DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 Surges when I start it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gerald007

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
D3 Surges when I start it

D3 Surges when I start it: Shocked

I have a D3 TDV6. A couple of months ago, beginning of autumn, the vehicle one morning started surging after being started. Aggressively and constantly up to 3000 rpm and even higher. Drops back down and surges back again. If I put it into gear, the surge stops, but the vehicle is lethargic when driven. Fuel consumption is also higher.
It doesn't do this all the time, but in summer it is worse.
Some observations: if I turn the key for the vehicle to run through its diagnostics and the 'coil' light stays on for an extended time, the vehicle is guaranteed to surge. Somthimes after driving for a couple of kilometres it will settle, power returns and it is fine. If standing in the sun for some time, the 'coil' light is almost guaranteed to stay on for a while and when started it surges.
I have had it in twice for diagnostics, but nothing comes up. I was told it is the EGR at a stage, then told, it might not be that.
Sometimes while driving it randomly starts to surge. Which is new. Mainly happens when started, and then continues to do it post that.
I thought it could be the turbo or a sensor, but I have been told it may well be the gearbox. Not an expert on D3, so I'm not sure what this can be. Especially when supposed experts and computers cannot tell me what it is.
I was wondering if anyone has heard about this or experienced anything similar with your vehicle. Eager to get this fixed.

Post #183723115th Jul 2017 10:09 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's very very likely to be the oil temperature sensor. Not he side of the sumo, easy to change.
When it fails and thinks it's -30 then the fuelling strategy changes and can cause it to surge in the way to say. Can also cause it to stall when slowing down to a junction.

If you have anything that can read live values, I'm betting it will show -20 or -30.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #183734216th Jul 2017 11:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gerald007

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Bodsy. I haven't heard that yet, but appreciate your years of experience. I'll have it changed and let you know if there is any change. Thumbs Up
I would be amazed if my problem is the first of its kind.

Post #183747116th Jul 2017 6:09 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Check the live values if you can. But this is a common issue.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #183748916th Jul 2017 6:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >