Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fuel Burning Heater update.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
tucker_j

England 

Thanks for the link to the manual.

I have the pre-heat/pre-cool options on my March 05 'S' but there is no mention in the handbook.

The other day I set the pre-cool for 10 mins ahead, sat in the car with everything off and suddenly (and at the preset time) all the fans started. Very Happy

Tried it many times since, nothing happens Sad

Post #2387019th Oct 2005 9:24 pm
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

On my LR Experiance day at Skipton the instructor proudly showed me the fuel burning heater and how it worked, and how brilliant they are. Then I told him it dosen't work and he should check out disco3.com for all the reasons why. Very Happy

Post #2387119th Oct 2005 9:35 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

tucker_j wrote:
Thanks for the link to the manual.

I have the pre-heat/pre-cool options on my March 05 'S' but there is no mention in the handbook.

The other day I set the pre-cool for 10 mins ahead, sat in the car with everything off and suddenly (and at the preset time) all the fans started. Very Happy

Tried it many times since, nothing happens Sad

Was the radio still on .. which is the frig to make cool / heat work
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #2387219th Oct 2005 9:59 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Need to be below 7 degrees C for it to work
 The End  
Post #2387419th Oct 2005 10:04 pm
tucker_j

England 

Nope, everything was switched off and all the LCD's had gone out.

Whenever I set the pre-cool a red light with a picture of a car and some lines flashes for a few seconds if that's any help. It's just to the left of the centre LCD (where the settings menu is displayed)

Post #2387519th Oct 2005 10:04 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

ally wrote:
check out disco3.com

Or even Disco3.co.uk Razz
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2387619th Oct 2005 10:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Guys, I can't say much at the moment, but no matter what you try, the burner will not work other than as an added heat to the main system when the temp is about 4C or lower and the engine is running. The radio trick, may work, but only for a short while and leave your car vulnerable to theives.

There is a substatial chunk of software dileberately missed out for reasons LR only know.

I have spent the whole day today (infact a very long day) with Webasto and a lot of technical geniuses, plus many months now working on this situation. I do have an answer but I cannot reveal it today as the first ideas we had did not work. We are waiting some more components and then it should all work.

I also can tell you that LR intend to install a fully programmable pre heater, but not until the 2009 model.

Please do not fire questions at me, because I cannot go beyond that yet as I will only be a guessing. Give me a few more days and I think I will have a fully working pre heater and some answers.

Post #2387719th Oct 2005 10:10 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:
The radio trick, may work, but only for a short while and leave your car vulnerable to theives.
No it won't you can lock the car and leave the radio on, nobody panic!

I suggest we all wait for Brian on this one, he's working hard on it and I'm sure he'll get results sooner or later

Tucker, 10 minutes seems to be the maximum time period in which it'll work unassisted as long as it's cold enough. Set it for anything beyond that and currently only the radio trick (which doesn't work for everyone) will do it
 The End  
Post #2387919th Oct 2005 10:16 pm
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
BN wrote:
The radio trick, may work, but only for a short while and leave your car vulnerable to theives.

I suggest we all wait for Brian on this one, he's working hard on it and I'm sure he'll get results sooner or later

Tucker, 10 minutes seems to be the maximum time period in which it'll work unassisted as long as it's cold enough. Set it for anything beyond that and currently only the radio trick (which doesn't work for everyone) will do it

Clarification, leaving the radio on is like leaving a carrot for a thieve. I did not mean the car will be stolen, but maybe broken into, but Slimer is correct about 10 mins for run time.

Post #2388019th Oct 2005 10:20 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
BN wrote:

Tucker was using pre-cool, which will work at any temp. It does work, and if you set the time short enough ahead, it will work without the radio.

Post #2390519th Oct 2005 11:12 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
Tucker was using pre-cool
Ah yes! Must read the threads properly! The End  
Post #2390619th Oct 2005 11:15 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

BN wrote:

Clarification, leaving the radio on is like leaving a carrot for a thieve. I did not mean the car will be stolen, but maybe broken into..............

Why?

Post #2391120th Oct 2005 12:42 am
BN

England 

Winger wrote:
BN wrote:

Clarification, leaving the radio on is like leaving a carrot for a thieve. I did not mean the car will be stolen, but maybe broken into..............

Why?

Because theives are attracted and the lights and noise give them a reason to look and once they realise there is no one in the car it leaves opportunity for them.

Post #2391520th Oct 2005 7:36 am
Pelyma

England 

BN wrote:
Winger wrote:
BN wrote:

Why?

Because theives are attracted and the lights and noise give them a reason to look and once they realise there is no one in the car it leaves opportunity for them.

Surely the noise is there even if the timer is working? Or do you mean the radio noise - in which case turn the volume down Wink

I have to say last winter I popped out first thing each morning to set the timer and it was great. This winter is supposed to be a hard one Very Happy so a way of pressing a button to start the heater without going outside would be great, particularly when I'm with clients!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2392720th Oct 2005 9:28 am
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
BN wrote:
Winger wrote:
BN wrote:

Why?

Surely the noise is there even if the timer is working? Or do you mean the radio noise - in which case turn the volume down Wink

I have to say last winter I popped out first thing each morning to set the timer and it was great. This winter is supposed to be a hard one Very Happy so a way of pressing a button to start the heater without going outside would be great, particularly when I'm with clients!

It is merely leaving any opportunity for thieves that worries me, especially as they lifted a 2 tonne 110 over my wall a couple of years ago.

Re the heater, the idea is a keyfob button to switch the heater on when you want from 10 minutes to as along as it will burn. Potentially the system will run for 170 minutes with the timer, but there may not be enough fuel in the tank, inner pot for more than 30 mins. That would be enough to really warm up the car. We got it up to about 27C after about 5 minutes yesterday, but it was not cold of course. Runs silently as well. I was impressed, but really did the nerves in. The timer can have the internal fan speed preset to a fairly fast run and that did wonders. Warm up took about 1 minute and then it was heat all the way.

The system fitted is capable of supplying good heat to a good sized european motorhome.

Post #2393420th Oct 2005 10:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >