Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

metallic droning sound from front of D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MontagneM

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
metallic droning sound from front of D3

Oh Lordy.. I feel like I'm being victimised by the D3 (2008 3 TDV6 SE)

Last weekend changed compressor, Suspension all now ok.

I knew I had to change the AT fluid so decided to do it this weekend. However during the week I got an EGR valve fault.... intermittent but it puts me into low power and computer says no mode. So I've ordered replacement valve as Im a long way from anywhere.

During the week I noticed a metallic droning noise coming from the front (ish). Deluded myself into thinking the AT was getting bad and the fluid change might help.

So today I changed the fluid... got 8.1 litres out by extracting from the return to oil cooler and then pressurising the replacement in. All good.... took it for test.... box as smooth as silk, minor judder gone, changes great. However metallic drone still there.

Changed front diff oil as I had some, in fact it wasn't black and there was no swarf in it only a small build up of powered metal on the magnet. Test drive... drone still there.

It doesn't get worse or better by turning left or right, there's no obvious play in the wheel bearing when jacked off the ground. it doesn't sound scrapey when put into neutral and rotated by hand.

It does diminish slightly if I am driving then slip the box into Neutral and freewheel... it then comes back when I engaged "D" again.

So, whats the next test or what do I change.... wheel bearing, driveshaft or Diff (service kit perhaps)?

I feel like I'm being put through the wringer at the moment.

any advice appreciated.

cheers
 D3 2008 TDV6 SE
IID Tool Bluetooth 

Post #18328692nd Jul 2017 9:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >