DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

P0046 -ESF but No smoke,new pipes an d blanked egr's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
timmyt79

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
P0046 -ESF but No smoke,new pipes an d blanked egr's

Hi
So still trying to get to bottoem of my esf limp mode issues on 2005 tdv6.
ONLY error code according to iid tool is P0046 which as im sure you know relates to boost control solenoid.
So far i have blanked egr's,replaced the two larger intercooler hoses and secured with Mikalor clamps and lubricated the actuator arm along with cleaning the MAP and MAF sensors.Also replaced lpfp.

Notes~Bottom of intercooler hoses were covered in oil both sides,seems to be a few dents in intercooler face and i pulled a 'stick' from between fins.Pulled connector from MAF sensor and it seemed to make no difference.Map gets to around 180/90 kpa whilst accelerating but no more really.
Maf is registering about 17gs at idle (from memory)

So do i just go ahead and takle the job of replacing turbo (body on and on driveway) or throw more money replacing MAF sensor and getting a new intercooler (RS500) and seeing if this resolves.Think Map sensor is ok?Is all that oil a sign of blown turbo seal along with maybe cracked intercooler?

Whats the general thinking that if you only have the ONE code p0046 and nothing else then it IS or IS NOT likely to be the turbo and should look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,guess i just need a little reassurance before i go spending alot of money!

Post #18101111st May 2017 8:45 pm
dreynolds10

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

A "little" Oil at the bottom of the intercooler pipe is normal. I had the same worry when I replaced mine but apparently it's ok as long as it's not excessive.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your issues but sounds like you have checked the majority of the easy issues. Before you do spend more money though have you also checked the small pipe from the charger that goes into the metal charge pipe before the intercooler?

Just a thought Question
 Disco3 project  
Post #18101231st May 2017 9:03 pm
timmyt79

I did take a look at that one and although intially it was very dirty after a clean up i couldnt see any noticable splits but as im sure you know that little one is notorious for being hard to remove and hard to see faults with.I do have a replacemnt silicone one so i guess i shoul dget my hands in there and change it!
Im thinking intercooler next as im sure its probably blocked with all that oil?

Post #18101261st May 2017 9:08 pm
dreynolds10

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yep,it is a Censored to replace. If you are changing the IC anyway then no harm in replacing the easy large pipe first with your silicon hose then the IC and working backwards to the charger.

At least that you have covered all the basis and eliminating each component as you go.

Good luck Thumbs Up
 Disco3 project  
Post #18101281st May 2017 9:13 pm
timmyt79

lol im guessing you have been there then!?
awaiting to hear back from a member on here ref RS500 intercooler and if all goes ahead ill swap out the small one at same time,along with chucking some cleaner down there!

Post #18101361st May 2017 9:20 pm
timmyt79

Little update...
After taking up way too much of Pete @BAS' time online yesterday (thanks once again!) He has me believing that the P0046-00 (38) code is actually very likely to be electrically related.
So could be wiring to actuator or maybe maf and/or map sensor? (Although I don't get any codes relating to them)
I have ordered a new inter cooler anyway,and am currently 'trying' to check wiring to solenoid.
Has anyone experienced this specific code before ?

Post #18114595th May 2017 8:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >