Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Compressor Type
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
dabware

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Compressor Type

Hello All, I currently have the orange suspension light saying normal height only which has been traced to a compressor issue. (by me)
My question for the experts here is that I have a Discovery 3 ES early 2008 non colour coded arches how do I identify what kind of compressor I have is it obvious by the age, number of exit pipes etc?
It looks a lot like a Hitachi as it has the red and blue pipes coming out the back with the 50 pence type cover over the drier.

If its the right type I am looking to refurbish with a kit has anyone got an experience if this is delaying the pain of a total replacement?

Thanks in advance

Post #176206312th Jan 2017 11:01 am
trainmanone

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

a pic would be good but it sounds like a Hitachi/Dunlop one .

my advice is change it to the amk one ,I replaced my Hitachi one with a Dunlop one twelve months ago and it only lasted six months got refund and replaced with amk one ,been fine up till now just need a software patch doing for amk

Post #176210712th Jan 2017 12:25 pm
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Compressor Type

dabware wrote:
Hello All, I currently have the orange suspension light saying normal height only which has been traced to a compressor issue. (by me)
My question for the experts here is that I have a Discovery 3 ES early 2008 non colour coded arches how do I identify what kind of compressor I have is it obvious by the age, number of exit pipes etc?
It looks a lot like a Hitachi as it has the red and blue pipes coming out the back with the 50 pence type cover over the drier.

If its the right type I am looking to refurbish with a kit has anyone got an experience if this is delaying the pain of a total replacement?

Thanks in advance

It should be the hitachi one.
I refurbished mine 2 years ago, no issues yet...with the kits which cost 60quids you do the job which doesnt require special skills....all instructions are provided by kit sellers...

Post #176278013th Jan 2017 3:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bungle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I went through the same dilemma at Christmas. Given that the AMK is (marginally) more hassle to fit and was twice the cost, I went with the Dunlop option. Visually looks identical to the Hitachi that it replaced (that had itself lasted 16 years). Hardest part of the job was the top mounting bolt, no combination of the (many) different extensions to my socket set would work, but luckily I had a ratchet spanner that fitted. Still got the grazed knuckles to show for it!

I have the Hitachi unit in the garage, I may strip it down and see if it is repairable, but it will probably sit under the bench for a few years until I get fed up with it being in the way!

Trainmanone is the first person I have seen who has mentioned an issue with the Dunlop one, could be that they will not last as long, could be he was unlucky.

Post #176412216th Jan 2017 1:16 pm
trainmanone

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

it was the motor that packed up on mine island 4x4 refunded the cost within a few days of sending it back Thumbs Up

Post #176413016th Jan 2017 1:30 pm
dabware

Update

So its a Hitachi compressor so I opted to go for the rebuild, I have installed the kit with no problems thanks to the videos and the various documentation supplied with the kit.
I managed to destroy the collar on the 8mm pipe taking it out and Amazon saved me by getting one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VG7...&psc=1 fitted after cutting a thread into what was left.
I fitted the unit back on the car and still had the same problem so I have now ordered a delivery valve kit as the delivery valve rubber looked to be in a bit of a state.
I read on here that the bolt can be a bit of a nightmare but a socket fitted to the impact driver worked a treat and it came free without any damage
I have included a picture of the repair to broken 8mm pipe inlet if it helps anyone.

More than likely will need a new compressor but its been an adventure so far. Very Happy

Post #177765412th Feb 2017 5:30 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Compressor Type

dabware wrote:

Thanks in advance

hi

wondering have u got an iid , as that will tell u what compressor you've got

i've been down the same route as urself

did try and rebuild it but ended up buying a new dunlop compressor

fitting the new bracket was good fun, found u could fit the bolts with a rachet spanner and also an extension with a socket.

found that if the height sensors weren't set up right it messes up the off road height

for example , if the normal height is out , then put it on to off road height, as the sensors are out it will carry on showing the symbol on the display

so have to set it up correctly in normal mode first

i've had to replace the front valve

now got a leak in the air tank

so to finally sort the whole thing out i've also bought a reservoir valve, along with a new inlet , exhaust silencer, in order that i don't have to worry about it any more

cleaned the air filter out that sits in the boot cubby box

hopefully u will have success rebuilding urs, just sharing the experience i had

if u haven't got an iid , ur more than welcome to come up to me and will plug it in for u,

it won't adjust the suspension , but will read live faults

hope u get on ok ,

ps , i also ruined the end connectors on the compressor , re cut a thread , but alas it was to far gone

Post #177779512th Feb 2017 8:38 pm
dabware

Hello, I have a Foxwell NT510 it seems to read all the codes and tell me what is going on. Managed to program a new key with it which impressed me the most! (not sure if you would count this as an IID)

I also read somewhere on here that you can cut a slot in the top of the mounting plate and slide the frame under the top bolt then use the ratchet spanner to tighten it up again sounds reasonable as there shouldn't be any downwards travel due to the two bottom bolts.

Sounds like you have had some fun with the air suspension I need to get past this piece of work then turn my attention to the engine management light, the passenger side (RHD) EGR looks like it has given up.
I did the driver side one 2 years ago that was a challenge and the air was blue however reading the forums that was the easy side. There is a silver lining because I think the EuroIV can be blanked and the software modified so this is my next venture and it should like a permanent fix!

I am hoping for a period of stability (everything crossed) so I can squirrel enough cash away to get my 4x4 screen switched on in my TDV6 SE (her indoors is reluctant to release the funds saying it not mission critical which just shows her level of understanding) Thumbs Up

Post #177813013th Feb 2017 5:17 pm
gstuart

seems the suspension can be a good bit of fun

don't forget the offer is there ref the iid, so if u want me to plug mine in ur more than welcome to come up to me

i've got an euro 2 engine, still got to do my egr blanks, got them , just need to get round and fit them

along with a new set of blue silicone intercooler hoses to fit

got the extra bits, i.e. the air tank and reservoir valve, along with the inlet exhaust silencer, as i can then sort it out once and for all

ref the bracket , i took out the top insulation and put it in after

also got put a holesaw into my drill and put a hole on the top, making sure then i had a large grommet to fit, was 50mm or 2 inches

could then get a socket in there a lot easier

was pleased i got some new chassis fixing clips, old ones were rotten

gave the chassis a coat of hammerite whilst it was all out

bought some push fitting for the reservoir valve so i'm not messing around with the voss ones

they are 6mm m10 x 1 thread

was a former heating engineer and still had some leak detector in a bottle with a brush , but washing up liquid is just as good

found it easier for someone to sit in the landy , adjusting the suspension height while i used the leak detector fluid to check for leaks

will also paint the air tank with some hammerite and chassis while that is out

hope u get on ok, think with all the work i've done have learnt a considerable amount in how the suspension works

Post #177815413th Feb 2017 6:02 pm
SicilyDisco3

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hello to all.
Sorry for my broken English.
We changed the compressor on RRS with a new AMK. The cover does not fit because comp is bigger. Do you know if original cover is important or essential to protect the compr?
Having to change a new compressor also on a Disco3 do you suggest to go on Dunlop?
We also having problems on software because not it does not go down to level 1... only 2 and 3 of height.
Thank you

Post #178058019th Feb 2017 12:39 am
dabware

Hello SicilyDisco3
I would say yes the cover should protect the compressor certainly for me I wouldn't consider leaving the cover off as I live down a farm track.
I dont know enough about the compressors to be honest, don't think you can get an Hitachi any more you have to get a Dunlop.
If you have fitted an AMK on a car that used to have a Hitachi or Dunlop I believe you need a software upgrade that could be your height issue.

Well as an update I purchased a new valve to go into the top of the compressor (pencil rubber type) and after I fitted it everything was perfect. Raising lowering no problem at all I was very pleased with myself. Decided to take the car to the petrol station and fill her up with diesel as a treat and to my dismay I got the ding and orange suspension light again. I managed to get her home with no problem and I have read the codes and I am now getting a C1131-92 Permanent Air supply error. The compressor seems to run ok for a while however I hear a big hiss every now and then like a load of air being released (not constant just a one off thing) so the search for a solution continues.
Not sure if anyone has come across this issue, the compressor seems to be working a treat at the moment I think it got up to 90 psi according to the Foxwell however it was rapidly dropping as soon as the compressor switched off which makes me think there is a leak somewhere.
It also seems that the rear lifts ok but the front refuses to budge.

Post #178086219th Feb 2017 8:40 pm
gstuart

hi Dabware

the hiss is the exhaust valve opening and allowing the excess pressure out of the compressor , that is what it's supposed to do

if it starts dropping after that u have a leak somewhere , it u knew that already, lol

get some soapy water

try all round the compressor and air tank, reservoir valve first

have u pulled out the fuse f26 over night to see what it does

will it go into access , normal and off road height

u may have to get a new compressor , i did try and rebuild mine but was too far gone, i also done the same as u in cutting threads , but to no avail

i've got an iid and happy to plug it in foc for u , or if ur pulling ur hair out and more than happy to help a fellow member , two heads better than one

maybe we should start a suspension workshop in kent, meet every month to help each other resolve the suspension errors , all novices together, Rolling with laughter

hope that may help a little bit

gary

Post #178110120th Feb 2017 11:32 am
SicilyDisco3

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hello everybody,
do you know if I can buy a cover (like the original) for the new AMK on a RRS 2005?
I mounted it and it works but is bigger than the old Hitachi and cover does not fit.
I am worried that comp will get too much dust and dirt.
Grazie to all for help.
Giacomo

Post #178111820th Feb 2017 12:04 pm
gstuart

had a look on ebay and there's some on there

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=amk...p;_sacat=0

wonder if looking on ebay relevant to ur country may also show some for sale Thumbs Up

Post #178114620th Feb 2017 12:51 pm
dabware

Hey Gary
So my current thinking is that there could be an issue somewhere down the line, the compressor seems to work ok and if it dumping excess air via the hiss then I am confused as to why this is if the suspension is not raising. There looks to be a pressure sensor on the central junction so not sure what that is monitoring although it does look to be before the air tank so I wonder if there could be a problem in this area and its not filling the tank.
I have attached a diagram that I recovered from one of the online Landrover manuals that seems to explain how things work quite well..

SicilyDisco3

You could try Advanced Factors, they do an AMK kit which looks to have the covers as well.
I believe they can do international shipping too.
http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/air-suspension-203-c.asp

Post #178116420th Feb 2017 1:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >