Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Off-road in NE Tassie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We paid about 600 return - for our trailer! on the ferry... Cars are subsidised by the fed Govt due to their being no hwy down there... but it's only the prime mover that is subsidised... We wanted to take our 6m boat down with us, but it would have been over a $1000... For us though, no choice re. the trailer - the car was already full of 5 kids, so no other way of doing it.

The Mickey T ATZ's are doing well - still happy with them. Aired down to about 18 to get off the beach at St Helens' Perron Dunes...

cheers - a wonderful place to tour - I've done the NW, W, SE and now NE - and still haven't seen it all, and it's not very big - but a great place!

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #24342611th Jan 2008 1:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I know a secret spot in Tassie for a great 4wd and camping trip.
Really should have a second vehicle though AND I haven't been there since 1999 so will only have got more ruggered.
see:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8475.html?highlight=key
 regards
Peter

Post #24342811th Jan 2008 1:44 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

pbhawkin wrote:

Hmm - im feeling a group "long weekend" coming up... Whistle

anyone interested - say Melbourne Cup long weekend (Nov), leave Thursday night, home sunday night (mon morning) - just the boys, some extreme 4wding and the local pubs??

Idea
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #24343111th Jan 2008 1:57 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Unfortunately the van has had an extended drawbar fitted (making the overall length longer than it should be).

The van isn't big enough to swing a cat (even a small cat).

SKP, I was thinking about fitting the spa but that might need me to become a "B- double" Laughing and get an articulated truck license.

Finally I bought the van to get away from motels Thumbs Up and be at peace with nature 8) . Maybe I should have bought a motor boat and motored across the Strait. Laughing

Sorry Simon_arch1 for hijacking your thread.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #24343511th Jan 2008 2:58 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As we say in this part of the world if you don’t like the weather just wait 15 minutes. Laughing Laughing Laughing

When SPOT 1+2 (Spirit of Tasmania) came on line they had an upper vehicle deck which was open to the elements, they were originally from the Northern Hemisphere, used on a run to/from the Greek islands, on these runs the open space was used to park campervans/caravans and you could sleep in them during the passage as opposed to paying for a cabin. There was also open windows along the side on this deck plus a nice swimming pool on a upper level. On delivery I am glad to say that the pool was converted to more bar space

In the early stage on the tassie run, cars were parked in the open deck area if the boat was full, I pretty sure that about 1-2 years ago all this area has was fully enclosed and made water tight when they put in the second loading ramp in. I haven’t been on it for a year or so, I will go and have a look and confirm this.

As for using the boats I normal catch a plane north for any breaks under 2 weeks. It is really quite expensive for me with a family of five

Simon Arch: Photo’s of Peron dunes look great I am heading down St Helens way next week and will check these out. What pressure did you run in your tyres on the sand.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #24344211th Jan 2008 3:55 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

TDMP wrote:
pbhawkin wrote:

Hmm - im feeling a group "long weekend" coming up... Whistle

anyone interested - say Melbourne Cup long weekend (Nov), leave Thursday night, home sunday night (mon morning) - just the boys, some extreme 4wding and the local pubs??

Idea

Sorry to be slow of the mark, but have just read the latest post’s

Definitely keen on extended weekend putting the Disco’s to work, Happy to chase up some idea’s for destinations, with everything relatively close together we could incorporate some beach, hills and mountains.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #24424313th Jan 2008 1:17 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

sounds perferct - I guess we should start a new thread and see what the interest is?
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #24426513th Jan 2008 6:08 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Razzle,
You're right - all the decks are now completely enclosed. Weird thing is a couple fot he decks are suspended - they have a ramp that lowers - only used for sedans etc. but parking under or next to these is kinda weird and disconcerting...

IN the dunes, I ran 25psi to start with, and that was fine, but for the run off the beach, I had to drop them lower - to around 17-18 psi, and away we went.

Wish we could go back sooner - but it is expensive with 5 kids and a trailer....

cheers

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #24466114th Jan 2008 2:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >