DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Weekend of disco lovin'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lord_unsub

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Weekend of disco lovin'

Evening all,

Just stepped back in to thaw out after spending the weekend rolling around under the car.

'Simply change the rear brake discs and pads' turned into a bit of a nightmare! With about 5 layers on, and snow flakes falling - yes snowflakes in Somerset! - I set about the tasks. Armed with a set of new rear discs and pads, complete with Bodsy's bible and many coffee mugs.

First issue. Need to get a better jack other than the scissor Rolling Eyes

The second being why I was doing it in the first place. Earlier in the week, I started to get a loud thumping from what felt like the prop. Suspecting the worst, I had a look under and to my surprise/relief it has had a new shaft fitted, which still looks brand new now.

Another couple of forum searches throws up brakes. Next day, I drove the 9.9miles to work, and on parking, the left rear wheel was searing hot. All others were stone cold. It's mostly country roads so bad been doing 40/55mph on the way in. Tried some more aggressive braking which then alearted me to the disc warping issue.

So stripped out the calliper, the guide sliders are fine, but the main piston wouldn't retract very well at all. Even using the rewind tool was very difficult. Managed to pump the brake pedal (very carefully) to extend the piston as far as I dared, and on pulling back the rubber seal, I could see the piston had slight surface rust on various spots all around.

I spent ages with some brake fuild soaked into a rough rag gently getting at the corrosion which eventually disappeared. Then spent another 30mins exercising the piston in and out before refitting.

Fixed for the meantime until I can get a replacement calliper. Then moved on to fixing the number 1 button on the radio that mysteriously fell off and was snapped after a valet over Christmas. Managed to fashion another pusher bit out of an old plastic ruler and glue in place. Random fix but hell it works! Thumbs Up

And last but not least the dvla finally sent my new v5 back with change of ref through, so on went the new plates!

I'm off for a beer,

Much loves

James
 So far - 4X4 Info~3 Flash Indicators~2 Video inputs~Bluetooth Music~Dr-T~Fridge~Phone Update~SatNav on the move~Clock on Dash~Black in and out~Window Tints
To Do - LED lights in and out~Black wheels (maybe 18's?)~new grille and and rear lights 

Post #177774612th Feb 2017 7:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >