Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

sticking clutch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Russell,

Although I didn't buy the car from them, I have used Barretts in Ashford for servicing and warranty work as they are convenient.
My experience with them has been relatively hassle free!

Andy.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #2396413rd Jan 2008 1:19 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Dealer

Thanks for the info Andy.

That is my supplying dealer and the one I shall go to as I am having issues with 1st and reverse.

Russell. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #2396633rd Jan 2008 2:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fatboy Slim

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Bit of an update: the beast went in yesterday, rang up today to find out how they're getting on. The gearbox is being removed to investigate further Thumbs Up Will let you all know the outcome as soon as I find out!

Post #24569015th Jan 2008 9:24 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

not booked mine in yet, it is not a bad as the moment, I am building my list up for them.

Interested to find out what they say about yours though.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #24578815th Jan 2008 11:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fatboy Slim

Good news everybody!!!! The beast is back. New clutch- old one was totally f Censored d Shocked obviously a manufacturing fault or the like (1st time ive heard of a clutch only lasting 10k!!)

Permagrin restored........................ Very Happy

Post #24776819th Jan 2008 4:52 pm
smiffyman

United Kingdom 2006 LR3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyLR3
LR£ CLUTCH & COMPUTER FAILURES

Quote:

LR3 13 months old and 7500 miles on the clock.

Clutch burnt out and computer crashed on delivery drive home 13 months ago.

Now same happened this week and LR not at this moment in time prepared to accept all costs under the warranty.

So has anyone else had this problem and what should i do in my approach to Land Rover over the liabilities.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Alan Smith

Previosly posted as a new topic so reposted here for those with similar problems to view.

Will have to wait till next week to get some response from Land Rover. Having owned 12 new LR's over the last 20 years i am confident it is not me or the way i drive which has caused the problem. Current liability 3 vehicles and normally enjoy them. Was not a good week, in a senior moment i put petrol into by Defender TD5 but fortunatley i have got off light and a good suck out and clean by someone who knows what to do has saved the day. Never had 2 vehicles carried away on the same day and hope i never have to do that again.

So will keep the forum updated on the dealer/Land Rover response next week.

Alan Smith

Post #25759310th Feb 2008 10:05 am
smiffyman

Land Rover have shown some concern and autherised the stripping down of the affected parts. According to them it just cannot happen, but they are worried that mods introduced last year to overcome the design problem may have failed. Interesting to see where they go from here.

Comments i am getting from a Dealer friend is that the vehicle should never have been sold as manual as the overall weight of vehicle is just too high for the clutch to cope with it. I also know of two owners who have done in excess 40,000 miles with no clutch problems. So who is right and could it be me and the way i drive. Not to worried on the last count having driven Land Rovers for more than 20 years.

As an automatic it is one of the best vehicles on the road. When mine works i also agree it is a great vehicle but i am worried for the future and the possible on going costs.

Thank you for listening to my worries.

Alan Smith

Post #25812911th Feb 2008 8:04 pm
smiffyman

LR3 CLUTCH & COMPUTER FAILURES

Follow up to my on going problem. It appears the flywheel was loose and out of alignment. Do not know why or what affect it has on the engine and gearbox. Any explanation would be welcome.

Dealer admits that the odds are stacked heavily in my favour as to the work being carried out under the terms of the warranty.

My main concern is not the repair, but why and is it going to happen again.

Is this a design problem or just bad initial assembly or reassembly when the clutch was replace 12 months ago.

Alan Smith

Post #25908313th Feb 2008 7:54 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

From my experience of rebuilding engines, I could easily accept a mis-aligned clutch as most need aligning on assembly with a special tool. Mis-alignment could cause vibration which my have the effect of loosening the whole clutch assembly. For the flywheel to be mis-aligned and come loose would take some Lode Lane Divvy to make an awful cock of assembly. The flywheel generally locates on at least one stud to line it up and is held in place on the end of the crankshaft by 4/5 bolts that are torqued down to big pressures and are unlikely to come undone/loose.

Hope this helps

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #25909013th Feb 2008 8:03 pm
smiffyman

LR3 CLUTCH & COMPUTER FAILURES

Hello and thank you.

The original clutch failure was put down to failure of the pressure plates which disintegrated when the engine was first put under pressure on my drive home from the dealer. I made it worse by driving further after asking their advice about the smell which they put down to new ness.

The damaged parts were replaced by a LR dealer with the engine still in the car. I undertand that it is difficult to line up things and not enough space to get the correct torque setting when tightening the nuts up, so it may well have happened when new parts fitted.

At Load lane they would have fitted everything to-gether before fitting engine into the Discovery.

So i now wonder what damage a mis aligned flywheel could do to the engine or other parts of the car. I can imagine out of balance wear to drive shafts and bearings maybe. It is a long time since i have taken an engine apart to do repairs in my own garage but i can still picture the setup which must be similar in most cars.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts. Having had variety of Landie's over the past 20 years from 90 Pick Up trialers through a series of Disco's and Defenders, I still enjoy them and accept most things they throw at us. I currently own a fleet of over 500 Land Rover models, having made many models under license for 10 years.

Not to sure of where things are going with the possible sale to TATRA in India and how it will affect prices, production and or quality.

Thanks again and looking forward to a satisfactory conclusion to my current problem.

Alan Smith

Post #25921213th Feb 2008 11:09 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Would appreciate your advice on this..

On selecting first when cold the vehicle tries to jump forward as if clutch not fully disengaged, continues to do this randomly until warm. What do I say to the service dept?
Thanks, BCP

Post #25921813th Feb 2008 11:17 pm
Fatboy Slim

Sounds like you're the next dead clutch victim sorry mate Sad Exactly the same as mine was, to be fair though its spot on since its been done. If its any use mine had:

Clutch kit
Flywheel
Slave cylinder
Bolt kit

and a few other odds and ends I can't recall at present. There seems to be a real problem with these 05/06 MY clutches.......................

Post #25957314th Feb 2008 9:51 pm
YeehawTwistyArms

United Kingdom 

Hi All,

Quite often now mine doesn't like being put into 1st (needs some force). So I will book it into Sturgess Leicester tomorrow.

I have seen reference to a 'Heavy Duty Clutch' being fitted to cure similar issues, any Disco'ers know what the rough costs of this would be?

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, I know how fast a car goes and what's included in each spec but the inner workings are a mystery.

Cheers,
YTA

Post #26052917th Feb 2008 6:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >