Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

rattle or resonance sound when increasing speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
europeancemike

United Kingdom 
rattle or resonance sound when increasing speed

Help please. Local stealer have scratched thgeir heads on this one and replaced a propshaft bearing stating the problem was now solved and oooohhh nooooo its not.

A resonating rattle occurs at certain speeds when foot is on the accelerator enough to make the speed increase (probably makes the nosie when accelerating hard too but noise of engine drowns it out) Its most noticable around the 40-50 mph mark but is noticeable up to 70 and down to 30. It doesn't change frequncy when increasing the speed and stops when taking foot off the pedal slightly. It will return when pressing again slightly, its almost controlable in this way. At first I thought it was a resonating heat shield or soemthing (and thats the best way to discribe the noise - sort of metallic).

Any ideas? Thanks

Post #6809709th Aug 2010 12:53 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Catalytic converter?
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #68131410th Aug 2010 6:46 am
europeancemike

United Kingdom 

Thanks how do I check the cat? By the way forgot to say the noise doesn't occur if I rev in neutral.

Post #68135810th Aug 2010 11:26 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Censored ! That makes it tricky - for all sorts of possible causes. Sad

As you have said, it is only under load (accelerating).

Have you tried holding in different gears and see if the symptoms are road speed or rev dependent?

Try checking the fitting of the heat shields in the engine bay.

Best Wishes,
Peter

PS: As you can see, I'm scratching my head on this one, hopefully someone else will give you some advice.
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #68161311th Aug 2010 3:14 am
europeancemike

United Kingdom 

Checked heat shields and seem ok. Its an auto but tried holding in gear and its definitely not road speed related as just a touch on the pedal brings the noise back with no noticeable change in road speed it goes away again when I come off the pedal. This is doing my head in too.

Post #68167611th Aug 2010 11:48 am
europeancemike

United Kingdom 

For those who are interested the dealer has investigated, to be fair very thouroughly, and their conclusion is that the fuel pump is making the noise. My car is 2005 reg and apparently the fuel pump was changed on new models after 2007 but this was for a different reason . they compared the noise of my car with other discos of the same age and the noise is exactly the same, most prominent with the windows open and crusing with a light tough on the pedal at 50 mph. the noise is not apparent on models after 2007 and appears to be more notcieable on autos before 2007 rather than manuals. It wasn't clear why this would be the case but I heard the noise on a different car too and unless we both have the same fault then it is something that comes as standard. their conclusion was nothing needs doing and changing the fuel pump wasn't an option. Anyone got any wise words to add?

Post #6886432nd Sep 2010 2:40 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Mike,
europeancemike wrote:
This is doing my head in too.

europeancemike wrote:
their conclusion is that the fuel pump is making the noise.
their conclusion was nothing needs doing and changing the fuel pump wasn't an option

To be fair, if it's doing your head in, then it's because it is annoying and you can obviously notice that there is something wrong.

If they conclude that the noise is coming from the HPFP, then why the hell do they say that changing it is not an option? Something doesn't sound right Question Question

There was a TSB about faulty fuel pumps on MY08 models (or something like this) due to degradation of the bearings causing noise and also squirting fuel over the engine (catching fire in some cases).....although you might be out of the VIN range, it may have been widened recently - ask them to check...

Just out of interest, does switching the climate/air-con OFF help to quieten down the noise?

Another option would be to try another dealer if that is a possibility for you. Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6886672nd Sep 2010 3:33 pm
europeancemike

United Kingdom 

The aircon being off doesn't make any difference. I think the model 08 year has a different fuel pump due to the new fuel injection system from 07. as you have an 06 auto does your car make this noise? i went out with the dealer in anoth 05 car and it had the same noise as mine at 50 mph most often and at lower speeds but not so easy to pick up because it doesn't last very long when you release the pedal slightly but at 50 mph you can defintely control the and create the noise with the throttle pedal. Might try the new dealer suggestion when my dubloon bucket is replenished.

Post #6886852nd Sep 2010 4:14 pm
europeancemike

United Kingdom 

I thought I would update to say the problem is still here but would very much like to hear from anyone with a pre 2007 auto to let me know if they too have the same noise. At least then I can take comfort from the fact we all have the same issue and can share the pain.

Post #8031293rd Jun 2011 10:25 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:
It doesn't change frequncy when increasing the speed and stops when taking foot off the pedal slightly. It will return when pressing again slightly, its almost controlable in this way

You sure it's not the diff......?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8031393rd Jun 2011 11:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not sure if it's the same noise but mine makes a low droning sort of noise at similar speeds under gentle acceleration, I found on mine that it's actually engine speed related and only occurs at around 1400 - 1500 rpm, once over that speed it's gone.

Definitely sounds like some kind of resonance - but no idea where from.

Edit; ISTR there are one or two other threads on here alluding to a similar "issue"?
 Clive

Post #8031783rd Jun 2011 1:07 pm
europeancemike

United Kingdom 

Can you control the noise with the accelerator pedal around 50mph? The best way to describe it is drive with the drivers window down, slowly increase speed to about 50mph and at some point there will be a distinct metallic resonance sound, if its the smae as mine then this will dissappera if you press the pedal and go faster but come back if you come off the gas slightly, almost controllable with very light presses of the accel pedal. its not the diff.

Post #8031843rd Jun 2011 1:23 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I can't say that I've listened to it with the window down, or that it's a metallic sound, just a dull drone sort of noise (from inside the cabin,) I can control it with a gentle touch of the gas pedal as you say but the actual road speed at which it occurs is depending on what gear you're in, as I said, on mine it seems to coincide with a specific engine speed.

TBH, it's been there since I got the car and I tend to ignore / not notice it now, bit like a ticking clock - just hope it's not a ticking time-bomb Laughing

It it's a metallic sound it could be something like a loose exhaust heatshield?
 Clive

Post #8031993rd Jun 2011 2:10 pm
europeancemike

United Kingdom 

sounds like you have a similar thing, mine is all through the range once you are listening for it but most noticeable at 45-50. I have tended to believe the dealer (see earlier post of mine) that its the fuel pump/valve switching which was replaced on newer 2007 models with the new fuel injection system. not sure I entriely understood but I did hear it demonstrated on another 06 disco. I am not convinced it was there from new though otherwise it would have been well known by now. It was new to the two dealers as well so it might just becoming apparent as certain parts wear out or bits fall off in the rain. Any dealers/service bods out there that would car to pass comment? thanks

Post #8032023rd Jun 2011 2:20 pm
mayhem

United Kingdom 

I have played this game for almost 5 months with my local dealer. I get the same noise between 1350-1500RPM when the vehicle is under light load, once above 1500RPM its gone, the noise is tinny and i can feel the vibration through my left foot when its on the foot rest. I discovered that the vehilce was aways in 5th when i got this rattle by testing it at various speeds in auto and using command shift. I could bring the noise on almost at will in command shift and 5th. I have left the vehicle with the dealer for about 2-3 weeks in total over time and they have replaced the torque convertor, messed about with the prop shaft and reset the gearbox actuators and still no joy. I too have driven another vehicle to see if it was limted to my car but the other vehicle, a car on sale with the dealer, also had a similar problem. I then took one of the dealers experienced guys out for a test drive with me and he diagnosed a potential exhaust rattle which turned out to be a heatshield problem and a gearbox mount. To be fair the problem did go away for a month but is now back, so im resigned to the fact that there is a design flaw / feature in the vehicle that just cant be dialled out.

Post #8038426th Jun 2011 6:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >