Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Any issues with Britpart D3/LR3 rear driveshaft/propshaft?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hillstrubl

United States 
Any issues with Britpart D3/LR3 rear driveshaft/propshaft?

My LR3 needs a new carrier bearing, looks like a simple swap to a new driveshaft. I put on a new Britpart one but there is a tiny gap regardless of how tight the bolts are where it meets the rear diff flange. Because of this gap there is a BIG vibration when at highway speeds. The truck has balanced tires, recent alignment and the vibes disappeared when we swapped back the old/bad rear driveshaft.

My concern is that there is a manufacturing flaw and a new/replacement Britpart shaft will have the same problem. Any insight to this?

Click image to enlarge

Post #165429213th May 2016 4:12 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Looks like it is being held proud so it is a manufacturing flaw so get it exchanged.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #165430813th May 2016 5:07 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Any issues with Britpart D3/LR3 rear driveshaft/propshaft?

hillstrubl wrote:
My LR3 needs a new carrier bearing, looks like a simple swap to a new driveshaft. I put on a new Britpart one but there is a tiny gap regardless of how tight the bolts are where it meets the rear diff flange. Because of this gap there is a BIG vibration when at highway speeds. The truck has balanced tires, recent alignment and the vibes disappeared when we swapped back the old/bad rear driveshaft.

My concern is that there is a manufacturing flaw and a new/replacement Britpart shaft will have the same problem. Any insight to this?

Click image to enlarge

ive just done mine,fitted a britpart prop marked up by gkn,mines not the same as yours as the uj bearings are peened in not held in by circlips (like your old one)so i would first check to see if its a chinese made unit then check your diff flange to make sure the surface is proper clean as that would stop your flange sitting down properly
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #165432213th May 2016 5:49 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I don't think it's a design fault, more a different design and quite common with after market replacements, looking at the flange fitting under the studs they appear to be correct and without a gap, if you have refitted the original and the vibration is not there the new shaft is not balanced or fitted correct, as said above did you clean the face of flanges down completely as the foot print of the new shaft may be slightly different, looking at the left stud on the original the flange appears to slightly overhang, is it possible to turn it 90 degrees and try it? any dirt or rust is sufficient to through it out of balance. Check all the circlips are seated fully, although this should not be necessary on a new shaft.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #165436813th May 2016 7:56 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Mine is Britpart and I don't think it has the circlips. When I tightened the bolts I was very aware that if the prop was not seated in the flange before tightening, that the flange / ridge could be distorted. Needed my son to help keep everything in line whilst I tightened the bolts.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #165442913th May 2016 10:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >