Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Land Rover Experience West Country Trec Days
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Land Rover Experience West Country Trec Days

Just received an email from West Country Land Rover Experience about their 2017 Trec Days and thought it might be of interest Thumbs Up

Join us on a Trec Day this year and drive your own vehicle off road.

This is your chance to release your vehicle's capabilities among some of the most spectacular areas in East Devon & Exmoor.

Hosted by Land Rover Experience West Country's expert instructors, these adventure days have been developed to enable individuals and their families to drive their own four wheel drive vehicles off road in a safe and controlled manner.

The dramatic scenery includes coastal views, undulating hills, valleys, tall tree woods, water areas, as well as the opportunity to see unique plant and animal species.

Our vehicle friendly off road routes aim to blend a feeling of achievement as well as a memorable family day out, culminating in a social gathering, where you can share your experiences from an unbelievable day over a superb afternoon cream tea.

The Trec Days are charged at £150 per vehicle, which includes 2 cream teas.
Further cream teas can be booked at £5 each.

Our 2017 dates are:

EAST DEVON
9th April
4th June
13th August

EXMOOR
12th March
7th May
2nd July
3rd Sept
8th Oct
19th Nov (Defender Only)
10th Dec (Defender Only)

For more information, or to book your Trec Day, contact us on 01404 549 333.
 Andy

Post #17606849th Jan 2017 6:37 pm
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

And I'm in the main picture of that email Very Happy - well my car is

I did the East Devon trek last year, very good day. May try persuading the Mrs that we need another holiday in Devon this year.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #17606979th Jan 2017 6:47 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Always good to have a claim to fame!

I thought about going on one last year, but never got around to booking, so may need to try putting it right this year.
 Andy

Post #17607089th Jan 2017 6:56 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

great day out driving your own.....we also did the dunkeld (Scotland) one...absolute fabulous..

Post #17608519th Jan 2017 9:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Buckster

England 

Have done Devon and Exmoor and they come highly recommended, both great days out and the views on East Devon were stunning 8) Thumbs Up
 2003 BMW M5- 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.
Visiting from the RR Sport forum: 

Post #176095210th Jan 2017 8:46 am
dlgis

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

This sounds interesting as we often get down to Devon. May give the Exmoor one a go in May or July Thumbs Up
 D4 GS 12MY  
Post #176164411th Jan 2017 2:06 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Did Exmoor last year along with a couple of others from the forum. A good day out doing something a bit different. Nice to get views of places you're unlikely to go otherwise. In terms of "off road" driving, it's very easy. Ideal for those who just want to "have a go". Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #176164711th Jan 2017 2:20 pm
dlgis

Excellent just right for my skill level i reckon Thumbs Up
 D4 GS 12MY  
Post #176165211th Jan 2017 2:34 pm
LaserTam

Gets booked up fairly quickly I think.
Post #176168411th Jan 2017 3:32 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had same email and seriously thinking about it as its only a couple of hours from us.

I am an off road virgin - I assume it caters for that?
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #176169811th Jan 2017 3:43 pm
sycove

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I will probably do the Easter trec at Dunkeld. Did one last year and it was a brilliant day.

Really good introduction to off roading, you get a little drive through the off-road course before going on the trec and at any difficult bits the instructors check you are in the correct settings. The course is designed to be safe for the vehicles (well as much as possible)

Post #176172311th Jan 2017 4:12 pm
LaserTam

GlosBoy wrote:
I had same email and seriously thinking about it as its only a couple of hours from us.

I can only comment on the East Devon day - but yes well suited I would say. They will give you some help/tips if needed, they ask all drivers at the start what experience they have. Make sure you know what all the buttons do and what they are for. Probably most 'challenging' (by this I mean challenging for you, not the car) are at the end, some steep inclines/declines. So knowing that HDC is switched on before you drop down the slope for example.

Probably a half day LR Experience day beforehand would benefit you considerably , giving you more confidence on the trek day. I had a half day 1-1 tuition at a LRE site before going.

Insurance - they do stipulate that you need to have adequate insurance and last year they emailed me in advance asking me to send a copy. A Plan policy includes the cover, others may as well.

Its very good day though.
Post #176178111th Jan 2017 5:50 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

GlosBoy wrote:

Very much so. The guys running it are LRE instructors so they know the vehicles inside out and are used to novices. They ask for your experience level at the start so you can let them know you're new at it. As everyone has a hand held radio they can give instruction remotely if required. You can ask them for pointers as you go too.

On the Exmoor day I went on, the one decent climb / descent was done individually and there was an instructor at the top and bottom. They were checking everyone was in the correct gear etc. and gave some tips according to vehicle (Disco/RRS, Evoque, Defender). At another point, an Evoque was just a little slippy in some light mud and they coached the driver by radio to help him. All done calmly and professionally. Good bit of humour too when required.

There is nothing in the day that will tax a Discovery. I did half of the day in just low range without any terrain response programmes selected - this was on purpose, by the way. My RRS sailed through. I'm sure a decently wet day might be different but we were fortunate with the weather.

Go for it - you'll enjoy it and perhaps learn stuff too. A good combination in my book. Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #176182111th Jan 2017 7:45 pm
dlgis

Just spotted the bit about requiring insurance. Sounds like i,ll have to trawl thru pages of small print. I'm with LV.
 D4 GS 12MY  
Post #176201612th Jan 2017 8:26 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

looking at dates for exmoor as did devon in 2015 very worthwhile and yes completely safe for off road newbies and you can take passengers as well great day out for all the family

hill climb and decent being the highlight imo but the river crossing fun as well

re the insurance , they have to put this bit in but if you ring your insurers you will get fobbed off unless you have a specilaist broker ( adrian flux or similar ) as they dont really understand what your asking them and seem to think your doing the paris dakaar rally .

tbh the risk is very slight and i didnt bother and wont do if i go to exmoor

you wont be exposed to a situation where you are at risk ( you just might think you are when at the top of that slope pressing the HDC button with the voice in your head shouting dont brake dont brake !! )
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #176202712th Jan 2017 8:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >