Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Nav TV Stuff For Disco3/RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
woodman438

Nav TV Stuff For Disco3/RRS

just to let you know that i have the NavTV stuff for a video input on the touchscreen and seperate MOST input for audio

it was as described in previous posts but if anyone wants to know anything specific then please let me know

i have a small problem with it at the minute to do with digitial audio sync on the MOST bus but am hoping the infotainment update going into my car this week will solve that
 D3 JB/B V6 HSE + DVD and NAVtv addon, Steps, Tints, PTI
DVD Modified for front screen display, retro gaming unit added and Road Angel installed. Kahn RSC2-22 wheels 

Post #2350117th Oct 2005 9:38 pm
grommet

United States 

woodman, I'd love some details about what all the bits really do. As much as you have. They haven't been very open about what they supply around here. (Probably trying to limit the do-it-yourself crowd, like me, and protect their custom installer market.)

Also, where are you getting the infotainment update?

Post #2352818th Oct 2005 1:59 am
woodman438

well i must admit i have learnt alot about this stuff in the past few weeks and the NavTV stuff has confirmed most of it to be true!

In the pack you get a MOST adaptor terminated in 2 phono sockets for L/R Audio input and a Can Bus box that fools the car into thinking there is a TV tuner connected. You also get an adaptor to plug the video input into the screen. Naturally they also supply the required cables, fibre optics, etc...

Now - the interesting bit! I was under the impression that the BCU needed to be reprogrammed to enable TV (like in a Audi/VW) - but i dont think this is the case. It operates like the BMW system, each CAN device has an ID (the tv tuner/RSE is 25 i think) and when present the relevant systems communicate with it (ie the touchscreen) and the menus appear!

Therefore, if you could get a std TV tuner box (as in a RR) you could connect this to the Disco3 and make it work!! You need to put it in the CAN network and terminate the bus with a resistor but thats easy. You will need to put it in the MOST loop too using fibre optics but thats easier that it sounds.

The downside to the factory stuff though is that no picture whilst moving where as the NAV TV stuff does work (when the car is in Drive and not reverse!) Although the NAV TV stuff is not a TV tuner only an input - but to be honest after market tuners are cheap as now... i may even look into Freeview as the glass roof allows for good reception!!

Next project..... getting the Nokia factory carkit box to talk to the CAN network so the phone menu appears on the screen like in a RR....... any input welcome!

Apologies again, if i get to techy!

W
DVD Modified for front screen display, retro gaming unit added and Road Angel installed. Kahn RSC2-22 wheels 

Post #2376218th Oct 2005 9:49 pm
grommet

United States 

woodman, I'd love to see pictures of how the GUI behaves. Did you snap some pictures?

So, to select the new audio inputs, you do what? Press "TV" on the Touchscreen? Does it display one of the rear video inputs and switch the radio to the play the audio input you added? Is there a bunch of non-working GUI stuff on the screen, since it thinks there is a "tuner" now? Does it enable use of one of the other rear video inputs for a rear view camera, like RR?

I assume there isn't a lot of detailed documentation, eh?

Nope, not getting too technical... just a little scattered. Very Happy

I wonder if it would be possible to wedge on the parts from the Range Rover Sport Rear Seat Entertainment system... the RSE module, DVD changer & A/V inputs... and have it function like it does with the RRS (with controls from the touchscreen)... I guess that would be too much. Smile And there probably isn't room for it.

I wish you luck trying to get the PTI working like the RR. I'm guessing there will be some issues, since there are already some phone controls on the stereo head unit unlike the RR. Very Happy

Post #2380619th Oct 2005 2:33 am
woodman438

ill snap some pictures for you tomorrow, i have just had my software updated (infortainment thing) and i have a little issue with it but have a good relationship with NAVtv so will post full results once i know the facts rather than speculate now.

It does operate like a tv tuner, the only buttons that work are the format stuff and the first 2 tv channels which act as short cuts to switch between NTSV and PAL

To answer your questions, i am sure that you can plug anything in you like, the canbus using an address type system, if its present on the bus then you are laughing from what i can make out! THere is loads of room in a disco 3!!

Anyone got a Range rover with MOST? I would like to try some stuff out!

I think the phone system is on the canbus but uses a different address, if you can change it to the address that the screen is looking for I think it may come up on the screen! - still investigatin this one though!

Ill keep you posted

Post #2446222nd Oct 2005 8:17 pm
grommet

United States 

Yes, keep us informed... Thanks.

So you think the RSES UI is also fully there and just not active, eh? Too bad I can't borrow a RRS RSES module and 6-disc DVD changer from a RRS. I'd love to see if it could work... it's far more elegant than the dealer install DVD or 3rd party stuff we can use now. (And it has a very nice control UI and 2 additional A/V inputs, without any hacks.)

Post #2448323rd Oct 2005 1:42 am
woodman438

The NavTV pack works fine (i had a faulty MOST module but that was swapped straight away with no problem)

You must have the software update too by LR for the Infotainment otherwise some wired stuff happens, but the dealer did that and all is well.

I also have DVBTV installed too (a NECVOX unit) so i now have Digital Freeview TV and am amazed at how good the reception is!

All in all... very happy! And so is my 3 yr old cause I can now get CBeebies in the car!

Balamory here we come....!!! (in joke for those in the UK with kids!!!)

Post #2527629th Oct 2005 5:30 pm
grommet

United States 

woodman, you ever get some pics you can share? Also, my question about reverse camera?

Post #258912nd Nov 2005 8:06 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Woodman, I'm really interested in adding this kit to my car. I'm sorry if you've already posted some of this info, but I have looked back and I can't find it. Can you please tell me where you bought the NAV-TV equipment from? Thanks
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #264276th Nov 2005 10:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

http://www.nav-tv.co.uk/

Post #264716th Nov 2005 4:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >