Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Post EGR Blanking Observations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
The Keeper

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Post EGR Blanking Observations

I blanked the EGR valves at the weekend and have observed a number of things since. My D4 already had the BAS remap just for clarity.

1. The engine feels more “willing” than it did before EGR blanking
2. It feels like it pulls better form cold
3. I was getting smoke from the exhaust without blanking when the car was under load, this has now significantly reduced
4. No more crap being forced back in to the engine which has to be a bonus when you look at the exhaust gas deposits that you find on the EGR inlet stub pipes!

Whilst my car is a D4, it is an early MY09 with the 2.7 TDV6 with no DPF. This is significant as later D4’s used the 3.0L TDV6 which have DPF, and to the best of my knowledge (having read through the forums) can’t have EGR blanking due to emission control settings on the car which the LR Guru’s haven’t been able to work around.

Thanks again to Peter Bell at Bell Auto Services (Site Sponsor) for the advice, and not least of all bailing me out of the poo when I rang him at 17:30 on a Friday night when my EGR valve had failed (Engine warning light on and no power) and he worked on my mapping file and sent me the work-around within 30 minutes..!! Bow down
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
2.7 TDV6 - Manual
EGR Blanked
BAS Remap
Rear privicy glass
Discovery Sport steering wheel
20" Landmark Wheels
Black Landmark side vents
Black rear lights
Black side indicators 

Post #173482616th Nov 2016 10:41 am
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Had it done on my Pops RRS by bodsy last week , he's already seeing improved MPG
After a couple of future oil changes it will stay quite clean , not instantly black after a mile or 2 Thumbs Up
Planning to do my 09 D3 later , box flush first as a maintenance point

Post #173483216th Nov 2016 10:51 am
The Keeper

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Good point 'daftlad'. Flushing the engine and replacing the oil post EGR blanking makes sense. I hadn’t considered that.
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
2.7 TDV6 - Manual
EGR Blanked
BAS Remap
Rear privicy glass
Discovery Sport steering wheel
20" Landmark Wheels
Black Landmark side vents
Black rear lights
Black side indicators 

Post #173483716th Nov 2016 10:58 am
Willi

Brazil 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

D4 ownere here, but outside UK (in Brazil actually) and I've been wanting to block off or disable the EGR system on my 2011 SDV6.
Mine has 180k km on the meter, religious oil/filter changes every 10k km (because brazilian fuel demands it) and I just went and cleaned the MAP sensor right after the EGR intake, it was dirty, with some sooty oil, but not nearly as dirty as some I've seen in the forum.

Question is: Just a blanking plate might cause problems from what I read and I can't just send the ECU to another country for a remap, so is there any way it can be done with a GAP tool? (I already own one and it's a godsend) or any other manner? I really want to increase the reliability of this engine (it's been a joy to own, servicing the belts was not nearly as a nightmare as people claim it to be) and I plan on keeping this beast until the wheels fall off.

Any pointers or ideas on how to do the remap? I can try and plug a computer to the ECU and let someone access the car remotely, no biggie. Paying for the service is also not a problem, I just want the EGR gone.
I also plan on doing a walnut blasting on the intakes soon (just the heads, not the plastic, mind you) and a big checkup on the engine, since it won't cost me anything but time invested in the car, hence preventing the EGR from causing problems in the future.

Thank you all in advance.

Post #224792023rd Aug 2021 3:13 pm
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I understand that you can't get rid of the EGR's if you have a DPF fitted as the EGR's are used to ramp up exhaust temps during the DPF regen. So check if you have DPF's fitted.

Adrian
 Series one 1949 - in bits, chassis is strapped to the ceiling in my garage (beside the canoe)
LR 90 - In bits
Disco 3 - currently in bits 

Post #224792123rd Aug 2021 3:19 pm
Willi

Brazil 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

From what I looked up, the only thing that has to remain is the butterfly valve in the plenum, which is used to reduce intake airflow when the DPF regeneration is in place, increasing exaust temps.
The EGRs remain closed during the DPF regeneration cycle and remain so until it's done because since they are cooled, they would reduce the exhaust heat necessary for the process.
I need to look up the exhaust on my Disco, but I don't think it has the DPF. It IS a SDV6 from 2011, so they MIGHT be there. Better make sure.

Post #224808524th Aug 2021 4:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >