Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof rack mounted lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nessie, thanks for the great pics. It is very clear to me how the lights are mounted. Thumbs Up

Drivesafe, good comments, I will see if I can find someone that has roof lights fitted. Probably not a D3, I seem to be the only one in the dutch LR club that is modifying his D3... Shocked But there are plenty of D2's and RR's around that have lights fitted.
If your light bar is removable, how do you connect teh wiring? Did you fit a waterproof connector somewhere? I would like to have the option of removing the roof rack and the lights when required, so I need some kind of connector in the cabling...

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated!
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #19623728th Aug 2007 10:53 pm
Beaker

TFC, I have been thinking about bumper mounted lights too. I admit that the LR bumper mounted lights look very nice, but I don't care much for the A-bar. Problem is that LR lights are ridiculously expensive, and I dont like the drilling in the bumper. Also, roof rack mounted lights look very 8) , which offfsets the impracticality up to certain point Laughing

Is the glare a big problem, even with decent spot lights? Is there a difference between brands/types w.r.t. glare?
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Last edited by Beaker on 28th Aug 2007 11:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19624028th Aug 2007 10:58 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

there will be a few D3's in Morocco with roof lights and waterproof connectors to enable the rack to be removed Wink
sure you'll have a few minutes to have a look round 8)

Post #19624128th Aug 2007 10:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beaker

Ooooh, but then I need to be patient for a while still..... Laughing
Powered by  

Post #19624328th Aug 2007 11:02 pm
10forcash

as above, see for yourself - but the pic below illustrates my point nicely Wink
Chris Tyler's modified grille could be a solution for you Shocked you don't have to use the LR lights, the switch can be bought seperately and wired without interference with the CJB

Post #19624528th Aug 2007 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beaker

I see your point.... Could a different type of lights give better results/less glare?

I was thinking about a separate switch anyway. I want three positions: permanently off, permanently on, and on with high beam. This should be easily achieved with a relay, although the actual installation of the wiring could prove a bit tricky. What would be the best location for the switch?

Where are those waterproof connectors for the roof lights fitted? In the roof rails, or is there a better place?
Powered by  

Post #19624828th Aug 2007 11:14 pm
10forcash

those are the Warn lights.... Rolling Eyes yep, different lights give different results, but all give some 'bounce' to some extent
most of the rack connectors have been fitted in the space between the tailgate seal and the rear lights although a couple have succesfully been installed using the 'A' pillars as the cable route and the scuttle panel as the connector point

Post #19626328th Aug 2007 11:47 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi 10forcash, I think you will find Rally cars put the lights on the front for both aerodynamics and to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible.

Hi again Beaker, my lights a fixed to the single 3/4” square steel tube that just slots into place and is held there by two nuts and bolts.

All the lights have there cables made up into an 8 wire loom that simply lays down one side of the windscreen and runs into the engine bay via the back edge of the bonnet.

I have all the relays and an 8 way plug near the battery and the loom from the roof just plugs in and the plugs don’t need to be water proof.

The whole thing take no more than 3 minutes to fit or remove.

As to the lights being mounted at the front of the roof and lighting up the bonnet, you could take a page from the railways experience of this type of set up and put shades under the lights to block light shinning on the bonnet. See the pic below.

2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #19628629th Aug 2007 12:21 am
10forcash

drivesafe wrote:
As to the lights being mounted at the front of the roof and lighting up the bonnet, you could take a page from the railways experience of this type of set up and put shades under the lights to block light shinning on the bonnet. See the pic below.

sorta proves my point Wink Laughing Laughing
yer, rally cars have the lights in the bonnet pod for a few reasons - although a flat lens is a flat lens (and therefore creates drag) wherever you place them, the main factor is the trailing edge of the pod reducing the turbulence after the lights. having driven and maintained group N rally cars some years ago, the received wisdom was that 'up front' lights were more effective and fog lights were only any use less than 300mm above the track surface.

Post #19630429th Aug 2007 12:43 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

drivesafe wrote:
for both aerodynamics and to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible

As if either make a blind bit of difference on a D3 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

BTW why is the engine on it's side Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #19630829th Aug 2007 12:49 am
drivesafe

Australia 

DG wrote:
drivesafe wrote:
for both aerodynamics and to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible

As if either make a blind bit of difference on a D3 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Exactly my point, you really can’t compere a rally car to a D3.

DG wrote:
BTW why is the engine on it's side Confused

The engine was on it’s side because it had been working hard and decided to lay down and have a rest NOT.

2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #19631429th Aug 2007 1:06 am
tadpole

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

can you help me with the wiring route for my g4 roof rack with spots Exclamation

Post #71848320th Nov 2010 1:46 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Try here
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic53176.html?highlight=

I received some excellent suggestions.

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #71854220th Nov 2010 6:22 pm
tadpole

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

many thanks nasher ,looks like we are going to be sorted thanks for the thread
cheers paul Surprised

Post #71885721st Nov 2010 5:51 pm
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

drivesafe wrote:
I think you will find Rally cars put the lights on the front for both aerodynamics and to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible.

Er, not really. They weigh Censored all and aerodynamics is not a big issue especially on gravel events.

The key difference is that when rallying you know there's a reasonably good road / track and all you need to do is point the car at it and try and spot corners. When you're off road you need more information to decide what route to take / spot landmarks / etc. Compare the difference of drivesafe to me the other weekend!!:

Click image to enlarge

The bonnet pods are close to being at the eye line of the driver and are good enough...one drawback though is "puddles" of blackness where the road drops away below the lightbeams. I guess roof-mounted spots would help with this as they could spread downwards more.
 Andrew  
Post #71893621st Nov 2010 7:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >