Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Very bad tyre wear on 7 seater Disco 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
robertpearse

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Very bad tyre wear on 7 seater Disco 3

Big Cry Hello felow disco owners. I have had my TDV6 for nearly two years and love it except for the tyre wear. I am still fitting the OE Goodyear Wranglers 255/60R18. I do 40,000K per year at 110K/hr on the Calder Highway from Woodend to Port Melb 5 days a week. The tyre wear on the Goodyears is horrible. I have worn out 8 tyres in 70,000K. Has anybody got any ideas on replacemnts for these expensive and fast wearing tyres? I have heard that Kookooks are pretty good and a lot cheaper but cant seem to find ones with the 112V load and speed rating.

Any assistance woud be apprecaited.

Cheers

Rob

Post #2321949th Dec 2007 3:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Rob
You could try Cooper 265/60R18 HT+ good road tire or General Grabber AT2 in the orignal size, good on road and off road. These tires are a lot less expencive and offer longer kms. and better handeling. as well as a stronger tire.

Rob

Post #2321969th Dec 2007 4:35 am
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Robert,
I agree with Rob. It appears to me that the Wranglers are very poorly made and this seems to often happen with any tyres fitted to almost any new vehicle, regardless of make. Also, it does appear that L/Rover send these cars out with alignments not checked at all. Make sure you have both front and rear wheels re aligned. The correct settings are available to tyre fitters. My Wranglers were Censored hopeless and ended up showing wire on the inside rears. I am running Coopers now on my HSE, having had the front and rears reset. They were out quite a bit and my originals were dangerous at 35,000km. Coopers will back their tyre for excessive wear as long as you have them checked and rotated.
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #2321979th Dec 2007 5:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Very bad tyre wear on 7 seater Disco 3

robertpearse wrote:
Big Cry Hello felow disco owners. I have had my TDV6 for nearly two years and love it except for the tyre wear. I am still fitting the OE Goodyear Wranglers 255/60R18. I do 40,000K per year at 110K/hr on the Calder Highway from Woodend to Port Melb 5 days a week. The tyre wear on the Goodyears is horrible. I have worn out 8 tyres in 70,000K. Has anybody got any ideas on replacemnts for these expensive and fast wearing tyres? I have heard that Kookooks are pretty good and a lot cheaper but cant seem to find ones with the 112V load and speed rating.

Any assistance woud be apprecaited.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,
Can't comment on the Coopers (but will be my choice when the time comes), but I can say that a trip to the dealer to get an alignment at the 20k mark and $220 out of pocket Evil or Very Mad, saved my OEM's. I have only covered 30,000km's in 2 years thus far and the OEM's are doing OK and hope to get 45,000 quite easily Rolling Eyes . Prior to alignment, the rears were sitting with too much negative camber (especially the RHS) and it was really obvious when looking at the vehicle from behind. Get a proper LR alignment and your OEM's will be OK...
Cheers
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #2323209th Dec 2007 9:32 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Very bad tyre wear on 7 seater Disco 3

robertpearse wrote:
I have heard that Kookooks are pretty good and a lot cheaper but cant seem to find ones with the 112V load and speed rating.

Check your tyre plate you will find it only has to be 109 rating. Smile
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2323599th Dec 2007 11:49 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I owned a tyre service for ten years and a
Wheel alignment shouldnt cost any
more than $75 to do both ends.
If you can , find out which tyre service your LR dealer is
using and take it directly to them
LR is tripling the price they are charged Evil or Very Mad

Post #23238510th Dec 2007 3:17 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

norto wrote:
If you can , find out which tyre service your LR dealer is
using and take it directly to them
LR is tripling the price they are charged Evil or Very Mad

I'm pretty sure ULr in Melb said that they did teh alignment in house.. Has anyone else had an alignment done in Melb? Question
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #23239510th Dec 2007 8:04 am
robertpearse

Hey you guys. Than Thumbs Up k you so much for gving me this info.

I am going to gete quote on the coopers and also check the load rating plate for the 109 V 112 rating.

You guys are gems.

I will let you now what the results are.

Cheers

Rob

Post #23241810th Dec 2007 11:28 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Rob,
I put the Cooper Ht+ on my D3 after my Wranglers wore out the rears in 30,000kms Exclamation
I don't think that the Coopers have quite as much grip and the fuel economy is not as good, also my rears got badly cut up on the Tanami and the Gibb Rolling Eyes
A mate of mine has 6 Wranglers for sale, 2 are as new, 4 are a bit worn (he has 2 spares). You could probably pick them up for a good price, ideal for bitumen. If you are interested I can PM you his email.

Post #23256310th Dec 2007 7:57 pm
robertpearse

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your comments. I have already decided to get the Coopers on
the rears only and will keep my eye on the fuel consumption. Mind you at
$345.oo each - best price in Melbourne v $450.00+ for the Wranglers, I'd
have to spend a lot on petrol (diesel) to make up the balance.

Cheers and appreciate the feedback,

Rob

Post #23319312th Dec 2007 11:46 am
robertpearse

Fitting Coopers on my Disco - Important lessons for all

Hey guys i want to thank you again for your advise on this matter and to bring you up to speed on what i have done and more importantly some very important lessons i have learned. Hopfully they will be of interst to you.

Tyre diamensions and the need to have them all consistant
As i mentioned i WAS going going to replace only the rears with the coopers HT +. Anyway yesterday i discovered that i had to replace all 4 as the difference betwenn the coopers at 165 and the Goodyears at 155 would have stuffed the diff in short time. So all 4 wheels now have coopers HT+. I still have to do the spare becasue that too would cause serious problems if i used it. Apparetnly it only takes a few K's for the damage to happen. Interesting NO ONE, from the tyre dealer, Coopers or Land Rover told me this when i was discussing the possibility of doing the change over, until i was committed to it. Luckly the dealer had got 4 coopers in beliving that i wanted all 4 done and not just two. Even then it took his tyre changer bloke to bring the problem to the surface as he was in the middle of cahnging over the rears!

Wheel alignment.
Knowing that it was very important to get the alignment right done i had a full front and rear alignment done. This was painfull as the tyre dealer did not have the current specs for the car in his machine so had to get in contact with the VACC blah blah and it took over an hour of hanging around for this info to come through. Later that day i took the car to Melbourne City LandRover and spoke with Peter Smeig, a service guy there and a great bloke and terrific help with everything to do with the car from new - highly reconmended - he really cares. I needed to know if the 165 tyres would fit into the spare carrier. Yup no problem. He then asked me if the alignemnt had been done with the suspension locked! What was he talking about???

It appears that Disco 3's MUST HAVE their suspension locked, only possible by the dealer, at some where between the off road high setting and normal road setting. Otherwise the alignment is just crap! Peter is now going to arrange for the alignemnt to be redone at no charge. - see he is a good guy!

So a couple of very salualatory lessons for me.

1. If changing tyre diameter keep all four the same including the spare.
2. Only get wheel alignementns done by the dealers.

Overall its been a learning expereince, costly even though my tyre dealers price for the Copers HT+ at $345 each including balance fitting etc. was well under the authorised Coopers dealers were priced at $375!

I will let you now of my expereinces with these tyres over the next few months. However already they feel different, more directional and slighty more harsher over bumps etc. However if they give me a 40% increase in killometers i will be happy. I am keeping a close watch on deisel consumption too.

So ther you are hope this is of interst. Of course i now do have 3 Goodyear Wranglers for sale to suit Disco 3. I unused, the spare and the two fronts with only a few thousand K's on them, Happy to sell them for $300 for the spare and $250 for the fronts. AS they were over $450 new not a unreasable price. Let me now if you are intersted.

Cheers

Rob

Post #23426514th Dec 2007 11:20 pm
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm curious about the same size tyres all round thing. (Sorry, I'm a natural sceptic!) The Disco is sold in the UK with a space saver spare. These are normally a totally different diameter. If you had different size tyres on the back of your Disco than the front, then the rotaional speeds would be different, but if you had the same size all around and were driving through say an "S" bend, then wouldn't the front tyres be turning at a different rate than the back? Just like if you had different size tyres?

All weird to me. I had my disco wheel aligned this past week as the OEM Wranglers are getting low on tread at 24K with some inside chipping on the driver's side front. My plan is to replace them with Cooper Discover ATR when the Disco Size is released mid 08.

Cheers

Mark T
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #23427214th Dec 2007 11:47 pm
robertpearse

Mark,
It kinda got my bull Censored meter going too when the tyre guy said this. He did have 2 extra tyres he had bought in for me! However it was not him that raised it with me in the first instance but his fitter.......So as the job was half way done, with the Coopers on the rears fitted and back onto the car, to call it off would have meant getting the old tyres back onto the wheels and refitting them again, i kept the ball rolling. Maybe i have been hoodwinked. I am having another converstaion with Peter Smeig at Melb City LR on Monday so will see what he says.

I reckon that these LR dealers must be totally fed up with the tyre wear problems they get shoved in thier face every day from folks who are trying to do the right thing and support the marque by using OE tyres.

Will post his comments.

Cheers

Rob

Post #23432015th Dec 2007 3:00 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Aneybody Know why or what is the reason the suspension needs to be locked at a particular hight which seems to be inbetween off road and on road hight to do an alignment ? This seems strange as I would think the hight it should be set at would be on road hight. Am I missing something here Question

Rob

Post #23432515th Dec 2007 4:52 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The D3 with air suspension adjusts itself every so often. A pump to one corner here, and a release from another there - to level out the body as best it can.

Post #23452416th Dec 2007 6:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >