Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Spooling down for better turbo life
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Robse

United Kingdom 

I used to do it in the Subarus after a good thrash !! Tend to "waft" around in the disco, is it really necessary ? Unless you guys are racing about ?!
Surely if was a problem stop start wouldn't be included.
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #16651749th Jun 2016 6:24 pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 
Re: Landfill

BLFarrar wrote:
any multi cylinder internal combustion engine has a firing order or sequence - a sequence of individual cylinders either drawing air in, compressing, firing, exhausting & these are set apart governed by the crankshaft / then the camshaft/s.

its physically impossible to have all the pistons at the top.

what your late relation was maybe saying was to stop the engine at a rate higher than tick-over speed wasn't good...but stop any engine & the whole thing stops turning eventually & comes to rest one cylinder or another is going to be at some point in its cycle & its next door neighbour another point

letting the engine idle for say the time it takes you to take your seat belt off & gather your belongings (20-30 seconds maybe) to me would be worth it as it allows the turbo to cool a bit from its running temperature...remember this is a gas turbine that gets to engine exhaust temperatures 6-7-800 degrees C........its fed with engine lube oil

I've decided to give up on this one Rolling Eyes
 FFRR Westminster TDV8
D4 HSE MY12 Aintree Green. Great car
RRS HSE Lux MY11 Stornoway Grey
Freelander2 SD4 HSE-Best car I have ever owned. 

Post #16652729th Jun 2016 9:31 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Stop-start

If you were driving at motorway speeds.....in stop - start mode
then pulled off the road & let the system stop the engine
then the cooling down if the turbo by running the engine at tickover speeds is not happening
But, being ecological you are saving fuel

The whole point of letting things cool...it is the right way theoretically
Plus it was what you were told to do some years ago...
Remember this was in the era where engine oils weren't fully synthetic, you did vehicle services far more frequently & turbos failed....for one reason or another.

Non synthetic engine oils arent as robust as regards carbonisation temperatures & it's the carbonisation of oil in the turbo bearings & the blockage if the fine oil passages & ways that feed the turbo that were thought to be being protected by the cooling down procedure.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #16652799th Jun 2016 9:46 pm
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

LandPhil wrote:

Made me laugh, as did the responses!
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #16652869th Jun 2016 10:01 pm
jeepmadmike

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I've never bothered- don't intend to start doing so now. driven lots of stuff with a hoover attached each to over 100k and never had a turbo issue.

The only time i would consider it is if you have given it a very hard time for a long time and just switched it off immediately- but that would be a lubrication issue rather than heat, letting it slow down for a few seconds would sort that.
 MY14 post man pat van
70series land cruiser
1947 willys jeep
Hobby 670 motor home
And lots of other stuff in my shed, on my driveway or abandoned in the village
Several VW T5's
Mitsubishi outlander
And a Suzuki X90... Only drive that at night 

Post #166589811th Jun 2016 12:41 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I don't bother ...nor even think of it ..there's no official advice to do so by LR, life's too short and the warranty will pay in any case Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #166591211th Jun 2016 1:14 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Statistics show that the main cause of blown cylinder head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads on vehicles with electric only radiator cooling fans is after a long run(motorway) on a hot day and then to be held up by a traffic jam with a faulty thermo-switch to start the cooling fan, it is also worth noting that on cars with such a cooling system the fan keeps running by design after the engine has been switched off. In normal driving conditions the fan rarely comes on and it is not noticed that the fan is not running particularly during winter.
It is worth mentioning anyone caught in this trap can always run the heater at max temperature to help bring the engine temp down, not pleasant for the passengers though.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #166591811th Jun 2016 1:28 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

jeepmadmike wrote:
I've never bothered- don't intend to start doing so now. driven lots of stuff with a hoover attached each to over 100k and never had a turbo issue.
The only time i would consider it is if you have given it a very hard time for a long time and just switched it off immediately- but that would be a lubrication issue rather than heat, letting it slow down for a few seconds would sort that.

I have always bothered....brought up on naturally aspirated (non-turbo) petrol,engines lubed with mineral oils, vehicles that had to be serviced every 5k miles......a different world.
Turbo Diesel engines arent that new to me......before vehicles I ran numerous vessels & sites with diesel alternators for main & back up electrical power...here there were rules:
Not running light load....as the lower engine exhaust temperatures meant lower turbo speeds & less scavenge t....which for an engine providing emergency power is important.
After use.....running slow for a set cool down period....to prevent oil carbonisation of the turbo bearings

But that was when the rules were set by the company, Board of Trade & Lloyds...but based on solid evidence of running engines in exacting conditions. Best Practice.
Transferring the lessons learnt & continuing the engineering disciplines on the kit I have payed for & have to keep good - I let things cool down a bit.
Who's this going to benefit ? .....well it could be the person who may get my vehicles after me, ebpven with lots of miles they will be in the best nick they could be & serve for a time longer than if I havoc the bothered + I will have saved hard earned cash.
It's a bit like checking engine oil levels & tyre pressures every week...a basic routine of user maintenance...things are caught on before they cause an issue, may cost more to fix & before the vehicle lets me or some other family member down. It also subscribes to safety. My safety & the safety of others.

Different strokes different folks....I do it my way & & im not bothered what others do...unless they ask for advice...thing about advice is it doesn't have to be followed.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #166593311th Jun 2016 1:52 pm
BLFarrar

M3DPO

See your point on electric engine cooling fans...running after the vehicle had stopped, however to my simple thinking this may cool the cooling system (the radiator) but not the engine...as it isn't turning so no water pump bring heat from the block to the radiator....the normal cooling system operation.

When a vehicle at speed a cooling fan isn't needed as the ram air forced through the radiator is in excess of that needed for heat exchange.....the argument for viscous cooling fans slipping & not consuming engine power & electric engine cooling fans that don't consume any engine power.

With any system when engine stopped the heat of the engine had to dissipate & I suppose it depends how long the engine is stopped for. Stopped for a short while it won't cool completely, stopped overnight or a number of hours will go to ambient temperatures.

I didn't realise that statistically blown cylinder head gaskets proved that Electric only cooling fans were responsible etc...the vehicles I have - a couplehave assist fans as well as engine driven silicone drive ones that seem to deploy if engine running, vehicle stopped & maybe a warmer day. You learn something new every day.
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #166593911th Jun 2016 2:07 pm
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

peteyd wrote:
LandPhil wrote:

Made me laugh, as did the responses!

I'm very late to the party on his, but I really enjoyed the original, and perhaps the responses even more, especially LandPhil's desperation Wink

Post #179652627th Mar 2017 4:55 pm
Sniper1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

LandPhil wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:
any multi cylinder internal combustion engine has a firing order or sequence - a sequence of individual cylinders either drawing air in, compressing, firing, exhausting & these are set apart governed by the crankshaft / then the camshaft/s.

its physically impossible to have all the pistons at the top.

what your late relation was maybe saying was to stop the engine at a rate higher than tick-over speed wasn't good...but stop any engine & the whole thing stops turning eventually & comes to rest one cylinder or another is going to be at some point in its cycle & its next door neighbour another point

letting the engine idle for say the time it takes you to take your seat belt off & gather your belongings (20-30 seconds maybe) to me would be worth it as it allows the turbo to cool a bit from its running temperature...remember this is a gas turbine that gets to engine exhaust temperatures 6-7-800 degrees C........its fed with engine lube oil

Yep, i think OVER HIS HEAD comes to mind! SHOOOOOOOM!!!! Rolling with laughter

Post #179660227th Mar 2017 9:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >