DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Coil vs. Air Suspension (esp. offroad)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
sbarnham

Australia 
Coil vs. Air Suspension (esp. offroad)

Guys,

I am working through the decision making process for a new car. Leaning towards the D3. Drove a manual yesterday, and if we go that path, we can only get the 'S' in a manual, so need to decide between coils and air suspension.

I drove a manual coiler D3 + an auto air suspension D3 yesterday, and wondered if the coils cornered better. I think the air soaks up the bumps more.

I am worried about coils offroad now that it's independant suspension. Seems like the air gets the rave offroad due to the cross-linked thingy to push the car up. I worry a coil D3 would have less clearance than a coil D2 which we just wrote off.

If you own an S with coils, how do you find them on and off road ?
If you own air suspension, what are your thoughts ?

Thanks,
Scott

Post #22877028th Nov 2007 12:13 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Scott - you'll get everyone's responses to this one, based simply on personal preference - I do think though that you'll get a majority of responses that say...
- get an auto, get the TDv6, and get air suspension - it really is a great combination.

I've owned D1, D2 (with rear SLS), and now a D3 SE as above. Loved them all - love the D3 with air all round the most. The off-roadability of the air suspension is fantastic, and the on-road ride is great too.

If you go coils, one of the first issues you'll notice is lack of ground clearance off-road - this can be fixed with a King Springs replacement - adding about 40mm to the clearance, and a better ride. Bilstein shocks are also now available as replacements. But htis means you're modifying the vehicle as soon as you take delivery Sad

If you do a search, you'll find some owners that have had issues with the air suspension, but you'll find many more that are very happy with air... (and the auto box with the diesel motor is a great match!).

All the best - whichever whay you go - if you get the D3, it's a great car/bus/truck etc!

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #22879328th Nov 2007 4:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Scott I have to agree with simon.
I have a D3 with raised coils (the standard coils are hopeless off road and too soft for towing)
Get the airbags and the auto is a great gearbox

Post #22879528th Nov 2007 5:27 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you do a lot of dirt driving drive both on dirt particulary find some corrugations. Compare and decide if this is an issue for you.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22879628th Nov 2007 6:29 am
Swampy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Scott,
I have a MY05 S coiler auto after updgrading from a 98 Series 1. Ground clearance was a huge disappointment and regret not finding the extra loot for the Air Suspension. That said the coiler is magic on rough or corrugated tracks just pity about the clearance. For me its either Kings Springs or a new D3 with Air suspension.
Cheers

Post #22881528th Nov 2007 10:37 am
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Suspension

Scott, Like the others I have had D1's and D2's( with ACE) all manual gear boxes. I decided to go TdV6 with auto and air suspension after reading the road tests and it is the best decision ever. The air suspension is superior in all conditions and the auto(my first!) is superb. The air suspension model also has a feature called ARM, "Anti Roll Mitigation" much like the ACE feature on the D2 so you can corner without the body roll. As the manual gearbox is a "no cost option" I would recommend the auto every time. I have crossed the Simpson desert and done the Birdsville trip and it is so very easy with this vehicle.
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #22881828th Nov 2007 10:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sniegy

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Suspension

garryc wrote:
The air suspension model also has a feature called ARM, "Anti Roll Mitigation" much like the ACE feature on the D2 so you can corner without the body roll.

Scott, Garry,
This is incorrect, A Quote from the UK LR Site-
"Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Active Roll Mitigation (ARM) work with the braking system designed to correct cornering over or understeer and to help maintain stability at all times"
This is a safety package that comes standard with the D3 on all models, it is very effective & works well.
The Discovery 3 does NOT have a system like the D2's ACE. The RRSport does & this is caled "Dynamic Response" which works with the Sway Bar. This is an Active component not a reactive component like in the D2.
Just to clarify for u both.
Cheers.
 D4 Alaska/Almond 2.7 TDV6 with E-diff & extra's.. Smile

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #22882528th Nov 2007 11:00 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Scott,

Can you not option a manual S with air suspension? I know you could with an auto S.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #22909028th Nov 2007 11:49 pm
sbarnham

Australia 

[quote="disco4x4au"]Scott,

Can you not option a manual S with air suspension? I know you could with an auto S.

Cheers,

Gordon[/quote

Yes you can, but trying to understand if it's worth the $$ and the 4 month wait for a special order.

Post #22911229th Nov 2007 1:33 am
Aedo

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

sbarnham wrote:
Yes you can, but trying to understand if it's worth the $$ and the 4 month wait for a special order.

This implies you can find a D3 in stock Shocked No stock in WA of anything when we ordered a month or so ago.

Post #22911429th Nov 2007 2:28 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Problem is when it comes to resale it is still an S you wont get extra money you paid back. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22911529th Nov 2007 3:40 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

sbarnham wrote:

Well, that depends on what you plan to do with the car:
1. Is it going to be a 'keeper'?
2. Will you'll be doing more than running down to the shops and back
3. Do you really really have to have a manual.

If the answer to all three above is 'yes', then get your 'S' with air suspension as an option. If you answer 'no' to q2, it probably doesn't matter. On the other hand if you only answer 'yes' to q2, save up and get the SE

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #22911629th Nov 2007 4:01 am
sbarnham

Australia 

disco4x4au wrote:
Well, that depends on what you plan to do with the car:
1. Is it going to be a 'keeper'?
2. Will you'll be doing more than running down to the shops and back
3. Do you really really have to have a manual.

1. If it's reliable I plan to keep it for 5-10 years like my d2 (until it got rolled and written off at 8yrs)
2. Yes, we did 'medium serious offroad' in the d2 and used the full articulation of the d2. Plan same for d3
3. I would like the manual, but starting to wonder if I am going to be forced into an auto.

Post #22944530th Nov 2007 2:24 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Scott - my Discovery 3 is an auto air suspended TDV6 S 2006 model (51 000 km). It is probably the best car (for purpose) I have ever driven. My previous 4WDs were manual (and never diesel) but this is the most comfortable off road vehicle I have owned. As well, I purchased it to tow a 2.5 tonne Bushtracker caravan and other than the poor towing hitch height (discussed at length elsewhere but somewhat resolved by modifying the van's drawbar) I have no complaints other than the ridiculously low receiver hitch.

After a day at the wheel I feel almost as refreshed as if I had driven for 20 minutes or so. You do need to adjust the seat correctly to suit as the headrest does intrude if the seat is too upright.

If I was buying again, I would go for the SE (or HSE) to get the extra goodies but as I intend to keep this vehicle for at least 5 years, I am very satisfied with the overall package.

It well and truly exceeds customer expectation! The team that designed it should feel justifiably proud.

HTH, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #22944830th Nov 2007 2:55 am
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Suspension

Sniegy wrote:
garryc wrote:
The air suspension model also has a feature called ARM, "Anti Roll Mitigation" much like the ACE feature on the D2 so you can corner without the body roll.

Scott, Garry,
This is incorrect, A Quote from the UK LR Site-
"Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Active Roll Mitigation (ARM) work with the braking system designed to correct cornering over or understeer and to help maintain stability at all times"
This is a safety package that comes standard with the D3 on all models, it is very effective & works well.
The Discovery 3 does NOT have a system like the D2's ACE. The RRSport does & this is caled "Dynamic Response" which works with the Sway Bar. This is an Active component not a reactive component like in the D2.
Just to clarify for u both.
Cheers.

I stand corrected on that. I will not listen to a salesman ever again Very Happy
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #22947330th Nov 2007 10:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >