Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Heater starts to blow cooler air
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Singh

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Heater starts to blow cooler air

I thought this was just my imagination, but on a recent trip the Mrs commented on this too.

With the heating in manual mode (not auto or AC), if we set the temp to say 21 degrees, within a few mins of driving we start to get hot air. After some time, it begins to blow what feels to be cooler air out, noted by the fact that we have to increase the temp (say to 25) to start to get hot air again. So on and so forth.

I saw some threads on the D3 list for similar issues, but cant seem to find anything D4 specific.

Any advice?

Post #174125329th Nov 2016 4:42 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

No advice but my 2010 does this also. I recall reading that even with the ac off the ac pump isn't fully shut down. Still annoying that it starts to cool the cabin when you want it to stay warm.

Post #174126929th Nov 2016 5:03 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

D4s can suffer from warm air behind the dash affecting the cabin temp sensor, so not that different to the original D3s. Sometimes the pipework behind the sensor becomes dislodged or crushed at manufacture or during a repair.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #174128829th Nov 2016 5:45 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

What you're seeing, or rather feeling is the effect of the 'climate' control, which is actually just thermostatic control. You chose a temperature, and when the temperature of the air inside the car reaches, or actually exceeds the set temperature, the system blows cold to bring it down again. When the air temperature is too cold, it'll blow hot again to raise the temperature.

The system is not very good. The gap between the low temp (when it tries to raise the temp) and the high temp (when it tries to lower the temp) is called the hysteresis.

I've had cars with better systems (lower hysteresis), but I found the same as you. the changing temperature of the blown air is annoying to say the least.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #174131029th Nov 2016 6:32 pm
Singh

Robbie wrote:
D4s can suffer from warm air behind the dash affecting the cabin temp sensor, so not that different to the original D3s. Sometimes the pipework behind the sensor becomes dislodged or crushed at manufacture or during a repair.

Thumbs Up

What do you do to diagnose this correctly, and or, how do you fix it?

Post #174147229th Nov 2016 11:33 pm
Singh

rrhool wrote:
What you're seeing, or rather feeling is the effect of the 'climate' control, which is actually just thermostatic control. You chose a temperature, and when the temperature of the air inside the car reaches, or actually exceeds the set temperature, the system blows cold to bring it down again. When the air temperature is too cold, it'll blow hot again to raise the temperature.

The system is not very good. The gap between the low temp (when it tries to raise the temp) and the high temp (when it tries to lower the temp) is called the hysteresis.

I've had cars with better systems (lower hysteresis), but I found the same as you. the changing temperature of the blown air is annoying to say the least.

So it does this even if the heating is not set to AUTO? I would assume what you describe would be the true climate control function, but what I expect it to do in non-Auto mode is if I set the fan speed and temp to my desired value, it keeps pumping that out regardless until I change any of the settings?

Seems there is always monitoring of the air temp going on, regardless if using the climate control in auto or manual mode. I know in auto mode it also controls fan speed and air distribution, but it seems that from what you say, manual does not really mean manual.

Post #174147529th Nov 2016 11:37 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ive had climate on a few different cars now and sometimes think the old three rotary knobs were just so much easier, you want heat turn the dial clockwise and it will keep blowing hot until you start sweating.

Post #174155430th Nov 2016 8:07 am
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Noticed exactly the same thing - car only seems warm when its set on high, but then gets too hot.

Set it to 25 - 28 and I feel cold air through so I put on high and switch it off when I start cooking.

Anyway of disconnecting something in the climate control/ moving the sensor?

Post #174159130th Nov 2016 9:32 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Singh wrote:

So it does this even if the heating is not set to AUTO? I would assume what you describe would be the true climate control function, but what I expect it to do in non-Auto mode is if I set the fan speed and temp to my desired value, it keeps pumping that out regardless until I change any of the settings?

Seems there is always monitoring of the air temp going on, regardless if using the climate control in auto or manual mode. I know in auto mode it also controls fan speed and air distribution, but it seems that from what you say, manual does not really mean manual.

The temperature is always thermostatically 'Climate' controlled, even in manual. For it to be properly manual, there would have to be a physical control of a water valve, or an air mixing flap, and there simply isn't. It's all electronically/electrically controlled. I dont believe there is any cure, it was written into the control system at design.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #174160330th Nov 2016 9:43 am
Singh

Thanks for that. Annoying to say the least.

Post #174161430th Nov 2016 10:09 am
HammersnBlades

Portugal 
Blowing cooler air

This could be the start of the Water distribution Valve bonding breaking down. Its a plastic unit perched on top of the engine just above the fan.. If you notice fluid loss then its more than likely to be the issue..

Post #175510429th Dec 2016 2:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >