Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Online Service History downside
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Online Service History downside

Generally, my view of keeping all the service history online, regardless of which dealer services the vehicle, is that it is a big step forwards for the customer. However the system does rely entirely on the competence of the people inputting the data; an error could potentially have big consequences for the customer later down the line.

I purchased a D4 from an independent dealer. One owner, 7k miles, 8 months old in May 2016 that was registered in Sept 2015. Didn't think anything about service history as not old enough or enough miles to even have needed its first service. No service book obviously as it's all now stored online. No way of checking online because you can't access it until you can prove you are the new owner.

I decided to register with the online service portal so that I could easily see the service records in the future. (https://osh.landrover.com/login). Was a bit of a faf as I'm the second owner but was all sorted out with a couple of emails

Imagine my surprise when I accessed the online service record for the first time to see that my car was apparently serviced by a large main dealer in March 2016 with 24k miles on the clock. Shocked

Of course my first reaction was that I have just spent £40k on a car that has had a 'mileage adjustment' at the point where it fell into the hands of the indy dealer.

Closer inspection of the service record put my mind slightly at ease, the service apparently carried out at 24k miles was actually a 48k/36month service i.e. for a vehicle that had covered 24k miles but must have been 36 months old. That suggested that the service for a different vehicle had been added to my service record, rather than my car having been clocked. Tbh the condition of my car also very strongly suggested to me that it was a 7k rather than a 24k mile car.

Of course there was still another worry. As far as Land Rover are concerned my car has gone from 0 to 24k miles in 8 months and only had one service. That might not be a problem today but who knows in 4 years time when there is a dispute about how well the car has been maintained, in the event of a goodwill payment for example. Even if the correct service history is added over the following years, there could always be the get out that in LRs view it did in fact cover 24k miles without a service and was then 'mileage adjusted' before I purchased it. So it needed it to be corrected.

Got on the phone to the service department who did the apparent service at 24k (and also who supplied it new - the PDI is shown as a service on the record). The lady was very helpful, but as I explained the issue to her I couldn't help but think she wasn't quite 'getting it'. Confirmation came when she remarked, slightly tersely "well how do you know what online service history we have entered for it - it's up to us what we key into there not you?"

"Well because the customer can register to check it online obviously" I replied, "that's the whole point". "Can you?" she says "we didn't know that the customer could do that, we just thought we had to enter it for JLR purposes" Rolling Eyes

Anyway, after a lot of umming and ahhing and clicking on the computer (it's helpful that the online record has the job numbers next to the service items so I could give her the job number), she declares that that job number is for an entirely different car to mine and that they did in fact service this other car on that day.

My car was in the dealership that day also, for some recall work to be done apparently.

The lady then helpfully declares "I think we have made an administrative error" - no Censored Sherlock I'm thinking..........

Unfortunately the lady has no idea how to fix the 'administrative error'. As I am sitting here writing this I'm waiting for another phone call back from them with an update.

I would urge anyone who is on the online service record system to make sure you register and check periodically that everything looks correct - even if you haven't had a service carried out yet.

One thing is for sure, I'm having a game sorting it out 4 months after the error occurred. I'd hate to be trying to sort it 4 years after the error occurred when I'm about to sell it on to someone who wants the proof of service history printed off. Having all the service receipts to hand is good but if you were a potential buyer and you saw a mileage anomaly like that in the online record then you would probably walk away.

Post #167466029th Jun 2016 1:36 pm
trevorb1

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Suggest you send a pm to Lucy at the crc desk, she should be able to help sort this one out. Previousely had problem with service not be recorded at all on a freelander 2, quickly sorted by the crc team.

Post #167477829th Jun 2016 5:29 pm
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I've just registered for on line service record and it has come back that the vehicle with my VIN is not registered to me !!!
I could still access the service record but it only showed the PDI service it was given just before I bought the vehicle, nothing since, even tho I have had it serviced at it's first birthday !!
A quick e mail sent off and a promise received that they will look into it and get back to me within three working days Sad

Post #178026417th Feb 2017 11:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

The easy solution here is to always ask for a copy of the online history when buying the car and at each service. Even if it's less than a year old, it'll have the pdi date and mileage.
To be fair I wouldn't have thought of asking for it if less than a year or 16000 miles!

It is one click of a button for the servicing garage to print the history... with a password key so you can access it even if not registered (I think).
We always print the history when updating it, that way everyone knows it's been done ✅
Many times I have come to update it and the last service hasn't been entered by the dealer.
It is a good system, but is as easy as a mistake in the service book.

Regards
Steve

Post #178027818th Feb 2017 6:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EMcC

Hi Steve, My vehicle was bought new, ordered from the factory, nothing easier than that !!
So no previous servicing history other than the PDI.
Still awaiting the reply to my E Mail !!

Last edited by EMcC on 18th Feb 2017 9:00 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #178029318th Feb 2017 8:59 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Ok

It may be progress & have advantages...but has obvious & quite serious disadvantages
Jaguar do this too & ive experienced issues plus have heard if many other issues....all incorrect or absent info....
Paper records have there place.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #178029418th Feb 2017 9:00 am
philm

England 

Still a better system than a service book which seem to go missing or have dodgy dealer stamps.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #178030118th Feb 2017 9:34 am
anglefire

England 

My BMW has the service record all available from the cars display (Sat nav amongst other things) Does still rely on the information being put on record - but I'm pretty sure its two way - i.e. the garage put it on your record and the car is updated or the other way around- or both.

Means you can see what was done when from the car - useful when purchasing if nothing else!
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #178030718th Feb 2017 9:49 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

You can get service records off topix too, go to print summary and it will be on there too at the top of the page.

Post #178032018th Feb 2017 10:35 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I don't think Topix shows routine servicing, it only shows if outstanding service actions have been applied to the car.

Post #178033718th Feb 2017 12:09 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

It is, but only if you go to print summary. They are listed at the top of print out, all routine servicing, dates mileages etc.

Post #178036618th Feb 2017 2:26 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hmm, not having bothered before, I decided after reading this to get registered etc.

When I eventually got to read the service history, the 2nd service mileage was down as 21500 instead of 31500 Shocked

I'm due back next week for 3rd service so I'll mention it to them ... Whistle

Post #178044118th Feb 2017 6:22 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Quote:

Hi Steve, My vehicle was bought new, ordered from the factory, nothing easier than that !!
So no previous servicing history other than the PDI.
Still awaiting the reply to my E Mail !!

Ah, I see.
I have just been on online history and I can change the details of a vehicle I have serviced, but I cannot delete it.
I would suggest Landrover customer services have to do it.

Regards
Steve

Post #178048718th Feb 2017 8:03 pm
EMcC

It's due it's next service 8th March in Yeovil so I will bring it up then and see what they have to say - that is if I've heard nothing back from Customer services before then.
Will be pretty interesting to hear what they have to say.

Post #178049018th Feb 2017 8:12 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Coincidentally one of the (US) news feeds I occasionally browse had this over the weekend - interesting Shocked

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/157447106751

Post #178108520th Feb 2017 10:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >