Damp Disco UPDATED !! any help appreciated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Damp Disco UPDATED !! any help appreciated

i have posted about this previously but had no comments,

still have a very wet rearmost seat and others feel a bit sticky/damp also

i think it is maybe due to not being used regularly, there is NO leaking anywhere so i can only presume its the lack of use and airing,

has anyone else had /have this issue and what is the best way to control it
really need to try sort this out
thought about putting a heater in there on a timer but not really a safe idea

any help appreciated

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Last edited by Randylover on 3rd Jan 2016 5:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #158440429th Dec 2015 7:42 pm
Rockpaperscissors

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Randy

Are you sure you havnt got a leak??? have you checked the shark fin on the roof?

Post #158440629th Dec 2015 7:45 pm
Randylover

yep checked everywhere all roof lining and carpets bone dry just have one very damp seat and others feel a bit sticky damp
the rearmost are for the most part left down
confused.com Big Cry Rolling Eyes

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #158440729th Dec 2015 7:46 pm
Rockpaperscissors

That is strange. what about the spare wheel winch cover IIRC that can let water in when fording.

Only thing id suggest is to get someone sitting in the back and go for a drive in this weather or put the hose over it with them inside.

Water is a Censored to find

Post #158441129th Dec 2015 7:52 pm
Randylover

the point is it hasn't really been far and not really driven in rain recently
the wheel winch cover is on and the rear passenger seat pad is the dampest almost really wet like i say it lives mostly down and the carpet underneath it is dry

it must be from climate in car ie condensation and damp air i really cant think of anything else

Andy

Mods:

Post #158442429th Dec 2015 8:11 pm
dlw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Have you checked your door seals? Mine keep coming loose for some reason and they might get some sealant soon to hold them on.

Post #158446329th Dec 2015 9:27 pm
Randylover

Afternoon chaps

After the heavy rain over the last couple of days i just went out to check for any leaks.

didnt see any visible leaks but the headlining at the rear is very wet on one corner
after removing the rear plastic panel which houses the top boot light and prising the headliner down as much as i can till i remove it i can see what is on the pix,
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

is this condensation or is it because of a leak?
does not seem to be an obvious leak around the shark fin blank plate but i am going to remove and re seal anyway as a precaution, if it is a leak somewhere, where would i need to be looking, the seal around the tailgate seems fine
coould it be leaking from the roof rail screw points ??

really want to get this sorted as when i went in yesterday there was a slight bit of mould forming on one of the rear seats due to it feeling so damp Big Cry Big Cry

Andy

Mods:

Post #15866493rd Jan 2016 5:20 pm
Randylover

i think ill just have to remove the roof liner and see what i find Rolling Eyes Big Cry

Mods:

Post #15866543rd Jan 2016 5:23 pm
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Looks like condensation to me button no expert is the AC working So this should dry the car out, I used to leave a dehumidifier in my old van due to condensation and it dried it out a treat hope you find it

Post #15866613rd Jan 2016 5:29 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

As a landlord and thus an expert on condensation (unfortunately), I am pretty sure that is condensation, My advise is to get one of these and dry it out. We use them when the students don't leave a window cracked open, they work really well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F1DNYPE/ref=...THVMN212WG

Or if you are near by, I have a really good electric dehumidifier, which we could stick in your car for an hour, that will clear it up.

You might have a water leak somewhere though, as condensation normally forms when damp air hits a warm area and then condensates, there has to be damp in the first place if that makes any sense, but I would first start by drying it out. When I used to have convertibles and no garages I used to park my car in a friends spray painting oven for half an hour to dry it out over the winter, otherwise the water used to run down the windscreen from the condensation caused by the damp convertible roof.

Post #15867763rd Jan 2016 8:12 pm
Rockpaperscissors

That certainly looks like condensation but water needs to to be getting in to create it in the first place. Are the rear side windows at the top ok, can you see any thing obvious with the bonding.

Post #15868373rd Jan 2016 9:40 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Had a leak recently coming in from the shark fin water was dripping from the boot light.
Had it into the dealer who re sealed the fin been fine since as said you need to dry it out before sealing anything.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #15868773rd Jan 2016 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Randylover

Cheers for the replies guys
I am going to remove the headlining then make sure it's dried out,then I will go through checking for ingress,

David, thx for the offer bit too far tho, but I have already put one of those you linked to in the car and I do have a small electric de humidifier so I will try that also

Again thanks all : Thumbs Up

Andy

Mods:

Post #15868843rd Jan 2016 10:56 pm
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have some of the aero things, one I my D3 when I go away and sleep in it over a week or so it can collect about 1/2-3/4 inch of water. The others I use in the conservatory and each bedroom really impressed by them. I just put mine next to the gear stick so air flows and no issues.

Bought from B&Q when they were on offer at £8 each and the refil packs are £6 for two.
 Goodyear Duratracs
Pirelli ATR gone
GG AT Gone
RLD Spare wheel protector
Leeds - London weekly return
Club ctek mxs10
Yorkshire 4x4 Response 

Post #15884206th Jan 2016 5:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >