Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

ARB Bar vs Kangaroo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jamo

Australia 
ARB Bar vs Kangaroo

I hit a skippy dead centre a couple of weeks back. I was doing about 100kph on the gravel. It was a small one and it's head hit the top rail of the bar and then it went under the car.

The D3 didn't move off it's line one iota.

When I checked there was only one broken spot light cover and the bar looked like it was tilted ever so slightly backwards (~1deg).

I went to ARB for some other stuff and showed them how good their bar was. They looked at it and said it was stuffed. The bar's mounts must be bent and they can't (read shouldn't) be straightened. Evidently they're designed to do this.

Called the insurance company and it's now awaiting a new bar.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #23321012th Dec 2007 12:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Wow, the bullbar did it's job of protecting you and the car and jeez, the steel bullbar is a one-time use item! I thought they were designed to survive intact, most animal strikes. The issue of air-bag compliance must have made them "soft".
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #23340812th Dec 2007 9:16 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

How's Skippy? Shocked

Seriously, once the steel has undergone plastic deformation or past the yield stress as in the case of a roo hit.. the steel properties change in such a way that stress points are introduced and the bar is never the same again.. well at least that's what the theory is.. This is debatable (read: crap) ..... especially with minor deformation... How many car panels get straightened rather than replaced and insurance companies give it the OK? Question "cold working may be reversed by annealing the material at high temperatures where recovery and recrystallization reduce the dislocation density" but this could be costly.. Neutral

I will keep an eye out on fleabay for a slightly (if no) damage bull bar once your's is replaced Jamo ... Whistle

Nice to hear however that the bar did it's job...
Thumbs Up

Cheers Moby
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #23343012th Dec 2007 10:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Jamo,
You said it was a small one Question How big was it Question
I hit a 5 foot grey once (would have weighed about 60 kg) at 110kph, bounced the roo about 20m off the road, the side wing of the alloy bar was pushed back into the bodywork.
I just bent the bar back with a "Hi-lift" jack using a tree as support.
That was 20 years ago tho, before airbags.
What's your excess Question

Post #23344312th Dec 2007 10:54 pm
Jamo

Australia 

The roo was about 4 foot tall I suppose. Dead as a Dodo: Head into top bar, under the car and one leg must have gone under one of the rear wheels as it was stripped to the bone. I was glad it was dead as I would have had to finish him off otherwise.

It seems some other bars and older ARB bars used to have elongated mounting holes to allow for movement, but with airbags that's not the case anymore.

I hit a 6 foot boomer in the Suby about 4 years ago. It pushed the alloy bar back onto the bonnet and smashed in the front guard. I hit him on the front right so there must have been some deflection of his energy.

My excess is $250 and the bar is now about $2000 fitted so alls good. Plus, if there's any unseen damage that'll be covered as well. I have all my accessories listed with the insurance company.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #23352813th Dec 2007 3:25 am
MJC73

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not quite the same but 20 years ago we hit a Commodore head on in the family 3-door FFRR (both doing about 40kph) and it only bent our bullbar back a couple of inches, my boilermaker uncle had crafted the bullbar from steel, certainly did the job for us that day.

Poor blokes in the Commodore werent so lucky - where-as before the bonnet used to be 6ft long, it was now 6 feet high. The bloke in the back seat wasnt wearing his seatbelt so he hit the seat in front of him and broke it off its mounting causing the driver to hit the windscreen which due to the lamination didnt shatter completely just cracked and as he fell back it grabbed the front of his hair and took it and a bit of scalp, he looked pretty nasty when he got out, I was asleep in the back of the RR and just got a seatbelt burn and we drove the Rangie away, amazing machine and not the first time it saved our lives.

Post #23353013th Dec 2007 4:12 am
catweasel

MJC73 wrote:
The bloke in the back seat wasnt wearing his seatbelt so he hit the seat in front of him and broke it off its mounting causing the driver to hit the windscreen which due to the lamination didnt shatter completely just cracked and as he fell back it grabbed the front of his hair and took it and a bit of scalp, he looked pretty nasty when he got out.
Rolling with laughter classic  
Post #23355913th Dec 2007 9:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >