DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EGRs - simultaneous fault. Electrical?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bob5

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
EGRs - simultaneous fault. Electrical?

Fault Symptoms and Code
Driving around OK this afternoon. Stopped for fuel then set off again; crept up to forecourt exit then went to pull out onto road to suddenly find no pulling power at all and noticed amber engine warning light on. Stopped and tried a couple of restarts; fault didn't clear. Car was driveable so set off to local garage to get codes read. Once revs above 2,500 went zipping off again fine and dandy. This could be repeated many times as I drove to the other side of town. Local garage read the codes with a Snap-On tablet. Cant' remember numbers (doh!), but both Bank A and B EGR's had identical Circulation faults, occurring at the same time.

My reasoning and checks so far
a) NOT a fuel fault despite location it occurred at - it happened immediately on leaving fuel station with no time for new fuel to get through to engine(?) and there wasn't a queue of sick cars in the next mile or so. Runs fine once revs are up.
b) The simultaneous fault (both EGR's) is unlikely to be mechanical(?) - affected both units at same time with same fault, I figure it is more likely to be something common to both EGR's(?).
c) have checked fuse 17 in engine compartment (MAF and EGR) and that seems OK (Barn1e mentions this in a post). Pushed and pulled the fuse in/out a few times to make sure it made good contact. This had been my great hope given the simultaneous failure of both units with identical fault.
d) is there any other common element that could cause both to fail identically at the same time?

Thanks to forum members and the numerous EGR posts I am well read on virtues of blanking EGR's and the ability to blank Euro 4 engines with Bell Autos kit including emulator to manage the dash warning light.

Would like to eliminate anything simple and common to both units first. Any ideas please?

Many thanks,

Bob.
 RLD Spare Wheel Protector.
56k miles 4 new lower suspension arms, supplied by Steve at Advanced Factors.
75k miles Megaflush by Geoff.
75k miles Transfer box oil change by Flack.
81k miles Suspension compressor replaced Ripon LR.
85k miles Diff oils changed Ripon LR.
88k miles 7yr service inc 3 belts + water pump + ancillary tension pulley by Flack.
89k miles New EGR valves, Valeo OEM, by Discovery Centre, Otley.
91k miles New NSR Upper Suspension Arm, Quattro Autocare, Riccall 

Post #159376115th Jan 2016 8:47 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I wouldn't trust a snap on reader on a Landrover D3 but it would be better to get the egr valves blanked off

Post #159379315th Jan 2016 10:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >