Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Airbag warning light - help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
klacey

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Airbag warning light - help needed

My airbag warning light keeps coming on. It first failed at 9,000 miles. I have so far had three visits to dealer, first was to re-set computer, second was to fit a new airbag with a long wait beforehand as they were out of stock and third is to try and effect another repair.
Does anyone know if Landrover has found a repair solution to this fault? I am fed up with driving miles to the dealer and spending tens of pounds on fuel costs, sometimes being given awful loan vehicles, and still having problems. Has anyone tried obtaining compensation? The number of faults on these vehicles are just unbelievable.

Post #2530030th Oct 2005 5:24 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Do you know what fault code was reported, if any, by the diagnostic computer when they did the reset?

Post #2530130th Oct 2005 5:34 pm
macstech

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Has it definetively to do with the airbag ?
I had a similar problem with the oil-pressure light. This fault has been in relation to water in the A-beam.
Can your fault be brought in connection with the weather ? Or humidity ?

The bulletin mentioned several lights whih can come on during to this mistake.

Quote:
The number of faults on these vehicles are just unbelievable.

Which other faults do you have?

Post #2530630th Oct 2005 5:46 pm
klacey

Airbag Warning light

I have not been told what error message was reported only that airbag needed replacing. I don't have any other warning light errors at present. the car did have a new drivers seat cover fitted before the airbag warning light came on. Obviously having airbag replaced and for the same error message to occur again is galling.

Post #2542631st Oct 2005 1:12 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Airbag Warning light

klacey wrote:
I have not been told what error message was reported only that airbag needed replacing. I don't have any other warning light errors at present. the car did have a new drivers seat cover fitted before the airbag warning light came on. Obviously having airbag replaced and for the same error message to occur again is galling.

Maybe the seat sensor was dislodged / damaged when the new cover was fitted ?

Post #2542831st Oct 2005 1:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have noticed on my car that the wiring loom under the seat becomes stretched to the limit if you move the seat fully forwards. I suppose this could cause your problem if a wire has snapped. But I would have expected your dealer to have found this. Maybe a new dealer would help???

Post #2549731st Oct 2005 7:18 pm
BN

England 

Still wiring and computer is the cars achilles heal

Post #2549831st Oct 2005 7:19 pm
nobbyclark

Ask the dealer to check the seatbelt pre-tensioners. That was the cause of the alway-on airbag light in my Mini.

Post #261053rd Nov 2005 10:04 am
Big Fish

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Air Bag Warning - Seat Belt tensioner alarm

Having just completed an 850 mile round trip with the Airbag and seatbelt alarms bleeping away, (the Hardon Karmon speakers came into their own), and a two hour wait at a useless dealer in Wales, the alarm was traced to a shorting wire in the seatbelt tensioner under the drivers seat. N Wales almost tried to fit a new tensioner, but thankfully they did not have one in stock. A neat trick that I Learnt toward the end of this audio assault, from a v.g eng at an LR Dealer back home was that by inserting and removing your seatbelt from its retainer 10 times within a minute disables the alarm. You probably new this already, but I managed to retain my sanity, just, as a result of it!

Post #263714th Nov 2005 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Air Bag Warning - Seat Belt tensioner alarm

Big Fish wrote:
A neat trick that I Learnt toward the end of this audio assault, from a v.g eng at an LR Dealer back home was that by inserting and removing your seatbelt from its retainer 10 times within a minute disables the alarm. You probably new this already, but I managed to retain my sanity, just, as a result of it!

I think it's nine times- but no matter. I've certainly succumbed to this solution to stop the annoyance when slow -speed manoeuvring without belt on.
Even though the audible alarm is disabled, the warning light still remains on the dash display
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #265016th Nov 2005 8:34 pm
klacey

Airbag warning light

My airbag warning light being on was caused (I am told by the dealer) by a problem with the "rotor arm" in the steering wheel. This was replaced. Steering wheel airbag previously replaced. Should these really fail at 9,000 miles?

This is our third landrover and it is proving to be a poor purchase....

Evil or Very Mad

Post #266067th Nov 2005 4:16 pm
BN

England 
Re: Airbag warning light

klacey wrote:
My airbag warning light being on was caused (I am told by the dealer) by a problem with the "rotor arm" in the steering wheel. This was replaced. Steering wheel airbag previously replaced. Should these really fail at 9,000 miles?

This is our third landrover and it is proving to be a poor purchase....

Evil or Very Mad

The slip ring in the steering wheel is a bit of an interesting item. Caused both my cruise control to fail, which I can understand and my suspension to fail, which I cannot understand. It is now responsible for my lack of power on starting from stationery in 1st gear high range, by upsetting the DSC apparently, which I also cannot understand.

When replaced it cured the cruise, but not the rest, so I think the dealer and LR Tech were wrong Evil or Very Mad

Post #266137th Nov 2005 4:45 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Now on my second D3, last one replaced after 6 months. New vehicle quieter and smoother and has behaved wonderfully for 9 days and 452 miles. AIRBAG warning light now randomly on and off although I did wonder if it was related to the heated seats. The saga begins again of dragging it to the dealers, wasting mornings in the coffee area and probably nothing found until the third visit.
On a brighter note it's an exceptional vehicle and there is nothing else out there to combine all our needs. Posts above are very useful and will report back on the fix.
BP

Post #2747811th Nov 2005 10:25 am
BN

England 

BCP wrote:
Now on my second D3, last one replaced after 6 months. New vehicle quieter and smoother and has behaved wonderfully for 9 days and 452 miles. AIRBAG warning light now randomly on and off although I did wonder if it was related to the heated seats. The saga begins again of dragging it to the dealers, wasting mornings in the coffee area and probably nothing found until the third visit.
On a brighter note it's an exceptional vehicle and there is nothing else out there to combine all our needs. Posts above are very useful and will report back on the fix.
BP

This is the biggest problem of wasted time. My vehicle has cost me at least 1700 miles to and from the dealer. Spent over a week with the dealer and at least 10 days of my time lost travelling to and from the dealers. LR remove the wasted time from their minds, even if the dealer does his best. Ten days lost is worth at least £5k to any business person in lost time not accounting for the fuel, tyres and depreciation travelling to and from the dealer. Then of course there is the depreciation of the mechanics mucky fingers everywhere dismantling the car.

It is simply not possible to take a car apart without making some mess and marks. Do the dealers or LR replace that, no way.

Post #2747911th Nov 2005 10:44 am
mattlynch

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Air Bag Warning Light

Just been to the dealers with the air bag light coming on. Apparently it is due to the seatbelt pre-tensioner, (not the problem they were expecting!).
But their first plan of action was to just 're-set' the whole system to 'see if that helps'!!!

It seems to me that any problem requires at least 2 visits to the dealer:-
1: When they 're-set' the system to see if it works.
2: When they start to work on the real problem that the 'system' told them was wrong!!!! Mad

Matt
 Disco 3 TDV6 S (Everyday and laning!)
Series 3 Ex-military Lightweight (Toy!!!)
Smart Roadster (commuting only!) 

Post #2753411th Nov 2005 4:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >