my vehicle I still get cold drafts unless the temp is set to 24degC or above. Daft. It worked fine in my old DII TD5 XS7 !

BIG AL, What is bing done to your vehicle to fix this ?? v7 upgrade ?? if so , dont hold your breath..

Post #155918th Mar 2005 12:10 pm
pers1

LR should learn from the computer industry, in the computer they have as small battery that keeps the machine form loosing everything incase of a power failur!

The MOST BUS should have had something like that, shulden`t be to
hard to design.

I`m going to aske my dealer if they can deactivate auto off on the tuner!
Just untill the fix is her!
PerS
8)

Post #156018th Mar 2005 12:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoMad

I do fear that even if you can make them aware of the potential removal, we will be faced with 'hobsons chocie' - either have a fault fixed through the upgrade or keep the fault...I am sure LR wont be keen on making two versions of an upgrade. Need some hard facts and some coordinated action.

Post #160621st Mar 2005 9:09 pm
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The FBH/Software issue is getting a bit disjointed or two threads are convirging! - Merge threads?

http://disco3.web-rover.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224
This one^
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #160921st Mar 2005 9:30 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Can merge the threads if people think it's helpful - bit similarly don't want to (it's irreversible) if you don't?

Thoughts please Smile

Martin

Post #161921st Mar 2005 11:24 pm
BN

England 

Reply to Ecosse, my pre-heater does not work even with the radio on. If I set the heater, remove the key the radio goes off and cancels the timer. It is the same with the pre-cooler. The 2 wires that need a connection I think are on the top of the pre-heater and end in a sort of small rubber socket with no where to go. On mine they cannot be missed and are red and black. To me the pre-heater was quite an important feature as I work in very cold climates and cover about 100,000 miles a year so I intend to get it working somehow.

Post #169624th Mar 2005 9:42 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you will find that nobodys pre-heater will work at the moment, as the temperature in the UK is too high. Pre-cool should test the timer though.

Post #169824th Mar 2005 9:47 am
Ecosse

BN wrote:
If I set the heater, remove the key the radio goes off and cancels the timer. .

Hi BN - have you tried switching the radio back on AFTER you have removed the key? That is the workaround at present - once you hav etaken the key out just push the main radio button & reduce the volume (!) - it should stay on for about 2 hours (LR say 1 hr, I've had over 1.5hrs) - the "flaw" is that you can only pre-set it up to that 1/1.5/2 hrs limit. Let us all know how you get on - suggest try setting it for just 15/30 mins ahead & wait to watch it! - when it activates the pre-heater light comes on & stays on.

Post #169924th Mar 2005 9:49 am
BN

England 

Ecosse wrote:
BN wrote:
If I set the heater, remove the key the radio goes off and cancels the timer. .

Hi BN - have you tried switching the radio back on AFTER you have removed the key? That is the workaround at present - once you hav etaken the key out just push the main radio button & reduce the volume (!) - it should stay on for about 2 hours (LR say 1 hr, I've had over 1.5hrs) - the "flaw" is that you can only pre-set it up to that 1/1.5/2 hrs limit. Let us all know how you get on - suggest try setting it for just 15/30 mins ahead & wait to watch it! - when it activates the pre-heater light comes on & stays on.

Hello Ecosse, yes have tried that, with no success. I was going to call the car Microsoft, due to the stop, switch off and reboot that appears to be the format for all. I have now decided to call it IBM Indefinatley Broken Motor Evil or Very Mad .

I have thought of a way to get LR to notice, call out Land Rover Assist everytime I want the car pre-warmed, pre-cooled or re-set Very Happy

Post #170224th Mar 2005 5:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >