Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: The Royal Wedding

DG wrote:
Good luck to the bride and groom today Thumbs Up

...a shame though that neither of their fathers could be there Whistle

Some have been making capital out of it Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Clever positioning of Harry’s beard and chin there.....
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #194648419th May 2018 12:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Brookey0123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It reminds me of the wedding in Coming To America I keep waiting for Randy Watson to come out and sing Laughing

Post #194649919th May 2018 1:04 pm
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The shops I was dragged round this morning were strangely empty. Confused
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #194651919th May 2018 3:47 pm
ammac

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I see at lot of you are is Mrs Beckham camp and don't like seeing people have a good time.

Personally, I enjoyed seeing the Household Calvary in all their glory with a couple of nice vintage motors rolled in. I even commented on some of the ladies outfits!!!

Who cares how much it costs. If we can't spend a few bucks on something that makes a lot of people happy, why bid for the world cup, the Olympics, etc.

Post #194652619th May 2018 4:23 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Oh, I don’t mind peps having a good time, weddings, procreating, whatever they wish - but at their expense, not ours, that’s the subtle difference.

It’s very hard to balance some poor old person getting told they have to pay hundreds of pounds a week for a care home if their assets are more than £16k when some minor Royal is whooping it up to the tune of £38m, entertaining and feeding the rich and famous from around the world and if that classed as miserable, so be it.

Last edited by Someone-Gone on 19th May 2018 5:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #194652819th May 2018 4:39 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Or, spending that amount of money on a wedding, in a time of "austerity" while sweeping homeless people out the way...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #194653819th May 2018 5:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

The Dundonian wrote:
Oh, I don’t mind peps having a good time, weddings, procreating, whatever they wish - but at their expense, not ours, that’s the subtle difference.

It’s very hard to balance some poor old person getting told they have to pay hundreds of pounds a week for a care home if their assets are more than £16k when some minor Royal is whooping it up to the tune of £38m, entertaining and feeding the rich and famous from around the world and if that classed as miserable, so be it.

As someone who works in government I know a fair bit about how we cost things. Don't believe what you read in the press about costs. It's UTTER nonsense. What's important are the net additional costs. It's also important to understand the way in which government departments charge each other for services provided. All this nonsense about giving the money to the poor or homeless simply reflects the fact that the press and most of the public have no clue (and less interest in trying to understand) how costs are reached.

One example: when there's an information commissioner (FOI) request to MOD to disclose the cost of providing troops, say to support flood response, the costs are (often) based on what's called 'full cost'. So, a private soldier earning say £25k a year could (but isn't really any more) be billed to another department at a full cost basis of £55k, because that figure includes things like housing, pension, X-factor costs, costs of training, equipment, clothing, etc. The fact that the taxpayer is paying for that soldier regardless of whether he/she is filling sandbags in Wales, on patrol in Afghanistan or sitting on his Censored in barracks with a hangover is always missed. The fact that he may be street-lining for a royal wedding is also ignored. The MOD will tell you the cost for providing the military for the wedding. But the net additional cost of providing them is actually a fraction, and might comprise transport costs for moving more soldiers to the venue, feeding, etc. Same for the police, with the exception of some overtime. The Home Office will provide the cost of providing the policing operation noting that the coppers would be paid whether they're lining the streets in Windsor or patrolling elsewhere in the SE.

There is no '£32M to give to the homeless' or spend on the NHS. It's government departments playing shops for the most part. It's not real money.

Now, cakes, flowers, food, booze etc is a different matter and as I understand the Family picks that up.

Plus no-one has mentioned the huge net benefits to the UK economy of the wedding itself. The UK exchequer will end up better off as a result of the wedding (through taxes), and that means more actual real money to spend on things, be it the NHS, homeless or whatever.
 PAGODA  
Post #194655019th May 2018 5:49 pm
sycove

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I thought it was a fantastic occasion, I watched it down in Nigeria and the locals were amazed with Windsor castle and the whole tradition and ceremony that was on show. Certainly made me proud to be British.

Expect to see a massive boost to tourism over the next year or so, thanks to the showcase that was beamed to 2 billion people today.

Post #194656419th May 2018 6:26 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Here's some footage of the Preacher Rolling with laughter

Post #194658219th May 2018 7:18 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Today is the oldest you've been and the youngest you'll ever be again.  
Post #194658919th May 2018 7:38 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Say what you like, excuse costs, justify the spend in any way, but these are inequalities that can’t be reconciled and are privileges of birth.

You either believe that what can only be called discrimination in that way is right or wrong and if you think it’s right, then you put one persons life above that of others.

We know it’s so wrong to do it on the basis of gender, sexuality, colour, race and religion, but if it’s the Royal Family, it’s obviously fine. No, it isn’t and it’s about time we got up to speed and the practice was stopped.

Post #194659019th May 2018 7:40 pm
Pelyma

England 

Well said Pagoda. I thought it was a tremendous occasion, I didn’t see much as I was at the unaffiliated Dressage finals at Hickstead, but I did catch most of the ceremony and thought it was tremendous to see a young couple that clearly adore each other get married. The only sad thing to me was the mother of the bride, imagine having a daughter get married and watched by over a billion people on TV and you only have one family member there, very sad. Some beautiful hymns and a very different sermon Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #194659419th May 2018 7:45 pm
Pelyma

England 

The Dundonian wrote:
Say what you like, excuse costs, justify the spend in any way, but these are inequalities that can’t be reconciled and are privileges of birth.

You either believe that what can only be called discrimination in that way is right or wrong and if you think it’s right, then you put one persons life above that of others.

We know it’s so wrong to do it on the basis of gender, sexuality, colour, race and religion, but if it’s the Royal Family, it’s obviously fine. No, it isn’t and it’s about time we got up to speed and the practice was stopped.

So your kids don’t benefit from your wealth? That’s an accident of birth to. Vote for independence and you won’t have to.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #194659619th May 2018 7:47 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'm sure that he didn't acquire his wealth just by stating something was his though ...who did they buy their estates off ?

Post #194659919th May 2018 7:52 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

not even going to read this thread … I managed to stay away from the TV and tidied the garage for the whole morning and early afternoon. now wishing I'd done the same for the FA Cup. Big Cry

Post #194660519th May 2018 8:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >