Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

HDC, Transmissionn and Suspension Faults - URGENT!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
overmuchogrande

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
HDC, Transmissionn and Suspension Faults - URGENT!

Hi All

Just towed a trailer from the UK to Austria and during the German leg, I had three warnings come up simultaneously, Transmission Failure, HDC Failure and Suspension Failure resulting in 3 orange warning lights on the dashboard and the suspension lowered whilst on the move. We also noticed that the brake lights were flickering on and off when not pressing the brake pedal (We could see the reflection in the trailer)

We pulled over into a service station, got out had a quick lookaround but could not see anything immediately amiss, so read the handbook and it was less than usefull to be honest.

Had a search around on the forum and seem to get conflicting ideas about what it could be. I have a voltmeter with me so tomorrow (it is beer time now and snowing) I will go and check the battery volts, the alternator voltage to see what they come up with but does anyone else have any suggestions of other things to check. I have seen a feew posts about a fault brake light switch any ideas how much they are?

Post #14044569th Jan 2015 5:02 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If brake lights flicking on and off, then id start with the brake pedal switch. About £15.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #14044589th Jan 2015 5:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
overmuchogrande

Thanks for the quick reply will see if I can find a dealership locally tomorrow.

Please shout up with any more ideas as I am here for 2 weeks towing a trailer with a car with kids in it so need to have the D3 working!

Post #14044599th Jan 2015 5:09 pm
Scarab

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I reckon Bodsy has probably hit it on the head.
Other things to check would be a brake light bulb out/loose/on it's way out somewhere.

If you've never changed the Brake switch, it's nice and easy to do and cheap so worth a shot.

Post #14044619th Jan 2015 5:13 pm
overmuchogrande

Cheers for the reply, I fitted 2 new rear brake light lenses about 3 months ago and put new bulbs in them then (purely for good measure!) but will add your suggestion to the list to check those, the connections and the bulbs in the morning.

Post #14044669th Jan 2015 5:20 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Change the switch and the bulbs. Happened to me many times

Then upgrade to some d4 rear lights

Post #14044709th Jan 2015 5:24 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you can't source a switch locally, I kept my old one which was working fine and changed as a matter of course and could post it out to you if you get desperate.

Can ship it Monday if this helps, should get there before you return. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #14045709th Jan 2015 7:19 pm
mx468

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Just a heads up, I've been dealing with this same problem for a few months and switched out my brake switch, it seemed fine for a while than it happened again while driving on the highway. I had some faults stored up and I performed a hard reset to clear out all codes and this seemed to fix my suspension, hdc transmission problems along with the new brake switch. 600 miles later and everything is a okay. Knock on wood. Smile
 Narpy's Grill Mod, Suspension Rods, Ultra guage, wrangler Goodyear duratracs 265/60/18, new thermostat, diff oils changed, brake switch new, aluminum rack floor, LED driving lights in foglights, rear camera, just need gvif unit, next on list! New front arb bushings, new front valve block, 191,000 miles.  
Post #14045899th Jan 2015 7:29 pm
overmuchogrande

[quote="Narpy"]If you can't source a switch locally, I kept my old one which was working fine and changed as a matter of course and could post it out to you if you get desperate.

Can ship it Monday if this helps, should get there before you return. Thumbs Up[/quote]

Hi Narpy

There is a LR dealership about 30 miles away which has a parts centre, I am going to go up on Monday and see if I can get one from them.
If I am struggling, I will take you up on your kind offer so I will let you know on Monday.

Thanks again

Post #140493110th Jan 2015 11:16 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Ok no probs. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #140493410th Jan 2015 11:19 am
overmuchogrande

Took the disco to the dealer and they had a look, the brake switch was a bit loose so they tightened it up, replaced a rear bulb which they said was low voltage and cleared the fault codes.
The best bit was they even though they had the car for about half an hour and did the bits above, they would not take any money off me for doing it! Superb customer service from Frey Autohaus in Salzburg.

No faults or messages on the way back from Salzburg to where I am staying (about 60 miles) so at the moment, fingers crossed, it all looks good.

Post #140649612th Jan 2015 5:10 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have had similar excellent Service in Switzerland at no cost. I do wonder whether foreign drivers over here get similar treatment from UK dealers.

Post #140661012th Jan 2015 7:41 pm
L7APK

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

sean 471 wrote:
Change the switch and the bulbs. Happened to me many times

Then upgrade to some d4 rear lights

I agree with this, I replaced the brake light switch and all the rear light bulbs and it sorted out the fault.

Post #140731713th Jan 2015 10:31 pm
hillstrubl

United States 
At my wits end...

I've been dealing with this trio of failures on and off for a month or so. Initially I replaced the brake switch, good to go. Had it happen 2 weeks later, replaced it again, 1 more week of no lights. Now its back and nearly 100% of the time. HDC failure, parking brake, cruise control off, suspension lowered. I'm sick of driving a low rider.

On Saturday I pulled up the passenger side (LHD, NA market vehicle, Starboard side) and found 1" of standing water and SOAKING carpets (from the bottom, the top was still somehow dry). I pulled off all the trim I could find and put a fan in. Parked it all weekend into the sun and let it dry. Here's my problem, yes there was water there and yes its all dry, but it was definitely "more" wet closer to the sill and closer to the front of the vehicle then to the console or to the back. and that is all dry now. I almost wish there was a visible corroded wire/connection there that I could've fixed, but other than the water it was all gleaming. Which leads me to believe that this water/leak hasn't been there for long. Now its definitely 100% of the time and the fault shows up immediately as opposed to 15-30 seconds after starting like before. WTF. Yes I probably shook something loose by pulling up the trim but I can't see how I'm not making forward progress.

Next, I'm renting a dehumidifier and just going to dry it further. Then I'm replacing ALL rear bulbs. Then if it continues the battery. If it continues further another brake switch replacement. Then I'm driving it off of a cliff.

[img]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/44458/D3_floor~0.tiff[/img]

Last edited by hillstrubl on 24th Aug 2015 3:46 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #151954124th Aug 2015 3:42 pm
hillstrubl

United States 

duplicate post

Post #151954324th Aug 2015 3:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >