Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Suspension Compressor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kamikaze

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3
Suspension Compressor?

Hi guys, hoping one of you knowledgeable fellas can point me in the right direction.

2005 disco 3, bought from an independent dealer.

When I got the car (6 months ago) it had a suspension problem, they replaced the compressor with a new compressor. They installed a Hitachi compressor so that they didnt have to update the software.

Last weekend it developed a fault, while driving the red suspension light came on and the car lowered to access mode while driving causing it to bump around all over the place. I pulled over switched her off, switched back on and raised the suspension to normal height. The front went to normal height and the back to off road height. I can drive this way until again 3-4 minutes later the red light comes on and car drops back down to access height.

When I leave the car parked it either sits in access height (possibly lower? - right on tyres) or with the front normal and the back in off road height depending on how she ended up the night before.

I took her to an independent garage as the Land Rover one is over an hours drive away (South of Spain) and after explaining the problem and them looking at the car they have said it can only be the suspension compressor and it costs around €850 or £700 just for the part. I asked them to confirm if the part is AMK compressor or Hitachi compressor and she told me Land Rover have told her that they do not know the part until they take it out of the box, its just marked as Land Rover. She said I may or may not need the software update and they can't tell until its installed.

So I guess I am looking for some help, does it sound like the compressor? Is that right after only 6 months? Should I just limp it all the way to the Land Rover garage? Can the software be reset rather than replacing the compressor at this stage?

I read through the other posts, I couldn't find anything exactly the same but everything points to it being the compressor and I should get an AMK one with the software upgrade. Is this the best thing to do?

If you need anymore info then please let me know, I am pretty stuck at what to do now.

Post #18107633rd May 2017 3:06 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Get the codes read and post them on here so someone can give you a better idea of what is going on. Could be something other than a compressor fault eg valve block, ride height sensor etc
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #18107823rd May 2017 3:48 pm
Kamikaze

Thanks DrRob,

I did suspect this would be what I needed.

I have tried to get them to check the diagnostics at 2 independent garages but neither of them would do this and and with the translation it was impossible to get them to do this. They both wanted to lift the car and look instead.

I will try a few more garages and hopefully one will do this, otherwise I will need to make the drive on bump stops for the 60 miles to get to the Land Rover dealer and get them to find me the code.

Post #18108013rd May 2017 4:25 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have an IID too that should be able to read any fault codes.
Whistle

Post #18109643rd May 2017 9:09 pm
Kamikaze

Cheers Jmack.

Unfortunately I am currently in the south of Spain! But at least the sun is shining Smile

Appreciate the offer!

Post #18111124th May 2017 10:10 am
Kamikaze

Just to update and hopefully some help to someone else.

To do the journey I decided to raise the car up at startup and then remove the fuses. I chose fuse 26 in the engine compartment and the car rode fine. Suspension didn't drop to bump stops and easily made the 100km journey. So if anyone has a problem with the car going to bump stops just raise it and remove the fuse!

So the problem. Land Rover came up with fault code C1A0392 and C1A0492. These apparently related to both front height adjusters. They are currently changing these over so fingers crossed this solves the problem and I can get her home Smile

Post #181413012th May 2017 11:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >