Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

1000 miles in and off to "the dark side"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
neilk

England 
1000 miles in and off to "the dark side"

I thought I should sign off with my thoughts, I don’t really subscribe to the silliness that has gone one (but taking the mick is more than fine) and as I have said before I consider the D4 and D3 as potential design classics and will probably go down as one of my favourite cars when I am old(er) and dribbling. I understand that I am unlikely to call my new baby ugly, and accept that on the ownership continuum of manliness I am closer to the Victoria Beckham end of the scale than Bear Grylls, as my primary use is a car that I know can do a lot more that I ever will. I also accept that one of my motivations is change because I like it and I am a sucker for the new shiny thing (rather than needing to feed an ego or some other fashion related desire or to “Brag”). Two D4’s since 2009 is the longest ever I had had the “same” car, and I looked at the video of my old one after it had been prepped for sale that the dealer posted and thought that looks stunning.

Anyway enough sucking up to the crowd, what have I found.

The step up in refinement is really striking, road noise, ride, wind noise and the general driving experience is a huge step forward. My colleague has a FFRR, and he drove mine and thought it was at least as refined as his if not slightly better.

Much has been said of the engine and performance (Mine is the V6 Diesel). This is the fourth iteration of this engine I have had (starting with the 2.7 in a RR Sport), and two 3.0’s in my D4’s. Each combination of engine and gearbox has got incrementally better. I can see how some have felt the performance to be not as significantly improved as they may have expected, as the perception of torque and acceleration does seem lower, but much of this is down to the increased refinement of the drivetrain. I certainly found myself creeping up to license endangering speeds in a long journey at the weekend that would have been more evident in my D4. I have not felt lacking in performance but it is definitely not a huge step up either. One that that is much improved though is the hesitancy from a standing start that was a feature of my MY14 D4. Not enough real world miles yet to compare economy as it is barely run in.

I will stay away from the styling as that is entirely subjective, but I do think the Firenze and Dynamic pack works, and even makes the most of the rear with the black number plate panel. I have had no crying babies, or induced vomiting, and not once has anyone said to me “Your new Kia/Hyundia/Ford Explorer is quite nice/ugly/jelly mould like”. Marmite it is but for me I am happy.

I have been surprised by the foldable plank, I was not at all convinced by it and thought it was a half baked attempt to appease the devotees. I have actually found it useful as a platform for tools, and it makes is easier to access the load area than the D4. I have avoided head injuries on the tailgate so far, and have not had problems with the clearance, but I have got into the habit of parking nose first when I would normally have reversed into a space. One other advantage of the tailgate is you do not get that stream of water rolling down your neck from the upper section of the tailgate. The curved larger section takes the rain away from you. The “gesture” feature is however a complete gimmick and even if you take the effort to learn the “knack” it is still way too much effort.

The infotainment/apps/nav are a real step forward but certainly are not fully polished. The Germans are way ahead on this (and have been for some time). At times the UI is over designed and Icons and active touch areas are too small. Muscle memory will improve this, and I hope updates will continue, but in too many places it is simply not intuitive or requires too many touches to do what you want. You also see the joins between what look like three development teams (the Remote App, Navigation and the Connected Apps) with some duplicate capabilities and more than one account you need to register. The upside though is the additional capabilities are excellent, once you get used to the UI itself and aside from one “freeze” when I was deep into playing and setup it has been flawless and responsive. All told it takes more effort that it should to learn and setup but as a set of capabilities it is really good. I also suspect some of my issues would be addressed by the customisable shortcut capability that I haven’t dipped into. The mapping, live searching, sat imagery in the navigation, live traffic are all excellent additions. I also find the native speed camera capability to work really well. Even the wildly varying ETA calculations are better than before. As a geek I love it, but if you are a technophobe then you may want to wait until 2 or three new versions of the software are delivered.

It does have lots of nice touches, and things that are both useful and cool (I love the auto main beam and the lights) but then I am stepping up from Halogens on my D4 that were dreadful.

On the Row 2 issue, again I will stay clear other than my kids have been more than happy, even if the panoramic roof is only really good for the third row passengers, it certainly doesn’t give the interior the same airy feel as it does in an RR Sport or Evoque, it is not bad just not as striking as it is on those cars. The ability to configure the seats from the loadspace has proven useful (I didn’t think it would), and the load cover stowage is more elegant and easier to use (even if it is a lot more flimsy).

I do find it “big” in the sense that I am not yet confident of the corners and ends of it yet, even with the cameras and sensors. Maybe I am over protective, and was just used to the D4 but the modest increase in size does seem to feel more. The rear doors are bigger but in car parks so far the kids have found it easier to get in and out (and they know to wait and get help if it looks like space is tight) as the shaping seems to clear adjacent cars more effectively. No science, but it is definitely not significantly worse.

On balance I absolutely love it, I am very happy. I also understand that for many the compromises will be a step to far and the styling “too challenging, especially at the rear” but I really don’t think this will be a Lemon or an Edsel as some have suggested even if it is not for you. I do hope if that is the case the Defender will tick that box as I agree LR run the risk of leaving too many people behind when they don’t need to (I myself would have probably gone to a RR Sport if this had not arrived now).

Whatever your choice enjoy it, and if your choice is to hang on to your current one then I think that is a very wise choice, as few of us really need a new one. Feel free to take the mick, or even point out you have spotted me (even if it is in Slough).

I am off to the dark side now where we all sing incantations of LR press releases, and find ways to pretend our backsides aren't ugly. Thumbs Up

Post #179458021st Mar 2017 9:29 pm
nrich

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Very good write up lets hope the luddites don't show up and shoot you down.

Post #179461721st Mar 2017 10:52 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Interesting review, thanks Thumbs Up

Although the Title did make me wonder if it was 1000 miles into D5 and off to FFRR or similar 🤔 Very Happy
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #179461921st Mar 2017 10:54 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good write up Thumbs Up Don't forget the garlic and stake for the Dark Side. Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Last edited by Moo on 22nd Mar 2017 7:23 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #179463821st Mar 2017 11:42 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Good review. Thumbs Up

I saw one today, parked up at the Gloucester services on the M5. It was green without privacy glass and looked great. First time I've seen a green one, in photos or real life. Although it might take me sometime to get used to the rear end styling and I can't help but think that it could have been done better. It doesn't really bother me though.

I guess I am a bit of a Luddite and today I bought another D4 Landmark, but I'll not discount getting a D5 in the future.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #179464021st Mar 2017 11:51 pm
J77

Scotland 

Good review

Hopefully pick my SE up on Saturday, I think I'm the first on D5 forum to take delivery of one.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #179466822nd Mar 2017 6:50 am
IOM man

Isle Of Man 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The look of the D5 is starting to grow on me just like the D3 did, when I first saw a D3 I thought it looked like a Ford Transit Connect Van but I now own both a D3 and D4 Thumbs Up

I will give it a couple of years for LR to iron out any initial niggles with the D5 and will probably end up with one at some point
 Current:
2010 Discovery 4 HSE TDV6
2020 Audi Q2 TSFI 40 Aline Quattro Black Edition
2006 Audi RS4 4.2 V8 - Toy in the garage Smile

Gone but not forgotten:

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV6
2018 Lexus NX 300 F Sport Hybrid
2005 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6
2015 Discovery HSE Lux
200 Discovery TDI
300 Discovery TDI
Land Rover 90 2.5 Diesel
Series III SWB Land Rover 2.25 diesel
TD4 Freelander Kalahari
1.8 petrol Freelander 

Post #179467122nd Mar 2017 7:04 am
Ken

As I have both (OK current D5 a LTL) what I can and will say is stop comparing it to a L405 because its not a Range Rover

The L405 is a way better drive and ride However the D5 eclipse's the L405 in Tech and modern looks

The D5 externally is as Big (Visually) as the L405

Im trying the 2.0d in the D5 not because I'll ever choose one but because If I say no I want a valid reason to say so

For the Nay Sayers who say the 2.0d is crap I can say in truth you have no idea what your on about its fine it is in the real world as quick as the outgoing model it will never set the world alight but that's not the point is it ? Cleary if your towing a large lump then you'll require the 3.0 but plenty of owners don't and that's the target audience

I have tested the D5 off road properly and its as good if not better than the outgoing model

Enough said Thumbs Up

Post #179467222nd Mar 2017 7:10 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Looks like the chap over the road has just picked up his Black D5. Spent half an hour looking at it through the office window and to be honest, it's a good looker. I don't particularly like the acres of silver plastic, but that's all.

I really like the rear lights! For some reason the shiny finish and black background look very classy.

Post #179467322nd Mar 2017 7:11 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I said in another thread recently, even the most avid D5 hater will own on in years to come.

Post #179467822nd Mar 2017 7:39 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I will certainly not be buying one.

However, I am really pleased those that have them are enjoying them Thumbs Up
 Andy

Post #179468422nd Mar 2017 8:03 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

Great write-up Thumbs Up

I was down in The Mumbles at the weekend and one was parked on the front, sort of a dark green one and gorgeous almond leather - looked the business! Even the rear end is growing on me Laughing

2 years time who knows! Waiting to see what the new defender will be like first Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #179468622nd Mar 2017 8:09 am
Bello35

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I'm not a D5 hater...and i won't be buying it! I'm just very disappointed...

I don't recall reading a single post where someone said they hated the D5. Confused

So, for those who bought it; enjoy!!! Thumbs Up

But please, don't forget to repport all the issues and improvements that could be made, so who knows, LR could improve the next "batch" Whistle ...and bring back some lost costumers. Very Happy

Post #179468722nd Mar 2017 8:11 am
Heath_DA

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Good review, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

One question, which has been niggling me, is this new vehicle actually badged ‘Discovery 5’ anywhere?
The previous 3 & 4 models both stated it on the rear tailgate.
The ‘all new discovery’ appears to have dropped this connection with the previous generations.
What makes this the ‘D5’ over the ‘discovery sport’ model ?
 2016 D4 SDV6 Landmark (Gone)
2013 D4 SDV6 HSE Lux (Gone)
2011 D4 SDV6 HSE (Gone)
2008 D3 HSE (Gone)
2005 D3 HSE (Gone) 

Post #179469522nd Mar 2017 8:38 am
Ken

Nothing states Discovery 5 just oversized DISCOVERY front and rear Thumbs Up

Post #179469722nd Mar 2017 8:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: