Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Returning the wrong part for trailer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 
Returning the wrong part for trailer?

I phoned up a Southampton based Ships Chandelier. I wanted a galvanised number plate holder for the boat trailer. It has to fit inside 30mm square tubes, so I told the guy I wanted the 25mm size extension to fit inside.

He point blank refused to accept this would fit and told me I wanted 20mm because of the reduction/expansion of this size due to the galvanisation process. I stuck to my guns, told him I'd accurately measured it and even with 25mm plus it would fit, but he implied he wouldn't supply the part as he simply knew it wouldn't fit, so I relented.

I took delivery yesterday and guess what? The Censored thing is too Censored small and I've measured it and the 25mm would have been perfect. I've emailed the company - Extreme Marine and haven't had a reply yet.

Thing is the order was only about £35 plus £17 postage, paid for via Visa. To send them back will be a similar amount. I just can't see them refunding me the original price plus return postage and send me out the correct size! i am contemplating keeping the wrong part just to save the hassle and order the correct bit, which I know I shouldn't do. I am bit annoyed about the whole thing.

Post #18439044th Aug 2017 7:31 am
Pelyma

England 

Is it Visa credit or debit card? If its a credit card give the CC issuer the problem.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #18439254th Aug 2017 8:34 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

It was a Visa Credit Card.

I received an email saying please phone them, which I did. Nice enough, but the guy says their Chief Engineer? had looked at the original photo and said it was a 40mm box section I was fitting it in, hence the space. I told them it wasn't and said I'd photo a ruler up against it and email, which I did. Strangely, have heard another peep from them.

Wouldn't mind, but they disputed my initial measurements, now indirectly calling me a liar. I am just waiting for them to say the ruler is wrong. Rolling Eyes

Dunno what they are trying to prove, my mistake not theirs I suppose. I'd have been delighted if the part fitted.

Post #18439824th Aug 2017 11:39 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

You'll need the calibration certificate for the rule. Whistle

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #18440264th Aug 2017 4:15 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Probably and surprisingly I had fleetingly thought of that when I hijacked the kids ruler, then dismissed it. All the other ones were clear plastic and wouldn't have shown up on the photo so well. They can see it's not 40mm, which is all that matters I suppose.

I hadn't heard back from them at 4pm, so phoned to be told the guy I spoke to was out delivering a trailer and they'd leave a note for him on his return, but it would probably be Monday until he phoned back.

I'll play nicely, but ultimately all I want is the correct one, simples really. I wouldn't mind, but when I placed the order, I did stress I was after the 25mm one. I even told him I'd triple checked it including the inside measurements.

He asked me the make of the trailer and then stuck his heels in and told me he'd be very unhappy to supply me with that size and insinuated he'd refuse the order because he knew it was the wrong size. Rolling Eyes

It wasn't a particularly large order, but because the length was just over a metre, I got flat rated by the firm at £17 for the Courier. I did double check with the PO to return it. They are roughly £14, so it's a costly mistake, but not one of my making, so I don't see that I should be out of pocket.

Post #18440404th Aug 2017 5:32 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

If all else fails, could you make up a packer section with 4mm HDPE (or similar) around the 20mm section?

It slides well (virtually friction free) and would allow you to drill as required to bolt through and connect the two elements.

Just a thought...
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #18444856th Aug 2017 8:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >