Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Aussie review on the new D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

@ Scarry:

I spent a full day going around the main LR course at Eastnor for an article in Land Rover Monthly a month or two ago and the car is very capable off road, in some ways better than the D4; the lighter weight helped, as did a much, much improved surround camera system. It was only the comparatively poor visibility, especially having to guess where the front corners sides are (and the surround cameras does not make up the difference) along with the only too pretty to be much use wheel options that really let it down.

If it's anything like the L405 Range Rover, the aftermarket may give up on providing the useful load carrying stuff, like decent roof racks, ladders, winches and bash plates - which may be a problem in Aus.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #185277831st Aug 2017 12:24 pm
J77

Scotland 

Warn provided a winch for the D5 press launch but the D5 ain't been crashed tested with it or something or other.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #185278831st Aug 2017 12:38 pm
scarry

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Red Merle wrote:
@ Scarry:

I spent a full day going around the main LR course at Eastnor for an article in Land Rover Monthly a month or two ago and the car is very capable off road, in some ways better than the D4; the lighter weight helped, as did a much, much improved surround camera system. It was only the comparatively poor visibility, especially having to guess where the front corners sides are (and the surround cameras does not make up the difference) along with the only too pretty to be much use wheel options that really let it down.

If it's anything like the L405 Range Rover, the aftermarket may give up on providing the useful load carrying stuff, like decent roof racks, ladders, winches and bash plates - which may be a problem in Aus.

No accessories is a real issue,Bull bars,and heavy duty cargo barriers(such as Milford),not dog guards,etc, are essential for country touring,particularly in remote areas.The rumours are ARB will not develop accessories for this vehicle.They have actually stated in one of there mags,that as the vehicle has moved up market a few rungs,they will not have one in their stable.

Tyre sizes are also another major issue,unless 18" after market rims appear,so LT tyres such as BFG KO2 can be fitted.

No after market accessories are available at the moment,but we will have to wait and see.

Sure the vehicle is hugely capable off road,but will that sway buyers,from other manufacturers of vehicles in the same class?
I doubt it.
How many of these vehicles will actually be used off road?
Very few.

Post #18530211st Sep 2017 7:35 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the Disco is going the way of the RRS. The original RRS never got much attention for off road use and there is little available for it. RRS2 has nothing available at all I think. Sad really. The original RRS is as good as a D3 off road and the RRS2 is excellent with better ground clearance and even better Terrain Response etc. Most just get polished and driven to the office/supermarket. Real shame.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #18531621st Sep 2017 3:57 pm
scarry

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

We call them soccer mums chariots over here Laughing Laughing

They have one trip to the beach each year and end up badly bogged with those silly low profile tyres.

Then a vid ends up on U tube for everyone to laugh at.

Does the LR marque wonders.

Toyota in Aus are sitting back laughing all the way to the bank,they already lead the sales charts in almost every category as it is.They sold around 5 Land cruisers to every D4.

No diesel Patrol,no Defender,D5,well we won't go there,no Ford territory.

Post #18532941st Sep 2017 9:41 pm
jeepmadmike

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I cannot bring myself to even go to the dealer it's plan ugly and far to posh to use and abuse, the only thing that attracts me is it being lighter.

If the new defender doesn't arrive soon I'm buying a different brand! - Still fancy another G wagon?..
 MY14 post man pat van
70series land cruiser
1947 willys jeep
Hobby 670 motor home
And lots of other stuff in my shed, on my driveway or abandoned in the village
Several VW T5's
Mitsubishi outlander
And a Suzuki X90... Only drive that at night 

Post #18535383rd Sep 2017 7:17 am
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

other problems with the D5

:It's not really new, the body shape was released several years ago as the discovery concept.

:The d5 Release was pushed back several years, to introduce the discovery sport. What should of been a 10 year product life, became close to 13 years, how many potential D5 owners got sick of waiting for the new model and went elsewhere ?

:The instrument cluster is not new or exciting it's equal to a 2009 d4, even basic audis sedans at 1/3 -1/2 the price of a premium D5, offer partial or full tft screens with in dash navigation etc.

: the second row seats are dreadful

: the engine range is terrible, how on earth could they consider gutless 4 cylinder engines forThe Aussie market, where people travel large distances towing caravans etc. Toyota landruiser owns the large 4wd market in Oz and they have as standard V8 turbo diesels with twin fuel tanks.

: seven seats is an option? WTF

: ridiculous pricing

Have LR been to slow with the introduction of the new D5? The fastest growing vehicle market in Australia Is dual cab 4wds.

Post #18538594th Sep 2017 2:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >