DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine Management Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stickymint

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Engine Management Fault

Hi
I currently own a Disco3 TDV6 S. It has done nearly 130000 miles, has had the valve thingies blocked off and apart from the odd suspension warning lights coming on and a constant warning light coming on due to a faulty brake sensor cable it has been ok.
but just recently it started smoking quite badly when I booted it and would leave a nice haze in the air for anyone following, it doesn't do this all the time though.
The car is in need of a service and oil change, but in the last week it is getting very difficult to drive due to the engine management warning kicking it into limp mode. It did it 7 times to me on the way home the other night. Not good when your stuck on the motorway. It doesnt come up with any codes and as soon as you turn it off and on again it clears. But it only seems to happen when I put my foot down and exceed 3000 rpm and it kicks straight in. If I park up and clear the fault I can hold the engine on the limiter while stationary and it doesn't kill the engine or kick up a fault until I move again and put me foot down. (I have cleaned the MAP sensor recently)
Help.
I don't really want to have to put it into the nearest Dealer and have to have a second mortgage. Looking for suggestions or even someone to do the servicing / problem fixing who is a wizz with these vehicles local to me. Nr Grantham Lincolnshire.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Post #17589276th Jan 2017 2:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rosspopp1

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi , Would check the Boost pipes I suspect t you may have a split hose?

Post #17589286th Jan 2017 2:05 pm
Stickymint

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Where are they, soz, are they visible looking into the engine bay or underneath. cheers

Post #17589296th Jan 2017 2:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think your looking at either a split in the intercooler pipes or the intercooler itself, or a sticking turbo vane.

Split pipes can be difficult to spot, and a split in the intercooler itself will probably be seen as an oily stain.

The turbo linkage can sometimes be freed off, but it's difficult to access and sometimes the the actuator motor dies.

Post #17589316th Jan 2017 2:08 pm
dunnrookie

England 2005 LR3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Barolo BlackLR3
Engine System Fault

I too have had the EGR valves blocked off and I thought that was why i was getting "engine system fault" message. Turns out it was the turbo boost vane sticking. LR Garage wants to replace the turbo for mega bucks so i am just going to live with it cos the car drives fine.

Post #176111610th Jan 2017 4:12 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Probably worth a hour in the wheel arch with some WD40, rather than "do nothing"

Post #176117410th Jan 2017 6:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >