A requirement To have hazards or tail lights visible &
reflectors with boot / tail gate open ?

I guess someone will look at the regs to check

Would have been interested to have heard the selling job.🤔

Post #180818926th Apr 2017 5:49 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
It's not that bad! Quite comfortable actually!

Fortunately, I don't have to lever myself that far off the group to reach the lower tailgate on the D4 and I can easily clear the fixed tow bar without hurting ankles or getting muck and grease on the backs of trousers. Family can sit on the lower tailgate without having to squeeze into the restrictive door aperture either.

Apart from that, it's still a useful improvement over a lot of other ordinary estate cars Thumbs Up

Last edited by Red Merle on 29th Apr 2017 2:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #180906428th Apr 2017 7:30 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 
Re: Versatile.

Bullova06 wrote:
My D3 split tailgate vehicle followed a D2 swing away door...which could be heavy to open for the missus.....blew shut in a wind.
If you've ever changed a wheel from a D2 lifting on & off is a heave - so a system that put the spare at a place where minimum up - down lfting reduced to me a real benefit.
The upper & lower door isn't just LR FFRR it's on quite a few other makes - but always been a feature of FFRR.
Using it.
Open top reach through goods in - out
Open both you have a substantial load platform that can rest the large shape goods capable of being put in or taken out. Being able to get to either side means a two of more person left is entirely possible - to me very important and used a lot.
The split tailgate It goes with the large rectangular load space, that is a massive feature if a D3 - why owners buy & have them.
The combination tailgate allow long loads (timber etc) to sit on the closed lower partly open (top but tied down) soemething I use ever other day almost.
The closed lower gate stops goods that have shifted in transit rolling out as they would if it were a one piece affair.
Other duties for the larger lower gate are:
that say bags or cases can be pulled 1/2 way out but not completely out to get to things at the back of the load space. I often use this saves lots of completely in out lifting.
It's a really good sitting area under the top gate, lower gate open on its own an access to the roof of vehicle as a viewing platform that is a few people on top strong - not possible on D5.
Working on the car - a tool platform that can be there with top door down - useful in bad weather say on fixed halt the passengers in side not exposed to inclement weather.

Are some of the ways I see it - it goes with & is part of a utility function - it's not style.

Many others may not use it this or other ways but not being there at all means a massive loss of versatility for a gain that can't be identified other than it looks different, the D5 one piece isn't coupled to the seven seats. Which is another discussion entirely.

This feature is there for the product life of this vehicle it can't be facelifted out. Versatile means multi use.
On a multi use utility vehicle an essential part I use every day.
So in my quest for a D3 replacement a big big factor.
Maybe hopefully the Defender replacement will provide.

It's also a very useful platform to carry out dog maintenance tasks too (it a 3 sided, adjustable height, dog table!)

On the plus side, as the tailgate is now a single plastic moulding, it's likely to be a good deal lighter, quicker, easier and cheaper to manufacture and assemble and more maintenance free. It might even help its insurance grouping if it's equally relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Post #180907828th Apr 2017 8:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >