DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Coolant contamination
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
quadsk8

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Coolant contamination

Hello all!
I decided to try Wimbledon Land Rover to service the disco (12 reg) this year instead of my local Guy Salmon, due to keener price and good feedback on the forums. Car went in yesterday, and they found some foamy substance in the coolant bottle, so they recommended a flush and new coolant bottle. The replacement bottle came today and they also looked at the hoses, which have some gunk coming out of them. Pictures attached, but they do not seem to know what it is...

I have not touched the coolant - last time it was serviced at GS Thames Ditton last year. Wimbledon Land Rover are advising that new hoses etc are required. Does this point to something more serious?!!! I am about to renew Warranty Direct, and was considering not bothering. This does not seem to be covered as the car is not technically broken...

There is obviously a fault, but am I just paranoid that it is manifesting now when it goes to someone other than Guy Salmon...
Lee

Post #181388511th May 2017 4:21 pm
ostosix

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi there,
There's a possibility you have a head gasket leak. That light brown mayo type paste is characteristic of oil mixing with water.

Do you see any white smoke from the exhaust? Mayo type stuff under the oil cap or on the dipstick?

Also feel those coolant pipes when the engine is fully warmed up. If they are rock hard when you squeeze them that could be compression getting through.

Theres no reason the pipe would cause that by themselves on a serviced vehicle.

This is from a website i looked up;

"If Oil Mixes with Coolant
When the oil and coolant mix together, they contaminate one another. Their purpose in either lubricating and cooling is compromised and can cause fatal destruction to the engine. To know if this condition is present, the vehicle owner should know some of the signs. Coolant with oil contamination presents as an oily film first, then a discolored texture, ending in a brown sludge. Oil with coolant contamination looks like milk chocolate on the oil dipstick, the bottom of the oil pan, the valve cover, the oil cap, or the crankcase breather."

Hope this points you in the right direction

Post #181396211th May 2017 7:41 pm
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

There was another case recently... Can't copy the urL but search 'tar/oil'.

Ingress of auto trans fluid was another thought there (it runs thru the rad). Certainly easier to fix than the head gasket.

Post #181399611th May 2017 9:04 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Quite easy is one of the water/oil coolers......
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Last edited by dgardel on 12th May 2017 8:37 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #181407312th May 2017 7:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoff.

England 

BrettKaz wrote:

Ingress of auto trans fluid was another thought there (it runs thru the rad). the head gasket.

no it doesn't D4 has a separate transmission oil cooler Thumbs Up

Post #181408112th May 2017 7:41 am
dgardel

?

Both the oil coolers works with the engine coolant...

I mean engine oil cooler (item 11 on top left engine pic).....

and gearbox cooler

Point 6 are the IN and OUT of the engine liquid coolant

IID Pro MV License

Post #181409112th May 2017 8:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
quadsk8

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

OK, just had an update - apologies for my initial post - it sounded panicky and it was probably...
They have drained the curryish sludge, changed the coolant bottle and the squishy pipe (awaiting one more pipe) and flushed the system twice. Driven it around to check temp briefly. Tank checked and clear at moment. The chap at the desk did not think it was from the engine itself or the gearbox, as the colour would be different - this was too much like baby poo... He reckons it may have been the previous owner putting something into the wrong hole....!
I am the second owner, so it is possible that it would not have been picked up on by an engineer, if the coolant had never been looked at since it left the factory.
I am picking the car up tomorrow, so I will have to watch the temp like a hawk and check the coolant bottle to see if there are nasties frothing. Hopefully an isolated issue.
I must admit that having someone clearly explain the issue is a lot more reassuring than previous main dealer service dealings!

Post #181425012th May 2017 3:30 pm
dgardel

following my experience (closer to 25 years of racing dept and workshop Big Cry I'm getting old):

- Petrol engine oil emulsion = clear cream color

- Diesel engine oil or Gearbox oil emulsion = light brown or brown color

In the past, some old engine (steel cam cover or early A class MB) produced a bit of this emulsion near the oil filler cap, due to the condensation due to temperature difference between the inside and outside of the valve cover. But it was in a small amount ...

quadsk8 wrote:

........... He reckons it may have been the previous owner putting something into the wrong hole............

I saw this happen also ......

IID Pro MV License

Post #181484014th May 2017 9:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >