DISCO3.CO.UK > General

HDC / DSC / Battery Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
markwalsham

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
HDC / DSC / Battery Issues

Hey everyone,

Just fresh from having the torque converter done on my D3, and I am now experiencing a problem, which I think is battery related, but wanted to check here first, with all the excellent knowledge available!

Problem
Especially from cold start (after pre-heat has finished), I turn the key, the starter kicks in, and immediately upon the engine starting, I get "All Special Programmes OFF" and "DSC Fault" messages in the LCD display, along with the amber lights in the binnacle.

Secondary problem was that my wife reported that the parking brake symbol came on a couple of times on a trip on Sunday, whilst driving!! Never seen that before, very strange.

Testing
First thing I did was get the multimeter out, and checked the voltage of the battery with everything turned off with the car being off overnight. This read 12.6v, which initially seems OK. When I started the car, and watched the voltage (being supplied by the alternator) it gradually rose to over 15v.

I turned on lights, radio, heated seats and the voltage never dropped below 13.6v.

When I turned off the engine, I noticed the voltage dropped as low as 9.8v!!!

Conclusion?

First off, I think the Alternator seems OK, as it kicked out a fairly constant 15v under light load, and over 13.5v under high load.

Secondly, the battery exhibiting a much lower than 12.6v when stopping I find strange, and could indicate that the battery is not charging properly.

Finally, could these low voltages (especially the cranking voltage) also explain the other HDC/DSC errors, which other threads seem to suggest it could.

The only thing that I am confused about is the parking brake warning light coming on during driving - I have personally never experienced that, and I do not know if this is battery/power related or not.

Lastly, the central screen/sat nav rebooted itself at the same time as the parking brake light warning - sounds again power related to me.

Any help, guidance or info would as usual, be much appreciated.

Hit 200,000 this week Very Happy

Thanks, Mark.
 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES Auto 

Post #177868714th Feb 2017 6:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Charge the battery with a Ctek or similar, you might get lucky.
A simple search of the forum will tell you, as you suspect, your battery is on it's way out.
9.8v is paggered tbh. Big Cry
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #177871514th Feb 2017 7:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >