Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front Runner spare wheel carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
clarkritchie

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Front Runner spare wheel carrier

I had a Front Runner spare wheel carrier fitted to my LR3 last week. I didn't do the install myself, I hired it out... my mechanic said it took about 6 hours.

Build quality seems quite good. The lift support makes it easy to open, even when the angle of the swing is upward. And I am very happy that it can open (video example) when my camper is hitched up, allowing full access to the back of the truck. However, I do have to use an extension to fit my bike rack, which interferes with the tire.

My only nits are probably that:
* the lever to release the wheel is tucked pretty far underneath, making it hard to do single handed or with stuff in your hands
*while there is some adjustment on the distance from the wheel to the rack, its maxed out to fit my 275/65-18 spare -- the tire touches the rack in spots
* rear sensors go off Twisted Evil

Took it out to Skylight cave today, that's Oregon's Mt Washington in the background.

Last edited by clarkritchie on 30th Mar 2017 5:51 am. Edited 11 times in total 
Post #166661613th Jun 2016 5:12 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Looks good, nice scenery too. Fitted one to my a month or so ago, I agree the release is a pain to reach particularly if you are carrying anything, I am working on a mod for mine.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #166662913th Jun 2016 6:50 am
DNB

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Front Runner spare wheel carrier

clarkritchie wrote:
I had a Front Runner spare wheel carrier fitted to my LR3 last week. I didn't do the install myself, I hired it out... my mechanic said it took about 6 hours.

Build quality seems quite good. The lift support makes it easy to open, even when the angle of the swing is upward. And I am very happy that it can open (video example) when my camper is hitched up, allowing full access to the back of the truck. However, I do have to use an extension to fit my bike rack, which interferes with the tire.

My only nits are probably that:
* the lever to release the wheel is tucked pretty far underneath, making it hard to do single handed or with stuff in your hands
*while there is some adjustment on the distance from the wheel to the rack, its maxed out to fit my 275/65-18 spare -- the tire touches the rack in spots
* rear sensors go off Twisted Evil

Took it out to Skylight cave today, that's Oregon's Mt Washington in the background.

G'day Smile

Can you please measure the distance from the Rear Door to the Spare Wheel and let me know. As I would like to get this Rear Wheel Carrier, but I'm not sure if it will also fit with the ProSpeed Ladder (with Stirrup).

Thanks in advance Smile
Don

p.s. the links to the pictures in the opening post are broken
 Don, Perth WA
2015 LR Discovery 4 SE SDV6.... ARB Summit Bullbar, 12k Carbon Winch, Kings Driving Lights, ARB 2mtr Awning with ARB Awning Room, Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform, Rhino-Rack MaxTrax Holders with MaxTrax, Rhino-Rack Shovel Holders with Trojan Shovel, GOE Rocksliders, GOE Compressor Guard, GOE Height Adjustment Rods, Bushranger Sand Flag, Uniden 5w Handheld UHF 

Post #179757530th Mar 2017 4:44 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Its 5.5 inches from wheel to tailgate. And if it helps is 22 inches from the edge of a 19 inch wheel to the edge of the tailgate.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #179762330th Mar 2017 8:43 am
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The rear sensor going off is pretty easily fixed - I have a Rasta carrier (and had Big Country before thst).

It's most likely the sensor under the wheel - second in from the right (or third from left..). You can either modify the sensor loom to bypass that one sensor or simply stick a rubber patch (from a bicycle repair kit) over it.

I'd go for the patch and see if that does the trick - mines been done for years and the others work fine.
 I see no ships........  
Post #179763930th Mar 2017 9:23 am
DNB

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mogwyth wrote:
Its 5.5 inches from wheel to tailgate. And if it helps is 22 inches from the edge of a 19 inch wheel to the edge of the tailgate.

Thanks very much guys Smile

looks like it's too close a fit (0.5 inch) between the ProSpeed Ladder and the Wheel on the Front Runner Spare Wheel Carrier then.

I was already iffy on getting the Ladder and just now I got a reply from ProSpeed saying that just the Postage cost of the Ladder is 235pounds!!!!, so it would cost me over $700AUD just for the ladder alone!!!

Looks like it's a Front Runner Ladder and Wheel Carrier for me then.

cheers Smile
 Don, Perth WA
2015 LR Discovery 4 SE SDV6.... ARB Summit Bullbar, 12k Carbon Winch, Kings Driving Lights, ARB 2mtr Awning with ARB Awning Room, Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform, Rhino-Rack MaxTrax Holders with MaxTrax, Rhino-Rack Shovel Holders with Trojan Shovel, GOE Rocksliders, GOE Compressor Guard, GOE Height Adjustment Rods, Bushranger Sand Flag, Uniden 5w Handheld UHF 

Post #179764730th Mar 2017 9:38 am
clarkritchie

Wait, covering the sensor completely does the trick? I thought that was the problem, i.e. since the sensor does not have a clear line of sight anymore, which is why the backup alarm goes off.

Post #179777830th Mar 2017 2:51 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

If you use a material such as rubber (like in a bicycle inner tube patch) it 'absorbs' the sound wave and stops it 'finding' your spare wheel.

Like I say, I'd had two types of carrier over the last few years and used this trick on both.

Give it a test by putting a piece of rubber over the sensor - held in place with Gaffa tape - once you're happy replace it with a stuck on patch.

I've got the wiring diagram somewhere if you'd prefer to bypass that sensor completely but you'll have to take the bumper etc off and do some cutting of wires. Thumbs Up
 I see no ships........  
Post #179778830th Mar 2017 3:05 pm
clarkritchie

I am off to the garage to do this right now, thank you for the tip!

Post #179779330th Mar 2017 3:25 pm
clarkritchie

Thanks again for the tip. I can confirm the beep, when in reverse, is gone. Though I think it's odd that the light on the button is still on as-if the backup alarm were going off. The patch is a little unsightly but this is a good interim fix until I pony up for the IID tool, which can do this in software. Appreciate it!

Post #179780730th Mar 2017 4:34 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

You're more than welcome Thumbs Up

The light on the button should be on when you're in reverse irrespective.

The other three sensors should still function as normal - so will sound when you approach an obstacle.

With regards it being unsightly, I have a standard black (not colour coded) bumper and used a black rubber patch of the same size as the sensor centre (probably a cent in US currency?) - which is all you need to cover - and used Super Glue to mount it. It really can't be seen.
 I see no ships........  
Post #179781430th Mar 2017 5:14 pm
clarkritchie

This is great. I will get some material and make a proper looking patch and cover all four, because it also goes off when I have my hitch mount bike rack on.

Post #179793930th Mar 2017 9:12 pm
clarkritchie

A US quarter is nearly perfect. However, after meticulously cutting and affixing 4 made from of an old bicycle tube, the alarm still goes off -- so clearly that compound is a bit too thick. The search continues!

Post #179837231st Mar 2017 8:20 pm
WaterD

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Yulong WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks for that tip. Excellent and easy to sort.
Thumbs Up

Post #197776026th Aug 2018 10:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >