Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tracking, Tie rods (& Lower arms?) (Some German words)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Tracking, Tie rods (& Lower arms?) (Some German words)

Hi,

The tracking was out on my car so I replaced tie rods and tie rod ends because both were shot (the latter more than the former). I got the tracking done in Germany and received this back. It's in German...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1z5xvBEB...sp=sharing

The car is much improved. Like 95% better, but it's not 100%. When i got the tracking done using equipment I believe was state of the art, the guy said he thought the car had been in a crash. I however immediately thought could be lower arms.

Using the medium of international sign I ascertained that the highlighted problem translates as play in the wheels pointing inwards and then pointing out.

I expect an invitation to the worlds strictest MOT in Zurich any time now, and whilst I'm sure I'd pass in the UK, I need to be ready to correct this ASAP if necessary to meet Swiss standards. Might it be time to invest in a reciprocating saw?

Thanks,

Andy

Post #18227735th Jun 2017 1:22 pm
Markland

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How do think, will the worlds greatest strictest MOT be able to tell these angles?
If You go and let your car been taking care od in the cheap eastern europa, what can You expect? Surely not more then 95%
How much tax did You save? More then 95%?
 TDV6MY07-automatic-LHD-noDPF-iidbt-ffrrMod  
Post #18229065th Jun 2017 5:59 pm
mek

How much money did I save driving north for 20 minutes from the self--service garage in Wintertur into Germany, to a garage which in contrast with Switzerland is open all day on a Saturday? About £30-£40. I additionally did a smash and grab in the supermarket and DIY store to my CHF300 limit and brimmed the diesel tank at €1.19/little

I didn't realize I needed to disclose that to you, my bad.

Post #18229195th Jun 2017 6:33 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

What has improved? I am thinking of doing mine.

Post #18229475th Jun 2017 7:18 pm
mek

Philip - It just really wanted to pull to the left before. prior to changing you could feel the ball joints of the tie rods ends were very sloppy. When I got the tie rods off the date stamps showed these were original to the car and they moved more easily than they should have. The steering feeling now is much tighter - I can accelerate only lightly touching the wheel and hard breaking is now in a straight line. I do however feel it does still head to the left, but maybe there are just lots of negative camber roads around me. When I was working on the car last w/e for the aircon condenser I grabbed old of each of the front wheels and shook them from side to side. There was some play but small by my reckoning. Certainly by comparison with before...

Andy

Post #18235287th Jun 2017 12:28 am
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks

I cant say that mine is pulling, or feels particularly loose, but I do have a wobble while braking, plus the inner rods were flagged as worn on the last MOT. So it wont do any harm to change them, and who knows, may well tighten up the front end up a bit too!

Post #18236177th Jun 2017 10:58 am
Markland

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi mek,
Could it be, that maybe your Front Hubs are worn differently, or your Park brake drums are Not adjusted properly?and one is not completely releasing?

You could Check by touching the disk before and after a Short Drive without Opening top much. And without using the Disk braking.

A worn out hub would create more friction then a nice one and therefore create a Breaking Effect
Maybe Open the hub nuts and tighten them again to the same Nm. But to the New value, Not the much tighter Value LR was giving out at first.

Or, if You think its coming from a specific axle, interchange their tyres.

When Alignement was done just shortly befor Last Weekend, Tire pressure should have Been Checked precisely anyway. except one wheel performing with a slight puncture.

Hope You soft it out

Happy Project!
 TDV6MY07-automatic-LHD-noDPF-iidbt-ffrrMod  
Post #18240738th Jun 2017 11:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >