Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Offroading Technique & Terrain Response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NitrOx

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Offroading Technique & Terrain Response

I'm new to wheeling and use an LR3. I have a question of when and when not to use HDC in technical sections.

1. When descending a steep technical (loose, rutted, rocky) section I normally use the following settings: low range, 1st gear, HDC on. What do you do?

2. Climbing technical sections I do: Low range, 2nd gear, HDC on. I sometimes leave the transmission on auto.

3. What Terrain Response setting do you use for our local terrain? I tend to use mud/ruts most of the time.

Looking forward to your thoughts on my questions and settings.

Last edited by NitrOx on 9th May 2017 4:17 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #18127808th May 2017 11:56 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Traction Control is on all the time and has no manual control from the driver (the electronics can adjust it).

I assume you actually mean Terrain Response (TR) setting. Without going into detail set the TR to the appropriate setting on the dial for the terrain you are in - eg Grass, Sand, Mud Rutts and Rock Crawl - noting that if all else fails use Rock Crawl as that best mimicks a "normal" 4wd.

I personally do not use HDC as I find low range 1st or 2nd gear Command Shift works as well without all the shuddering and noise but it is my choice - if nor familiar with offroad work I would definitely have it on - you can leave it on all the time when offroad but when slowing down if may kick in.

When offroad I always select low range - the car still has enough speed when in 6th gear and it is already engaged if needed.

Without knowing the specific terrain you are on your gear, tfr case and HDC settings all seem OK for steep hills. I tend to leave my gearbox in Sport mode as the box hangs on more and is more responsive and only use Command Shift for very technical stuff where I want full control over the gearbox.

As I said as far as the TR setting goes just take guidance from the settings that match the terrain. General offroad I stay with the Onroad Setting or Gravel, when it gets sloppy or mixed terrain slow terrain then as you use - Mud Rutts and really slow work or when I want all locked up - go to Rock Crawl.

Once you are fully experienced in their use - you will soon learn on what suits you best.

One other thing - when doing technical offroad stuff ALWAYS turn off DSC - it will kick in and retard your progress. Also be aware that if there are any changes to TR or switching off the DSC automatically comes on so it needs to be switched off again. Also the system work best at medium throttle settings as full on will just bring DSC back on and you get no where.

Hope this helps - you seem to be on the right track.

Garry

Post #18127859th May 2017 2:10 am
NitrOx

Hi Garry:

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I meant TR so I edited the post accordingly. Thought it sounds like I'm not too far off from optimal. Still figuring out what works best for me.

Our terrain is dry, loose over hard-pack with head-size rocks peppered all over. Kind of like the section in the pic.

Click image to enlarge

I'll turn off HDC next time I'm out. I'll have figure out how to turn off DSC.

Post #18127909th May 2017 4:33 am
garrycol

Australia 

Yep definitely Mud Rutts or Rock Crawl.

The logic of me not using HDC is mainly I do not like the noise and the shuddering as well the letting the car speed up and then rapidly slowing down but depends on what speed you have the HDC set at. However I see you have a petrol V8 so your engine breaking is not as good as my diesel so maybe HDC might be better - test it and find out what you think.

On that hill - I would be in low range in 1st command shift - the torque converter locks up so you have access to full engine braking (stay off the brakes). For my diesel, it works better than HDC but maybe different for your petrol. Note you can drive perfectly OK with HDC on as you just drive through it - it only kicks in if speed drops to its set speed (adjusted via the steering wheel controls)

The DSC switch is on the top of the centre dash above the radio - says DSC Smile . If you are doing stuff like trying to get out of sand or up a big hill and the car seems to bog down and the engine loose power it is almost always the DSC kicking in as it brakes the wheels and cuts engine power - a real pain when you need a little oomph.

Garry

Post #18127919th May 2017 4:51 am
NitrOx

Yes, 4.4L petrol engine without locking rear diff. I'll definitely try with HDC and DSC off next time. Thanks so much for the info!

Post #18127939th May 2017 5:22 am
PCT3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The HDC control is a great tool, but it's that a tool, always use going up hill if it goes wrong or you stall the engine it still brings you down safely even in neutral always there.
As for going down hill I have had it cause a slid in very very slippery conditions, so you need to practice on good easy slopes with HDC ON and 1st gear "locked auto" then try again same slope but with HDC off feel the difference decide what you prefer
As for going uphill I have a preference for useing Drive let the car sort its self out, in a manual yes use second gear.
These cars are very capable but having the base knowledge will help you forward and possibly not get stuck,

Post #181527015th May 2017 5:26 pm
PCT3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just looked at your photo
A deep V gully on a hill is a potential roll over, you should have let the other car clear the slope before descending if he rolled you couldn't avoid him or possibly stop.
Simple rule only one car at a time in an any obstacle, cars coming down hill always have right of way, opps 2 rules

Post #181527315th May 2017 5:33 pm
NitrOx

PCT3, thanks for the tips and safety reminder. We mostly keep a safe distance away from each other on technical sections.

Post #181543915th May 2017 10:48 pm
NitrOx

garrycol wrote:
Yep definitely Mud Rutts or Rock Crawl.
Garry

Understood. I kind of like having HDC on and just override it when necessary.

I'm going to try gravel/snow mode next as I think it is better in my terrain at minimizing wheel spin over Mudd/Rutts and Rock Crawl modes.

Post #181544215th May 2017 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >