DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

D5 for the weekend
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
artschool

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: D5 for the weekend

Bello35 wrote:
Sorry, but most in here keep saying that the D5's rear is awful but for me the front is no better... Neutral

Post #182792317th Jun 2017 10:00 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

crews control wrote:
Should never apologise for being fussy when judging good design... it's all about the details. Just a shame the idiot who designed the D5 wasn't fussy at all.
Crying or Very sad

Thank you, I know the topic has been done to death, so I will try not to add to it further, but relatively small changes to the design of the D5 could have made such a difference.

As with most people on the site I am a huge Land Rover fan, and I am genuinely saddened by what I feel has been allowed to happen to the Discovery and the Discovery brand.

We have a dipstick campaign, we now need a 4x4 campaign, as when Land Rover's were still referred to as and made 4x4's they were great, now they are lumped in with other lesser SUV's they are designing to lower expectations.

Morning rant over, now to find some ibuprofen.
 Andy

Post #182797618th Jun 2017 8:16 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

crews control wrote:
Should never apologise for being fussy when judging good design... it's all about the details. Just a shame the idiot who designed the D5 wasn't fussy at all.
Crying or Very sad

"Good design" is a subjective thing though - at least as far as aesthetics is concerned.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #182809218th Jun 2017 3:42 pm
Scottbrad

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Ok, so I was given a 2.0ltr HSE for the weekend and we give it a good run out, putting about 300 miles on it across the weekend. Looks wise - I sent the photo of both the D5 and my D4 on my drive (above) to a couple of none Land Rover mates and they unanimously preferred my D4 and I do as well.

The 2.0ltr D5 drives really well, on the motorway and also on the twisty stuff, if I’m honest, probably better than D4 especially on country roads however I put this down to it feeling more like a car than a 4x4. How I described it to the dealer was, I felt like I was sitting in the D5 rather than on it like I do with the D4, and I like that tractor like seating position of the D4, it gives a great commanding view of the road ahead. Comfort wise, I think the D4 takes it, the D5 is no way an uncomfy car but I had a bit discomfort after a long motorway stint which I never do in my D4.

Interior - it is definitely a step up, it’s more Range Rover like in terms of quality and functionality moving away from the rugged interior of the D4 and its predecessors, which I personally prefer. I like the technology on the D5, for example the electronic folding rear seats, it was very handy when I was trying to load my bike into it however that brings me onto a point where I think the D5 takes a step back and that’s the load entrance, the D4 has a load entrance like a van which makes loading of bulky stuff really easy, the D5 has a more sloping aperture which makes loading a little more trickier. I think like others have said, the rear seats of the D5 are far too low, I’m 6,4” and I’d hate to do a long journey in the back.

When I dropped the car off this morning and explained my feelings to the dealer, he didn’t say it but I could tell he agreed and even after I said I wouldn’t be interested in buying one anytime soon, he still offered me a 3.0ltr to try – does this suggest they’re struggling to shift them?

Final point – I was walking out the chippy on Saturday night and walking back towards the rear of the car and I still can’t stand its backside, its dog ugly.

Thanks but no thanks Land Rover, which is a shame as there’s nothing out there at the moment that has the potential of matching the D4.

Cheers Scott.  
Post #182830319th Jun 2017 10:44 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Very well put and pretty much exactly how I feel about the car too. Thumbs Up
I know LR are aiming for a bigger market but it's still a shame they've left their core customers behind.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #182831619th Jun 2017 11:21 am
silversurfer13

United Kingdom 

PeanutBob wrote:
That had occurred to me as well when I saw it in the flesh. Why did they have the make the front so bulbous? It reminds me of Ollie the Octopus.

To make the revised facelifts they'll give it during it's life so much easier to win votes with Razz

Post #182834919th Jun 2017 12:36 pm
J77

Scotland 

At least you tried it, unlike some who say it's crap but can't back that statement up with the reason why they think it's crap because they haven't actually tried it Thumbs Up

For me I wouldn't go back to a D4 now, I've had mine 3 months now, took a bit of adjusting but now I wouldn't change it for anything else in the range. Its handled everything my D4 handled, in some areas better.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #182839119th Jun 2017 3:43 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:

Yes, mouse and she does before anyone asks. Embarassed

Obviously cut from the same mould as mine Laughing

Post #182839619th Jun 2017 3:49 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've yet to drive one, primarily because I can't get comfy in the D5. In the D3/4, there's room for me to extend my left leg between the brake pedal and the foot rest. This isn't possibly in the D5. I appreciate that's not going to be a problem for most people, but being 6ft7" it makes an enormous difference to me Sad i might be able to "doctor" the foot rest, but it would mean cutting the carpet.

I had to collect a range cooker last Friday, no problem for the D4 Smile :

2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #182841919th Jun 2017 4:23 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

As one of the regular D5 moaners, I will admit I have declined a test drive.

Like LT at well over 6ft I couldn't get comfortable and to be honest, I consider it so ugly I wouldn't buy one regardless of how it drives.
 Andy

Post #182844619th Jun 2017 5:39 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I'm 6ft 2 in and don't find the D5 at all uncomfortable and I'm in the fortunate position of having driven it extensively both on and off road. It is an impressive vehicle in many respects, more capable off road than a D4 due to the latest generation Terrain Response, All Terrain Progress Control, Cameras etc and it is not bad on the road, although in some situations I still prefer the D4 on road.

Would I buy one - at the moment No.

I don't like the look and it's not growing on me. Followed one the other day and both SWMBO and daughter called it 'fugly'

It's too expensive for what you get - about £10000 more for the same spec D4.

Post #182845519th Jun 2017 6:09 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

It's such a paradox reading here over and over how SWMBO says it's ugly etc... Personally I would (and will, at some stage) justify the 'unique' styling to myself but when I pointed out a D5 to my SWMBO for the first time, she was surprisingly vocal on her opinion. And she really, really doesn't have much to say on cars, ever.

So - we all understand the intended design direction, yet the ladies aren't liking it! Find that strange.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #182846319th Jun 2017 6:22 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

My experience is exactly as above. I want to like the D5 and am averagely negative on it (at best but hey the Q7 is no looker so I would have to buy a Volvo - never done that before!), but SWMBO hates the look of the thing. Have declined a test drive too. In fact surprised they offered me one as they normally make no effort to offer me anything.

Sorry LR it's you first duff car for a long, long time so heads up and carry on.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #182869020th Jun 2017 11:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >