Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rolled the D2, so now a D3 or Prado ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Scott,

Thank god your missus was okay..after doing a somersault I must commend her for being on her feet after that.
I was in a near similiar situation about 2 weeks ago but at about 80kays, the road was dry and I was in D3. I swerved into the next lane through instinct and urgency and the D3 just responded with a little tyre chirp...it was instant response and little tyre roll. On the way home after that all I couid think of was how fortunate I was in not rolling the vehicle. If I was in another 4WD other that a D3 the vehicle would have rolled such was the severity of the swerve.
The D3 with it's 4 wheel independent suspension is peerless in 4WD road holding (..as I found out). The others have said was I think about the D3 and I think you will doing yourself a disservice I you do not take the D3 for a test drive.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #22325111th Nov 2007 9:36 pm
sbarnham

Australia 

All,

Thanks for the concern and advice so far, I really appreciate it.

We took the Prado (manual D4D GXL) and D3 (auto TDV6 SE) for a test drive on Saturday. We found:

- Prado and Disco fitted 3 child seats. Suprised the Prado did.
- Both had grunty engines, significant improvement over the D2.
- Prado was more 'truck-like' in terms of suspension and manual gear box than my old D2. Harsh, stiff ride.
- D3 is plush to drive, very impressive. Very comfortable suspension and whisper quiet.
- Auto in the D3 was smooth, but annoying to drive, since I am such a manual person.
- Squeeled the tyres on the D3 cornering on the test-drive ... sales guy looked worried. (my other car is a BMW 3-series)
- Headrests push head forward in D3, Prado seats are more comfortable. Maybe a motor trimmer can fix D3 headrest ?
- No lumbar on passenger front seat in D3 ... what the ?
- Prado is excellent value for money

I have found a manual D3 in Melbourne, so think I will go for a drive to test that.

Need to take a D3 for a longer drive to give the auto a chance to grow on me, and for the seats to prove their comfort.

Hard decision.

Interestingly the D3 in the UK has 5 models, all except HSE has manual STANDARD with $ upgrade to auto! What is it with LRA Product Manager's decisions ??? Or is it saying something about how Australia is becoming more like the USA?

Questions:

A: Anyone taken a coil-sprung 'S' D3 offroad much ? How do they compare to a D2 and an air-D3 ?
Worried about lack of travel and clearance on an independant car, without the cross-linked air thingy.

B: What do others find with the headrest and general seat comfort ?

Bye,
Scott

Post #22328411th Nov 2007 11:20 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I looked at the Prado, smaller than the D3, about the same as the old disco.
It is cheaper but check what you are getting.

Try to get a longer test drive with the D3. Fiddle with the drivers seat as you move the seat up and down it actually tilts the whole seat then you can adjust the back. Some have adapted the head rest. you will find a post here somewhere.
Off road the air suspension is the mutts nuts. opposite wheel is pushed down to look for the ground, you don't get this on the coiler. The coiler is good but I found it a bit scittish on gravel and some have put bigger springs on. Check how the prado goes on gravel. (The Pajero also has independent coils and works well.)
The best thing to do is borrow one overnight of each from the sydney dealers and drive home via some dirt. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22330612th Nov 2007 12:13 am
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My previous truck was 2000 manual diesel Prado GXL which served me well till I swapped it for the D3. I initially had problems with the forward canting D3 headrests until I modified my upright sytle of seating to one that has more backward lean. This way with the seat back canted back you will find the headrest doesn't "push" your head forward. For my 72 kg frame, I find the D3 seats hard, I am seating on it rather than "in" it. On inter-city and hour plus trips I find the seats comfortable and I am not as tired at trip's end.

My D3 spends most of it's time in city traffic, the auto box is a better match.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #22331112th Nov 2007 12:55 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

sbarnham wrote:

B: What do others find with the headrest and general seat comfort ?

Bye,
Scott

Hi Scott, The headrest was my only concern when I purchased my D3, so much so that I made it a condition of the contract that I would be comfortable in it after a couple of days before I settled - if not then the deal was off. The headrest seems to lean too far forward for my 183cm frame and thus caused my head to rest on it creating a pressure point instantly and then headaches followed. I asked LR dealer to "adjust" the headrest back and they claim to have moved it by 5mm (??) I noticed a vague difference when I got it back but I changed my seating position as others have mentioned and the problem dissapeared. 2 years on and no problems even with a recent 13hr trip up the coast. I'm glad that that little issue didn't stop me from buying this briliant car.
Good luck... Thumbs Up
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #22360312th Nov 2007 10:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Furymax

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Scott,

Alot of good points have been made in this thread. I too was faced with the same decision you are facing now. After considering all the options I decided on the D3.

Without covering all that has been spoken about so far - I notice you mention value for money as a positive for the Prado. I had the same thought but.... think about re-sale for a moment (I'm not sure how long you are planning to keep your car but I change mine about every 4 years). The current shape of Prado has been out for a long time - even then it is only slightly changed from the original. It is very nearly due for a new model. As soon as a new model is released the value of the existing model will fall considerably.

These type of cars operate on an average of an 8 year cycle.

The D3 is a new (2 years) model and will take this form for a minimum of 5 more years.

Obviously not the most important consideration but the only one not really discussed yet. Something else to think about anyway.

Good luck with your choice !!
FURY

Post #22442015th Nov 2007 12:56 pm
White Disco

Australia 

Scott, I had concerns with the headrest/ seating position but found the concerns slipping away once I set the seat up properly.
I drive Melbourne to Sydney & return prob. 5 times a year & each time I wonder at the comfort the D3 provides on such a long trip. After 9 hours behind the wheel I get out of the car feeling like I have driven no further than Melbourne to Seymour (1 hour drive). Thumbs Up
After owning a 7 series BMW, and thinking that was the ducks nuts, I have since found the duck with the 7 series was castrated in comparison to the D3, The best car I have owned.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #22453615th Nov 2007 9:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A few months ago I was looking around for a replacement for the P38 RR I was driving at the time. It had to be at least as large inside, as comfortable on the run, and younger (years and miles). In a matter of weeks I drove just about every 4x4 & people carrier on the market in the UK. FFRR was more expensive, but not as large inside, RRS was again more expensive, and far smaller inside.
The D3 won by a long margin apart from on price over just about everything out there.
It is far larger inside than a D2, and as others have said is "car like" in its comfort on tarmac. Off road, even fully loaded (see my gallery for picture of loaded) its simply a long way ahead of anything else I've driven on tyres..... Autobox is very good, but I ended up with a manual because that what was in the D3 that came up at the right time and price.
Bonus that I didn't expect is that a diesel D3 is cheaper to run in terms of fuel that the P38 was on gas Very Happy
So, is it a contest? No its a whooooooping on all fronts but price.

Rob

Post #22509317th Nov 2007 11:36 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Guys,
Have you made a decision yet?

I have a D3 model S TDV6 manual (with coils). If you are interested in taking it "for a drive" I could bring it to the BM this w/e.

Let me know.
Peter

Post #22846027th Nov 2007 3:53 am
sbarnham

Australia 

Bushwanderer wrote:

I have a D3 model S TDV6 manual (with coils). If you are interested in taking it "for a drive" I could bring it to the BM this w/e.

Wow, that is a generous offer. Would really appreciate that. We can come your way if easier. I sent you a PM

Post #22875727th Nov 2007 11:37 pm
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you still have not decided

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=STt7DmJeeVc&feature=related

Then watch this one.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zbq9AOvBU&feature=related

Q.E.D.

(Taken from the General forum "Discovery at its best")
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #23402714th Dec 2007 12:19 pm
sbarnham

Australia 

Yes, we picked up a 2005 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue for a great price last weekend. Did a day offroad on Wednesday and done a few hundred km on blacktop. Loving it. Ended up with an auto as after driving the manual, decided it was not worth the 4 months or the pricetag for a factory S with air and 7 seats in a manual. I am missing the manual, but am enjoying the fruit on the HSE!
 New MY15 TDv6 D4 in Buckingham Blue

Previously 2005 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue
- LR Steel Bar & Lights, Cooper STT 245/70R17 on LR 17", ContiCrossContact UHP 255/60R18 on LR 18", Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, GME 3440 UHF, FrontRunner Roofrack.

Previously 1999 TD5 in Blenheim Silver 

Post #23424714th Dec 2007 9:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >