Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rear Storage Boxes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Rear Storage Boxes

Has anyone had rear storage boxes/cupboards fitted?

if so what brands or pics please.

Also considering rear cargo barrier. Are there any other pruducts other than the LR??

Regards

Bob

Post #21546615th Oct 2007 11:30 pm
White Disco

Australia 

PCH has a pretty good set up in the rear of his D3. PM him if he is not around.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #21547315th Oct 2007 11:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

REDDISCO and Retiredbob,

Since the Melbourne Day Trip I built a new set of drawers that the 2 drawers side by side like you see with Black Widow system for the D3. The fridge sits on top of the drawers. I also had made (via Simon_arch1 on this forum) a custom Autosafe cargo barrier to suit my drawer set up.

Personally I reckon the professional drawer systems are far too expensive (eg around $2000 plus more $ for the cargo barrier). With my second set of draws I spent $800 on materials and had the pleasure to build them myself over a couple of weekends. The most expensive part was the draw slides which are rated at 100kg per pair and they work great and don't rattle but cost around $200 for 2 pair. Other nice things that you see on the pro jobbies are recessed locking handles and recessed tie downs which I bought from a truck accessory shop. Most of the materials (plywood sheeting, screws, bolts, pva glue, carpet) came from Bunnings, the aluminium came from Capral and 3M spray adhesive for the carpet from Clark Rubber. The tools used were a circular saw, mitre saw with blade for cutting aluminium, wood router, electric drill, electric screwdriver, 2 G-clamps, metal countersink bits and a bit of time.

So to answer Retiredbob's question I know Black Widow do draws and cargo barriers to suit
http://www.blackwidow4wdstorage.com
and 4x4 Intelligence (Simon_arch1) http://www.4x4intelligence.com.au/ can arrange a cargo barrier (no relationship with 4x4intellegence btw).

Chris

Some pics of my drawers

2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Last edited by PCH on 16th Oct 2007 12:41 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #21548316th Oct 2007 2:13 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Guys. I had a set of Off Road System drawers fitted to my SE. It was the first set the company had done for this model. I have two drwers plus fridge slide. I will upload photo asap. The issue I have with the drawers are as PCH says "the cost" not much change from $1800. And to access the spare wheel. I have to remove the frige slide to lift the 3rd row seats. Dont know how to get round this as you can not access the release without raising the seats Big Cry
The other issue is the rear power socket is placed in such a position that it is difficult to access once the draws are fitted (depending on height of drawers) I had a set od sockets from the dual battery fitted next ti the storage compartments in the top of the side panels near the 3rd row drink holders. i also had to have a LD cargo barrier fitted as could not get ready-made, the issue is with the rear airbags.

Having said all that I must admit they are great on long trips they certainly make packing easy, and the issue with unloading the gear in the rear still applies even if you dont have a set of drawers, not good for a state of the art 4x4
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #21549216th Oct 2007 7:00 am
PCH

WayneD,

Remove the third row seats as long as your drawers and fridge slide will stay supported in the middle. If they are not supported in the centre then find a way to support the drawers. It's not hard to remove the seat but I recommend you have another perosn to help because they come out together and it is a bit awkward and heavy. You need a Torx bit for the bolts.

The advantge of removing the seats are:

1. With the drawers fitted you can't use them anyway
2. You will remove at least 40kg from the rear which would be useful for other touring stuff (read beer)
3. You will be able to access the winch to lower the spare a whole lot easier
4. The cavity left with removal of the seats can be used to store smaller items. I carry the tirfor's 20m steel cable under here along with jumper leads, water crossing blind on one side and some food containers and my laptop on the other side.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #21549316th Oct 2007 7:14 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Chris, Will give that a go. I am off to Moreton Island in a couple of weeks so the extra room for the beer will come in handy.
cheers
Wayne
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #21590717th Oct 2007 3:34 am
DiscoStu

England 

Check out Chris Tylers' gallery. He has the same - or very similar
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #21591617th Oct 2007 7:23 am
RetiredBob

Thanks all for your responses.

PCH. Not being much of a handy man I may have trouble making your design wich I consider to be the answer - but I do have a couple of friends that are pretty handy. May have to put the bite on them.

I have had a look at the other sites mentioned plus Off Road Systems and they are certainly exxy. Do not think the treasurer would allow the expenditure.

Regards and thanks

Post #21653418th Oct 2007 10:48 pm
PCH

RetiredBob,

I have my previous drawers that I have not further use for. They are 2 drawers on top of on another and fridge to one side. It was made from Quebeloc aluminium square tubing and plastic joiners with ply sheeting and carpet. I removed the fridge slide and reused it on my new drawers.

Some pics for you RetiredBob.

Aluminium square tube frame

Access from middle row seats

The drawer configuration

The complete set up including a top box for storage of stove and food containers

This is a 1600kg Tirfor in the lower drawer

Please note that the Waeco fridge slide is no longer fitted. It is the one that suits the 50lt+ Weaco's. The Drawers don't have roller slides but use angle aluminium to slide which work okay with some dry lube applied. The access via the middle row seats allows storage of 10lt water jerry, Weaco 36 AH deep cycle, Coleman water heater and 2*5lt water containers. It is finished with carpet and aluminium angle that is pop riveted. The Drawers have never rattled apart and were in use for the past 2 years before I built the new set.

The only problem is that you are NSW and I'm in Vic.

PM me if you are interested.

Chris

Last edited by PCH on 19th Oct 2007 11:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21655619th Oct 2007 12:24 am
RetiredBob

Thanks PCH would appreciate the pics. Melb no prob as I have to travel down a few times in the next couple of months.

Disco currently in the stealers trying to trace down a shudder. Have had wheel alignment and wheel balancing done but shudder still occurs when under load at around 55-60 km PH and as some higher speeds. Luckily the head honcho at the stealers felt the same shudder when I took him for a test drive, Heres hoping.

Regards

Post #21656019th Oct 2007 12:54 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Spare wheel winder solution?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post222833.html#222833
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22283410th Nov 2007 6:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >