DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

GoPro to screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lord_unsub

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
GoPro to screen

Evening all,

Showing my new toy to a friend earlier. And apart from being a bit green eyed, he got me thinking of a use for an input. I was explaining how good the forum is, and how much I have learnt from reading various posts, one of which was the hidden button to gain access to the video inputs - which I showed him.

I have a HSE with 4x4 info but no other AV function. So I said about reverse cam, iPod / iPad film etc, and he said, what about a GoPro (other action cameras are available) ?

So this has got me thinking, I don't have a backpack screen on my GoPro, so I use the app via wifi, great feature but it kills the battery, and range can be hit and miss.

You can buy or make a mini USB to RCA cable, loom it into where you want to mount the camera, either use the converter cable or hard fix to rear screen plug and enjoy your next Greenlane adventure YouTube video in real time Thumbs Up

I did a search on here but could only see people comparing model types, so I hope I'm not 10yrs behind the curve on this! Embarassed

If anyone has tried it, I'd be interested on set up and camera location etc.

Peace out
 So far - 4X4 Info~3 Flash Indicators~2 Video inputs~Bluetooth Music~Dr-T~Fridge~Phone Update~SatNav on the move~Clock on Dash~Black in and out~Window Tints
To Do - LED lights in and out~Black wheels (maybe 18's?)~new grille and and rear lights 

Post #165623717th May 2016 9:50 pm
Lord_unsub

So, my initial excitement has been dashed a little. Can't find a mini USB to component cable. The one I thought I saw was actually for a old as the hills mobile phone Rolling Eyes

However, with two wires plumed in to the screen, I tried out to see if it worked with an Xbox.

Yay! We'll sort of, as it was on an extension lead from the garage! Whistle

GoPro work around so far is conversion cable to conversion cable until I have it from mini USB to RCA.
Once I've figured it out, I'll let you know Thumbs Up
 So far - 4X4 Info~3 Flash Indicators~2 Video inputs~Bluetooth Music~Dr-T~Fridge~Phone Update~SatNav on the move~Clock on Dash~Black in and out~Window Tints
To Do - LED lights in and out~Black wheels (maybe 18's?)~new grille and and rear lights 

Post #165732920th May 2016 6:05 pm
SN

search the site for fakra if you're looking at cables to fit the inputs of a D3 sat nav unit
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #165763021st May 2016 12:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Di$comfort

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

You want Mini to composite...not component. Try your search again.
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/mini-usb...fgodZx4P9w
Sorry if I misunderstood.
You can bypass FAKRA and hardwire to board but I'm guessing you already did that as you got the Xbox working. Now you need to locate where are you gonna stuff the inverter for that Xbox Very Happy

Post #166150930th May 2016 11:18 pm
nickprice

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a 12v HDMI to composite converter that provides the signal to my two rear screens. With a video to Fakra lead there's def no issue with doing what you've described.
 D3 SE with Hankook MT 275/65/R18, IID BT Tool, ProSpeed rock/tree sliders + compressor guard, RLD sump guard & winch tray + 13,000lb hidden winch, Gearbox guard, Frontrunner 80l aux tank with fuel gauge, V8 brake upgrade, Traxide USI-160 dual battery system, Frontrunner ladder, custom boot storage, Lazer LED driving lights, de-cat exhaust, Aftermarket Oro TPMS, i7 Mac Mini touch screen install (running Windows 10) mirrored on rear screens.  
Post #166151731st May 2016 12:56 am
Lord_unsub

Hello chaps,

It turns out I was having a 'moment'. The GoPro has a micro hdmi out socket next to the USB! Rolling Eyes

So, as has been pointed out, just the single hdmi to rca cable is needed Thumbs Up

I hard wired my leads in to the back in the end. I thought the connection was the same as the fuel sensor connectors that we use in helicopter fuel tanks , so was going to use those, but the connectors I had have a collar that meant the inner fit but the outer didn't. Then I got annoyed and couldn't wait, so I broke out the soldering iron Shocked

I'll pop back when I've sorted it

Regards

Post #166152231st May 2016 6:52 am
Di$comfort

If you use the usb it can power the GoPro as well Wink
Not an option if you use the HDMI. Plus the HD signal will not be realized by the $hity monitor anyway. c
Go pro composite(RCA) cable is cheap. And, easily made I might add.
 06' LR3 HSE_H/D pkg_D4 BT_Adrians RR nav mod_African Outdoor Bluetooth_GVIF_Rearview_BFGTKO2_  
Post #166152331st May 2016 6:58 am
Lord_unsub

Don't suppose you have a wiring diagram/picture of what to solder where? I've tried this with an apple 30pin lead for the iPad. So far it has resulted in widening my bad vocabulary in the garage!

I'm good with the tools side of life, just need an idiots guide as to what goes where! I've got a few spare usbs and rca ends Thumbs Up

Post #166152631st May 2016 7:21 am
Di$comfort

This upper plug ^ requires a 5V source to charge. Either source a close, but lower voltage source from fuse box or use a V-reg and feed that 12V

Either way you would just replace the JST plugs in the pics above with your RCA plugs. If you peel back the wire aft of the plugs both will have simple two wire leads. One being ground attached to the outer barrel of the RCA and the "source" wired to the center pin of the RCA.

Hope that helps and not confuses. These cables cost <$2.00
 06' LR3 HSE_H/D pkg_D4 BT_Adrians RR nav mod_African Outdoor Bluetooth_GVIF_Rearview_BFGTKO2_  
Post #166152731st May 2016 7:32 am
John Andre Ognheim

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Can you connect the Video signal directly behind the screen, and get the video up on screen?

Post #166160331st May 2016 2:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Di$comfort

Of course! You have to use hidden menu and select your source each time.
Or get a GVIF which would allow a faster switching with an added hard button.
Post #166161531st May 2016 3:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >