Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Cooper stt's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shakyknees49

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Cooper stt's

I've heard very mixed reports on Cooper STT 245 70 17 on Discovery 3's. The criticism is noise and harshness. I'd like to hear from any one who has them fitted to a discovery 3. I had a set on my classic Rangerover and was very pleased with them.
I'll set up some highway tyres when I can get a set of 18 inch wheels....any body selling a set ???? so the coopers will only be used for off road trips.

Post #2109593rd Oct 2007 2:14 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I can speak from experience.

The STT's are noiser than the Wranglers but not overly obtrusive inside the cabin with windows closed IMHO. The tyre whine has different levels of volume at differrent speed. For example it sounds louder at 60kph than at 100kph.

I have standard 18" wheels and the Goodyear Wranglers which are actually harsher to ride on than the 17" Coopers which have a 10 ply LT construction and you would think these should be harsh but quite the opposite. I think the 70 series profile of the Coopers and the deeper tread block are the reasons for the less harsh ride over the 60 series Wranglers. This subjective comparison is made with the same tyre pressures

FYI, The Cooper ST and STT have similar amounts of road noise. I've had both.

So if you want a better off-road tyre then you have to accept an increase in noise but you will get a softer ride IMO. I wouldn't say the Cooper is the best off-road tyre however it is the only one in 17" that is almost the same diameter as the OEM's.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2109613rd Oct 2007 3:31 am
shakyknees49

Thanks for the reply Chris
Thats what I wanted to hear....Having owned landrovers for over thirty years I've used a lot of different tyres. Even the noisy ones these days are quieter than the tyres from the '60's and '70's.

Still looking for a set of 18's

Pete

Post #2109633rd Oct 2007 5:57 am
White Disco

Australia 

G'Day Pete,
I've got the 17" Cooper ATR tyres on my D3. They are the same size as the OEM Wranglers and behave the same on road. Have done a little off road and I'm much more confident with Coopers on than I was with the OEM tyres on. They cost about $290 each but you could do better than that.
Cheers,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2109843rd Oct 2007 8:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had a set of Cooper ATR 255/65 fitted on my 17 inch rims by the dealer when I picked up the vehicle in July.. Have done 13,000 which includes 4WD training, the Gibb River Road and Broome to Sydney. They have been at speeds upto 150kl per hour (compliments the handbrake, speedo seems to be an option Rolling Eyes ) and through the mud on a traing trip. Have to say I am very plesed with them and dont find them noisey, but cannot compare to other tyres on the Disco as this is my first Landy. Tyre noise was not an issue with my Pajero diesel as you could not hear anything over the engine anyway! Thumbs Up
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #2114274th Oct 2007 8:28 am
robertpearse

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Pete,

Swapped over from Goodyear Wrangles OE to Cooper HT + so have 3 for sale if you are interested. See sepearte thread. Spare for sales

Cheers

Rob

Post #23692323rd Dec 2007 1:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I have a set on my car . They are not bad off road , but my next set will be BFG's because I find them (BFG's) better in mud. The STTs are noisier and harsher on tar than the original Wranglers - but then they are a mud tyre so you get what you pay for and they obviously perform much better off the tar.

I must mention though that I have 2 sets of tyres and the STT's only get used for off roading and overlanding. I suspect I wouldn't enjoy them much for everyday use . But that seems like what you want to do as well , so I say go for it or else check out the BFG's .

Post #23693123rd Dec 2007 5:17 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Pete
I have been running the Mickey Thompson ATZ.
They are a good compromise and very quiet Thumbs Up

Post #23693623rd Dec 2007 7:02 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Cooper STT's

All comes down to what you'recomfortable with I guess. I had the BFG AT's fitted by the dealer from new and there is very little road noise (far less than what I had with them on my NM Pajero). Haven't had a chance to give them a hit out off-road on the Disco, but they were good on the Paj (and still going at approx 85K Km when I sold it).
Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #23693923rd Dec 2007 7:51 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Martin
The BFGs used to be the best tyre on the market.
i used to sell them whenever i could,
but the mileage seems to have gone out of them in the last few years.
Some seem to be good while others are wearing quickly. Question

Post #23704223rd Dec 2007 10:07 pm
DavidK

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I put on the Cooper STT's with 17" steel rims in September for a large trip, been running around Sydney with them on since I have got back with no great urge to swap the highway tyres back on (plus they do look great on the car).

Once the STT's have done a few kms on them the noise drops and it is only really noticable from around 80 km/h up....and I drive with my windows down.

regards,
David
 MY05 TDV6 S - manual, King springs lift, General Grabber AT  
Post #23780228th Dec 2007 2:04 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

I had the STT's (in 265's, slightly bigger) and found them pretty noisy - yes I know they're supposed to be a mud tyre. I changed to Mickey Thompson MTZ's, which are a similar MT pattern, but the noise was _much_ reduced!! Only problem was wear ....

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #2392482nd Jan 2008 11:09 am
shakyknees49

I bought a set Cooper Stt's and had them fitted on CSA 17 x 8 alloys. We did a trip from northern NSW down through the Snowys into the Victorian High Country in November. The noise was quite bearable and the tyres performed very well both on the highway and on tracks ...mud rocks etc....

Post #2395853rd Jan 2008 7:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >