DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Radio Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
millsd3

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Radio Problem

Hi Folks

2009 HSE, 98k miles, pretty much all the usual issues sorted out (£ ouch £) but latest is that the radio suddenly lost volume. CD player works OK, you can see the vol setting going up and down with both the head unit and steering wheel controls. The preset frequencies are still there but the unit doesn't display the station name. It won't find a station when you use scan. It's like it has no aerial attached. I've done a hard reset (lost the presets, still won't find a station using scan) so am about to take the unit out and have a look at the wiring. Has anyone had a similar problem ? I have searched the forum but couldn't see anything definitive. Does anyone know where the aerial cable routes through the car from the head unit back to the rear window ? Any help, advice, suggestions welcome. Dave

Post #164184717th Apr 2016 10:58 am
millsd3

Quick update.

All connections checked on head unit and amp (under passenger seat) seem ok.
Connections to driver rear window and rear screen aerials seem ok. Checked the blue (power?) input to drivers side aerial amplifier on tailgate but only 10.2V. Battery with car running close to 15V. In trying to trace cable routing, I've noticed it's wet under the front LHS carpet. Anyone know if the aerial amp or aerial signal wiring runs this way or if the aerial amp will stop working with less than 12V power ? Thanks, Dave

Post #164231318th Apr 2016 8:35 am
CliffordAE

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had this a while ago, including the wet LHS footwell.

Unfortunately I don't really have a solution, mine fixed itself. It happened a few days running when the car was being used every day, the last being while I was on the way to the airport to go away for a long weekend; after being parked up and left to its own devices for three days, when I got back it had lowered itself and locked into access mode. When I got back in and raised it up again, the radio worked (probably better than it had done before).

It hasn't done it again, even with the wet footwell (a different issue which is fixed now, thankfully).

I got the battery checked a little while after during a service at an indie and apparently all is well on that front...in the end, I've put it down to a Land Rover-ism.

I appreciate it might not be much help, but not using the car for a few days might just work like it did for me.
 Ant

2005 D3 SE, Zambezi Silver
Auto lights/wipers
Memory seats (which are getting a bit forgetful)
Heated front & rear seats
Alpine roof
Hi-Line audio
Premium Sat Nav
Off Road Nav
4x4 info 

Post #164242218th Apr 2016 2:09 pm
millsd3

Thanks for the response, I've seen a few posts where the problem seems to rectify itself. I found an interesting post where you can get the headset into diagnostic mode. Ignition off, power the head set off, power back on and then hold the select button on the RHS down for 10 seconds, a scrollable menu will appear. Hold the select button down for another 10 seconds and another menu appears where you seem to be able to reset the unit and change some settings. You get to a page where the FM preset channel displays - mine says 95.8 (capital) FStr 5, Qual 0 - scroll again and you get the AM setting, mine says FS M, Ant 0 on the next setting 95.8, Ant 1 - I'm assuming this is pointing to Antenna/signal quality issues rather than the headset itself - switch off to exit the diag mode. I'd be interested if anyone has any instructions for driving the diagnostics or what the Qual and Ant values are on a working headset ..... also could I rig up a temporary antenna directly to the headset to either prove/disprove where the fault is ....thanks, Dave

Post #164246318th Apr 2016 4:17 pm
millsd3

OK, can't find anything obvious, looking at the wiring diagrams I suspect the diversity amplifier module may be faulty or have poor connections - I won't be able to have a closer look until tomorrow. Does anyone know if any codes would be logged for this kind of fault ? or a part number for the module so I can at least have an idea of cost to replace ? thanks, Dave

Post #164620726th Apr 2016 9:22 am
millsd3

5H22 18K891 KA is the part number if anyone has similar problems, one on it's way through eBay. Bit of a PITA to get to as headlining needs to be lowered. Will let you know if the module fixes the problem - fingers crossed it's not the head unit as they seem to be shockingly expensive ..... Dave

Post #164687627th Apr 2016 2:49 pm
millsd3

Latest .... bought a Fakra aerial adapter and a car aerial for less than a tenner, plugged it directly into the head unit, radio still won't "find" any stations when scanning frequencies. Unless anyone has any other ideas (maybe software flash ?) looks like a new head unit @ £600 plus VAT Big Cry ... Dave

Post #16509826th May 2016 10:54 am
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had this with the bluetooth for the phone. I could turn the volume up and down and see it go up on the radio screen but no sound. Could not select a channel either. It was something to do with the phone cutting out the radio when a call came through. I'll ask the guy that fixed it for me, it took him 2mins

Post #16509876th May 2016 11:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >