Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

fbh question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
fbh question

i have just been reading up on how to fit a fbh timer in the wiki section and have a simple question to ask anyone who might be able to help me

my question is on my 2005 d3 i have the red wire in the block connector fitted from factory that has to be inserted for a timer to be fitted so does this mean i can just connect this wire to batt+ when my car is asleep and the fbh will run untill i switch it off or am i missing something more important thanks for any help
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #156671824th Nov 2015 6:05 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

No, that wont work. The wire is a connection to the WBUS interface on the FBH. It is used as a communications channel to the FBH and suitable messages must be sent for the FBH to do anything. This is what the various "park heater" options do - they control the FBH by sending messages via the WBUS.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #156673024th Nov 2015 6:25 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There's a bit more to it than that. You need a compatible controller that can send the requisite WBUS signal to the heater. Webasto make just the thing. Read all about it here including links to posts where other members like Stapldm and Wiggs have modified this further to allow remote access using a mobile phone and other forms of remote control. There are also various after-market systems available which the Wiki mentions or you can find information on by searching this site.

As chap above said ^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater

I've just fitted my controller unit with a GSM remote relay. Got the heater working on the Webasto button and the GSM relay talking to my phone but haven't actually tested it fires up when I call it. Might try it tonight as I have a reason to go out. Just need to call it about 30 mins before I want to use it.

I'm reasonably competent when it comes to tinkering, and it wasn't as dificult as say rescuing my lower tailgate cable when that snapped, but I did need a local electronics shop to solder onto the controller PCB and total outlay was just over £100. Frankly it would probably have been worth buying one of the more complete after-market solutions once I factor in the overall time I spent.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #156673224th Nov 2015 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >