Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Difficult to select reverse when cold?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tucker_j

England 
Difficult to select reverse when cold?

Hello, Tucker here - first time poster and proud owner of D3 for 7 days!

I have a six month old TDV6 S manual, purchased as an ex-demonstrator. She's done around 8,000 miles.

I have noticed that first thing in the morning when I start her from cold it is incredibly difficult to select reverse gear. The lever just doesn't want to go in! 1st gear is also a bit resistant but all the time, not just when cold.

It does eventually select, doesn't grind and all other gears are fine. Reverse is also fine once it's been selected once. My Disco 2 was always unwilling to go into 1st.

Is this just a typical Land Rover gear box or should I get it checked out?? Anyone else suffering similar symptoms?

Post #208441st Oct 2005 6:03 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi Tucker, welcome to DISCO3 Very Happy

I have the same issue, I made the mistake of taking it into a dealer to get it fixed and they just made things worse for a while, see this thread for the whole story. Nowadays when the engine is cold I just put it into first and second before trying reverse and it goes straight in.

Do you park on a slope at all? I find that makes it slightly worse

Si
 The End  
Post #208481st Oct 2005 6:25 pm
BN

England 

Eat 3 Weetabix Wink

Post #208611st Oct 2005 7:25 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Tucker, just had a look at your website, you have a talent with words Very Happy
 The End  
Post #211032nd Oct 2005 9:48 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Looking at your site... are you a BBC chap ?

If so where and what ?

-s

Post #211052nd Oct 2005 10:16 pm
tucker_j

England 

No, parked on the level. I will apply the extra weetabix and select first gear before reverse method. It's just like my Disco 2! - Nice to see some consistency in the products Very Happy

Thank you for the kind words regarding my website. I'm assuming your refering to the BBC logo and didn't make it into the shared area as you would know what the link was Wink

I work in IT Services and between 1998 and 2000 I worked for a company providing break-fix maintenance to the desktop & laptops at all UK BBC offices. We had a team based in TVC in the arches at the back of the site, and staff at White City, Broadcasting House, Bush House - as well as Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol & Cardiff. I expect some of the people I used to work with are still there.

When one of my fellow managers wanted to disappear for a few hours they would say they were visiting the BBC. About 8 of us used to go to London once a quarter and get very, very drunk - these are known to this day as 'BBC Days'

Post #211203rd Oct 2005 7:56 am
tucker_j

England 

Slimer wrote:

I have the same issue, I made the mistake of taking it into a dealer to get it fixed and they just made things worse for a while, see this thread for the whole story. Nowadays when the engine is cold I just put it into first and second before trying reverse and it goes straight in.

Si

Censored , just read your thread. I'm now wondering if the terrible back pain I suffered this time last week was as a result of sitting awkwardly in the office as I originally suspected. The previous day I spent two hours driving the new disco. I didn't find the seat uncomfortable at the time but now you mention it Crying or Very sad

Post #211223rd Oct 2005 8:05 am
BN

England 

tucker_j wrote:
Slimer wrote:

Si

Censored , just read your thread. I'm now wondering if the terrible back pain I suffered this time last week was as a result of sitting awkwardly in the office as I originally suspected. The previous day I spent two hours driving the new disco. I didn't find the seat uncomfortable at the time but now you mention it Crying or Very sad

But now you mention it the seats are bloody aweful. We have a fix, but as yet I have not managed to get it done to get things moving. Not my fault, the D3 broke down the week it was supposed to be done as the Webasto. Now I am abroad next week so planning to get it done before Wales with a lot of luck?

Post #211283rd Oct 2005 8:20 am
Ian

Scotland 

Hi Tucker

Had the same problem from around 4,000mls.

Complained to the dealer and eventually they fitted a new gearbox after 8,000mls. The new box has around 2500mls on it now and its going the same way - reverse getting very stiff and also 1st & 2nd.

Ian

Post #212393rd Oct 2005 6:38 pm
BN

England 

Ian wrote:
Hi Tucker

Had the same problem from around 4,000mls.

Complained to the dealer and eventually they fitted a new gearbox after 8,000mls. The new box has around 2500mls on it now and its going the same way - reverse getting very stiff and also 1st & 2nd.

Ian

Ian, you must stop putting porridge in the gear box Shocked

Post #212493rd Oct 2005 7:27 pm
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Blimey this sounds familiar.

My Disco is going to the dealer on Thursday due to 1st gear problems Exclamation

I am finding it harder and harder as the miles roll on to get it into 1st especially when the engine is cold.

I will keep you all informed.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #213523rd Oct 2005 9:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Although I still have the reverse gear issue since I got past about 7000 miles the forward gears are much smoother. Come to think of it it's since Tixover Shocked Something obviously got knocked into the right place Very Happy
 The End  
Post #213643rd Oct 2005 10:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >